The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 19, 2016, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

NBA Timeouts

Hey guys. I know in the NBA there are specific rules about mandatory timeouts being taken at specific times in the quarters and rules around which team those timeouts are charged to. My question is what if, let's say, a team runs out of all of its timeouts by the second quarter. The rules stipulate mandatory timeouts still need to be called by the officials in the third and fourth quarters and some will be charged to the team out of timeouts. But would those mandatory timeouts still be taken? If so how can they be charged to the team with no timeouts left?

Would appreciate any help on this. Also if a team had only a 20 second timeout left but was schedule to be charged the mandatory timeout, would they keep the 20 second time out or would the mandatory timeout be charged to that team for their 20 second timeout?
Old Sat Nov 19, 2016, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, the mandatories will still be taken. The team will be charged a timeout...which is excessive. Upon resuming play, the opponent will shoot a free throw for the excessive timeout. Under NBA rules, following a T for excessive TO's the opponent is also awarded possession of the ball.

If a team only has a 20 left, they'd be charged a TO and lose their 20.

Correction: The 20 can not be used as a mandatory. Therefore, the earlier situation would apply
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Sat Nov 19, 2016 at 11:54pm. Reason: fixed error
Old Sun Nov 20, 2016, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Thanks APG. Interesting. And I'm assuming all mandatory timeouts are charges as full timeouts (Not 20s)?
Old Sun Nov 20, 2016, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan1967 View Post
Thanks APG. Interesting. And I'm assuming all mandatory timeouts are charges as full timeouts (Not 20s)?
Mandatory timeouts are charged as regular (full) timeouts.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Thu Jan 05, 2017, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Hey guys. Two more questions:

1. I know each quarter has specific rules saying at which times mandatory timeouts have to be taken. If teams call the timeouts themselves before the cutoffs (eg 3 minutes, 6 minutes, 9 minutes) and the mandatory timeouts aren't needed, how is it determined which full timeout is 60 seconds and which is 100? I know each quarter has a specified required number of 100 second timeouts but not sure how it works when a team calls full timeouts to negate the need for the mandatory timeouts. I can see a quarter where no mandatory timeouts are called by the refs but rather each team calls the timeouts themselves before the applicable required time. In which case it isn't clear to me how it is decided which of the timeouts are 100 seconds and which are 60 seconds.

2. A timeout is required to be called before the 6 minute mark of first quarter. What if no full timeout has been called but a 20 second timeout has been called? Would a mandatory timeout have to be taken at the 6 minute mark?
Old Fri Jan 06, 2017, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan1967 View Post
Hey guys. Two more questions:

1. I know each quarter has specific rules saying at which times mandatory timeouts have to be taken. If teams call the timeouts themselves before the cutoffs (eg 3 minutes, 6 minutes, 9 minutes) and the mandatory timeouts aren't needed, how is it determined which full timeout is 60 seconds and which is 100? I know each quarter has a specified required number of 100 second timeouts but not sure how it works when a team calls full timeouts to negate the need for the mandatory timeouts. I can see a quarter where no mandatory timeouts are called by the refs but rather each team calls the timeouts themselves before the applicable required time. In which case it isn't clear to me how it is decided which of the timeouts are 100 seconds and which are 60 seconds.

2. A timeout is required to be called before the 6 minute mark of first quarter. What if no full timeout has been called but a 20 second timeout has been called? Would a mandatory timeout have to be taken at the 6 minute mark?
1.) Regular timeouts are 100 seconds if a mandatory...60 seconds if not. For instance if a team takes two early fulls in the 1st quarter....they will be 100 seconds. Any other regular TO called in the quarter will be 60 seconds in length.

2.) If a team calls a 20 second timeout and it's below the delineated time...two things can happen. If team A calls the 20 and is due to be charged a timeout then the 20 second timeout is given back to A and it'll be charged with a full. It'll be 100 seconds in length. If team A calls a 20 and team B is due to be charged with a timeout then Team A is charged the 20...and immediately afterward Team B will be charged with a full and that 100 second TO will begin.

If a team calls a 20 second at any other time then no it does not count toward the mandatory timeouts.

Old Fri Jan 06, 2017, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

This is great info thank you. So would the mandatory offciial's timeout that is charged to neither team at the 9 minute mark of the second and fourth quarters still be taken regardless of how many timeouts have been taken in the quarter by that point already? I would imagine yes since this isn't charged to either team but not sure and not unsure when it would be taken.