The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 08, 2016, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Back court violation exception for defender?

I'm sure this question has come up before but I cannot remember the ruling:
9.9.1D A1's throw in near the division line is deflected by B1. A2 jumps from his f/c, catches the ball and lands in b/c = violation. But what if B2 jumps from his f/c, catches the ball and lands in his b/c? Does B2 benefit from the defender exception resulting in no violation or does the ruling in 9.9.1D apply where it says, "The exception granted during a throw in ends when the throw in ends and is only for the player making the initial touch on the ball?"
Old Thu Dec 08, 2016, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
I'm sure this question has come up before but I cannot remember the ruling:
9.9.1D A1's throw in near the division line is deflected by B1. A2 jumps from his f/c, catches the ball and lands in b/c = violation. But what if B2 jumps from his f/c, catches the ball and lands in his b/c? Does B2 benefit from the defender exception resulting in no violation or does the ruling in 9.9.1D apply where it says, "The exception granted during a throw in ends when the throw in ends and is only for the player making the initial touch on the ball?"
The throwin ends when the ball is tipped so the throwin exception is now gone. I think your question is that since A is the throwin team, after the ball is tipped can B jump from FC, secure ball in air and land in BC under the DEFENSE exception. Is B the "defense" since they are not the throwin team.

It's late, but I'm thinking that even though B isn't throwing ball in they aren't considered the defense yet. Once team control inbounds is established we know who is offense and defense. So in your play, since no team has established control inbounds yet, B cannot be considered the defense. Exception does not apply.

That's my 1030 pm answer
Old Fri Dec 09, 2016, 05:19am
Official Forum Member

When in doubt, consider the ruling prior to 2011 when TC during a throw-in was added to the NFHS.
The NFHS has stated that it did not desire to alter any rulings for violations with the TC rule addition.
Therefore, if this play was legal in 2010, it is legal now. If it was illegal, then it is illegal now.
Due to this logic the BigCat has posted the correct answer above. Neither team is the offense for purposes of violations until player and team control is established INBOUNDS. Therefore, there is no defense and no defensive exception.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2016, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

From 2006-2007:

SITUATION 7: Team A is making a throw-in near the division line in the team's backcourt (Team B's frontcourt). A1's throw-in is deflected by B1, who is applying direct pressure on A1. B2 jumps from his/her frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team B. The throw-in ends with B1's deflection (legal touch). When B2 gains possession/ control in the air, he/she has frontcourt status. A backcourt violation has occurred when B2 lands in backcourt. (9-9-1; 9-9-3)
Old Fri Dec 09, 2016, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Guys.