The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 12, 2016, 09:45pm
This IS My Social Life

NFHS PowerPoint Presentation

When you listen to and watch either your state's voice-over version of this year's NFHS PowerPoint presentation on new rules, or to the NFHS presentation itself, see if you also can detect a mistake I think they make.
The words "or backboard" needed to be removed from last year's 9-1-3a, and they did in this year's rulebook. The NFHS presentation refers to this under its discussion of the "new" rule 9-1-3h, that "the words 'and backboard' were removed from this rule section", alluding to, I think the revised 9-1-3a. But also see if you notice how they wrongly also say that those words "and backboard" were removed from 9-1-3f when they discuss that slide. Removing those words from 9-1-3f was never in dispute and was not done in this year's book either.
This came up in another discussion on the matter.
See if you agree that this is obviously a mistake in the NFHS presentation. Otherwise we have a contradiction between the rulebook 9-1-3f and what the PowerPoint presentation says.
...Though admittedly on a relatively minor aspect of the free throw rule.

Last edited by Freddy; Wed Oct 12, 2016 at 09:48pm.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 02:29pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
...they wrongly also say that those words "and backboard" were removed from 9-1-3f when they discuss that slide. Removing those words from 9-1-3f was never in dispute and was not done in this year's book either.
Same boilerplate NFHS PowerPoint presentation was read by a director of another state I officiate in just read right through the slides without recognizing the mistake.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Where can we find NFHS's powerpoint?
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

"The head coach loses the opportunity to stand during live ball situations if a bench technical foul is assessed."

So, he can stand when the ball is dead?
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 05:08pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
"The head coach loses the opportunity to stand during live ball situations if a bench technical foul is assessed."

So, he can stand when the ball is dead?
during time outs?
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
during time outs?
The sentence I quoted is exactly what appears in the NFHS powerpoint and is not what the rules say.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 12:35pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Where can we find NFHS's powerpoint?
I think there might be a couple of different "NFHS PowerPoint" presentations distributed.
My comments are in reference to what some refer to as the boilerplate NFHS PowerPoint that many states use and "personalize" by having a state director do a voice-over reading of the words that are on the screen. The two states in which I work both do it that way. After a while it is available as a download, but for now it's only available on each state's respective website.
I think there's some other NFHS PowerPoint that some have mentioned which can be purchased from them. Not sure.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 03:14am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
When you listen to and watch either your state's voice-over version of this year's NFHS PowerPoint presentation on new rules, or to the NFHS presentation itself, see if you also can detect a mistake I think they make.
The words "or backboard" needed to be removed from last year's 9-1-3a, and they did in this year's rulebook. The NFHS presentation refers to this under its discussion of the "new" rule 9-1-3h, that "the words 'and backboard' were removed from this rule section", alluding to, I think the revised 9-1-3a. But also see if you notice how they wrongly also say that those words "and backboard" were removed from 9-1-3f when they discuss that slide. Removing those words from 9-1-3f was never in dispute and was not done in this year's book either.
This came up in another discussion on the matter.
See if you agree that this is obviously a mistake in the NFHS presentation. Otherwise we have a contradiction between the rulebook 9-1-3f and what the PowerPoint presentation says.
...Though admittedly on a relatively minor aspect of the free throw rule.
This from an official who mentioned to me he is a Texas rules interpreter:

"FYI - Received a rules clarification from Theresia Wynn at NFHS and she stated the removal of the “or backboard” in 9-1-3f was a mistake on the NFHS rules slideshow. Also, she stated the PowerPoint slide for rule 9-1-3f can be removed."