The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What T do you regret the most? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101817-what-t-do-you-regret-most.html)

BigT Thu Nov 10, 2016 02:09pm

What T do you regret the most?

I had a coach scream at his kids "Jesus Christ" and I didn't give him a T. Probably have more yet I would love to hear some of yours so I too dont call one that I would regret...

IncorrectCall Thu Nov 10, 2016 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 992869)
I had a coach scream at his kids "Jesus Christ" and I didn't give him a T. Probably have more yet I would love to hear some of yours so I too dont call one that I would regret...

Are you saying you should have..?

Adam Thu Nov 10, 2016 02:36pm

After giving a T to a player, the opposing coach started cheering and telling me to give him another one.

I should have given the coach one there.

Mark Padgett Thu Nov 10, 2016 02:39pm

I can't remember ever not giving one when one was deserved. That could be the main reason I gave out over 50,000 in my career. :cool:

BigT Thu Nov 10, 2016 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IncorrectCall (Post 992870)
Are you saying you should have..?

ART. 1

The head coach is responsible for his/her own conduct and behavior, as well as substitutes, disqualified team members and all other bench personnel. Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not:

Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as:

a. Disrespectfully addressing an official.

b. Attempting to influence an official's decision.

c. Using profane or inappropriate language or obscene gestures.

d. Disrespectfully addressing, baiting or taunting an opponent.

pro·fan·i·ty
prəˈfanədē/
noun
blasphemous or obscene language.
"an outburst of profanity"
synonyms: oath, swear word, expletive, curse, obscenity, four-letter word, dirty word; More
a swear word; an oath.
plural noun: profanities
irreligious or irreverent behavior.
synonyms: sacrilege, blasphemy, irreligion, ungodliness, impiety, irreverence, disrespect
"some traditional festivals were tainted with profanity"

blas·phe·my
ˈblasfəmē/Submit
noun
the act or offense of speaking sacrilegiously about God or sacred things; profane talk.
"he was detained on charges of blasphemy"
synonyms: profanity, sacrilege, irreligion, irreverence, taking the Lord's name in vain, swearing, curse, cursing, impiety, desecration; archaicexecration
"the nuns would punish me at least three times a week for my blasphemy"

Maybe I have pushed the definition of c above with my rose colored glasses.

What profanty do you pass on or call T's on when its shouted at the top of a coaches lungs (Question is for all)?

BigCat Thu Nov 10, 2016 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 992869)

Stay out of religion.

rockyroad Thu Nov 10, 2016 04:09pm

Screaming "Jesus Christ" is a widely known profanity...giving the coach a T for that has nothing to do with religion or staying out of religion.

BigCat Thu Nov 10, 2016 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 992882)
Screaming "Jesus Christ" is a widely known profanity...giving the coach a T for that has nothing to do with religion or staying out of religion.

Good Lord Rocky,

(I'm sure you will T me for that), "Jesus Christ" has nothing to do with religion? Why else do you consider it profanity?

Freddy Thu Nov 10, 2016 04:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 992883)
Good Lord Rocky,

(I'm sure you will T me for that), "Jesus Christ" has nothing to do with religion? Why else do you consider it profanity?

Maybe that coach was praying.

;)

SC Official Thu Nov 10, 2016 04:59pm

I don't have a single T in recent memory that I regret giving.

I regret not giving one in plenty of instances, however.

JRutledge Thu Nov 10, 2016 05:34pm

Quote:

What if I am Muslim or do not believe in anything to do with Christianity? Why would I care if someone made that comment?

Peace

Rich Thu Nov 10, 2016 06:33pm

Quote:

And yet it doesn't trip my trigger.

Adam Thu Nov 10, 2016 07:03pm

JC is going to be a regional thing. It would be expected to be called here. Profanity is, in fact, cultural. I'm ok with that.

VaTerp Fri Nov 11, 2016 02:26pm

Only T in recent memory I regret was a district championship game several years ago where during a dead ball two players got their arms tangled up and as they got them untangled one kid gave a little extra swing with his arms.

I called a T and my mindset at the time was that this was the 3rd time these two teams had played each other in 2 weeks and I wanted to clean the game up early as this was in the 1st quarter.

The HC who's kid I whacked did not like it at all obviously. And talking at half time with my partners, one didnt really like it. And I didnt really like it.

Saw the same HC at the state tournament later a few weeks later and I actually initiated a convo with him about it. He said that's one where I'd like to see an official get the kids together and say knock it off.

I actually agreed with him.

Oh and FTR, I cannot ever see myself giving a coach a T for saying JC TO HIS PLAYER. Its not something any of my assigners would want called either. IMO you are much better served leaving that one alone.

w_sohl Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:44am

Only one I regret... early in my career I was working a girls varsity game in N. Illinois. Coach didn't agree with my call and took his glasses off and asked if I needed them. I wacked him, but I wish I had just said that they weren't doing him any good so why would I want them. To this day I think he was testing me there to see what my response was and he would have appreciated the comment more.