The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pre game technical (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101692-pre-game-technical.html)

Jim Cast Tue Oct 04, 2016 09:21am

Pre game technical

During warmup Player A dunks and hangs on the rim. A technical is called. Are two free throws awarded pre game? Does the game start with the opponent in position or a jump ball?

Raymond Tue Oct 04, 2016 09:26am

Depends on which rule set you are playing under.

Shooter14 Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:02am

In High School, NFHS, If A dunks; Indirect technical on head coach. One team foul towards 7/10. Coach has to sit during game. To start the game, member of Team B shoots two free throws, B gets the ball at half court, and after the throw-in has ended the arrow is set to team A.

Freddy Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shooter14 (Post 991428)
. . . after the throw-in has ended the arrow is set to team A.

Shooter's response is all correct except the above quote. The arrow is set to team A when the ball is placed at the disposal of the team B free thrower of the technical foul . . . NFHS Rule 4-3-3b.

Jim Cast Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:18am

Thank you for your response.

Altor Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:18am

Quote:

In High School, NFHS, If A dunks; Indirect technical on head coach. One team foul towards 7/10. Coach has to sit during game. To start the game, member of Team B shoots two free throws, B gets the ball at half court, and after the throw-in has ended the arrow is set to team A.

Didn't we just go over this in another thread? The arrow is set when the ball is made available to B for the throw-in.

Altor Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 991429)
Shooter's response is all correct except the above quote. The arrow is set to team A when the ball is placed at the disposal of the team B free thrower of the technical foul . . . NFHS Rule 4-3-3b.

*sigh*

Freddy Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 991432)
*sigh*

YIKES!
What was I thinking???
Doi.
I was wrong.
Duh.
Sorry.
Arrow set after ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower-inner after the free throws for a noncommon foul.
I deserve to be whipped.

Hugh Refner Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 991434)
YIKES! I deserve to be whipped.

Maybe you can find a hot mom. :cool:

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:57pm

Quote:

In High School, NFHS, If A dunks; Indirect technical on head coach. One team foul towards 7/10. Coach has to sit during game. To start the game, member of Team B shoots two free throws(or two team B members shoot one FT Each), B gets the ball at half court, and after the throw-in has ended the arrow is set to team A.

I fixed that for you.

BigCat Tue Oct 04, 2016 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 991436)
I fixed that for you.

but you also re published Freddy's brain cramp. The arrow is initially set toward A when the ball is at the disposal of the B inbounder. It is not changed when that throw in ends.

Shooter14 Tue Oct 04, 2016 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 991431)
Didn't we just go over this in another thread? The arrow is set when the ball is made available to B for the throw-in.

Ha. Obviously I haven't read that yet.

SeanFitzRef Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:34am

Soooooo, what if one player from each team dunks during pregame warm-ups?
Had it happen tonight...

just another ref Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef (Post 993815)
Soooooo, what if one player from each team dunks during pregame warm-ups?
Had it happen tonight...

Two separate T's, as opposed to a double T, if that's what you were thinking. Penalize in the order in which they occurred.

Ed Maeder Wed Nov 30, 2016 04:50am

We mentioned the indirect tech on the coach, But did we forget to charge the bench personnel who dunked the ball with a direct tech. 1 of their 2 towards DQ, 1 of their 5 towards DQ, and 1 towards team total for bonus.