The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Help requst: case play 9.2.10_B

As this case play was written it is clear how an "IF" would be called; however, suppose that given the same scenario (i.e., the ball being extended over the endline by A1 and into the inbounds side of the plane), please consider these fictional occurrences:

1) B2 grabs a hold of the ball--such that A1 and B2 are momentarily holding the ball at the same time while ball is on the 'inbounds side of the plane" for a few seconds and B2 making NO contact with A1.

or

2) B2 simply strips the ball from A1 without making any contact with A1 while ball is on the 'inbounds side of the plane" and subsequently initiates and offensive possession.

in #1 is it still and "IF"?
In #2 is it a 'play on' or some sort of violation?

My initial thought is that since NO contact was made by B2 in either 'case', then #1 = held ball; and #2 = play on. Admittedly this would be a 'sasquatch' kind of play, but I was curious as to what is the proper ruling?

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Mon Nov 14, 2016 at 11:43am.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 11:49am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
As this case play was written it is clear how an "IF" would be called; however, suppose that given the same scenario (i.e., the ball being extended over the endline by A1 and into the inbounds side of the plane), please consider these fictional occurrences:

1) B2 grabs a hold of the ball--such that A1 and B2 are momentarily holding the ball at the same time while ball is on the 'inbounds side of the plane" for a few seconds and B2 making NO contact with A1.

or

2) B2 simply strips the ball from A1 without making any contact with A1 while ball is on the 'inbounds side of the plane" and subsequently initiates and offensive possession.

in #1 is it still and "IF"?
In #2 is it a 'play on' or some sort of violation?

My initial thought is that since NO contact was made by B2 in either 'case', then #1 = held ball; and #2 = play on. Admittedly this would be a 'sasquatch' kind of play, but I was curious as to what is the proper ruling?
Your 1) is handled by 7.6.4E
Your 2) is legal, ala 7.6.4A
Right?
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

thanks a ton, Freddy.