The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 24, 2016, 06:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Happy Thanksgiving ...

“Our modern celebration of Thanksgiving can be traced back to the early 17th century. Upon arriving in Plymouth, at the culmination of months of testing travel that resulted in death and disease, the Pilgrims continued to face great challenges. An indigenous people, the Wampanoag, helped them adjust to their new home, teaching them critical survival techniques and important crop cultivation methods. After securing a bountiful harvest, the settlers and Wampanoag joined in fellowship for a shared dinner to celebrate powerful traditions that are still observed at Thanksgiving today: lifting one another up, enjoying time with those around us, and appreciating all that we have.” (Barack Obama, November 20, 2015)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 24, 2016, 08:36am
Administrator

Happy Thanksgiving to every member of the Forums and their families!
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Nov 24, 2016, 10:51am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

HAPPY TURKEY DAY!! Hope you all have a delicious meal to celebrate. BTW - what happened to the turkey who got into a fight? He got the stuffing knocked out of him!
Old Thu Nov 24, 2016, 12:34pm
Administrator

Why I am thankful today!

One of the Facebook groups I am part of is Philly Ref. I know that many of you read the Philly Ref website and there are many good articles on it. But today the following article was posted on the Philly Ref Facebook page:

Alabama basketball referee collapses and dies during high school game | | USA Today High School Sports

My heart goes out to Rodney Nowell's family in their time of sorrow.

Many of the members on the Basketball Forum remember one of our long time posters: Daryl H. Long, also known as "The Preacher". Daryl and I have officiated basketball together for almost 30 years including every level from JrHS to women's college, Special Olympics, and AAU and YBOA Nationals. This past August 17th, Daryl had a stroke, and has lost the complete use of the left side of his body. And will probably never walk again. He is only 58 years old.

Situations like these reminds us all how everything in life can be great one moment and out of no where it can come crashing down the next moment. I know because on October 10th, my life changed forever. Until now, only three other members (not including Daryl and Mark, Jr.) of the Basketball Forum knew of what I am about to say: I had a stroke. BUT!! I was a very lucky stroke victim. While I the stroke affected the entire right side of my body (it is numb and it will take almost a year for the numbness to go away) I never lost the use of my extremities.

This coming Friday is the first day of the girls' basketball season in Ohio (the boys start one week later) and I have been cleared to officiate this season and Mark, Jr., have a girls' JV game on Friday night. It means that I will be able to officiate basketball and umpire baseball and softball with Junior for another school year and play golf with Junior (older Son #1) and Andy (younger Son #1) for another Summer. I will be able to attend Andy's college graduation in May and dance with Bonnie Jean (my "better half") at his wedding in August.

I was lucky and for that I am very thankful and for my very supportive family and friends on this day of Thanksgiving. But we all know brothers and sisters in our avocation that have not been so lucky as we have been so please let us not forget them.

Now I am going to make a pitch. I am not looking for sympathy for myself but Daryl is having a rough time adapting his situation. I can understand how difficult it is when a friend goes through what Daryl is going through, but I think it would be a great moral booster if everybody who has ever interacted with Daryl would send him a card at his assisted living residence:

Daryl H. Long
Ridgewood Manor, Room 125
Maumee, Ohio 435367

I know that it will make Daryl's day. Thank you all in advance and once again I hope that everyone and their families have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio