The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 07, 2016, 05:06pm
9 times

Thumbs down What is up with AZ?

I just moved to AZ and called the local assignor about refereeing here. I was shocked to find out that the whole state does only 2-person! Most of the basketball world is on the 3-person bandwagon and they are woefully behind the times. Can someone explain the rationale for this as well as the possibility of changing this? I lived in Utah when the change to 3-person came about so I know that it is NOT ABOUT MONEY. Schools can fund raise the $500-1000 extra that it will cost.

Not sure that I want to go back to 2-person...

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Sep 07, 2016, 06:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And Some Local Boards Let You Wear A Belt ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
... AZ ... state does only 2-person.
You better not move to Connecticut.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Sep 07, 2016, 06:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Well, you have a decision to make. From what I hear the state controls ALL officiating assignments and all hoops are 2-person.

Good time to retire, perhaps.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2016, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

After moving from PA to AZ I found that all games are 2 person and there is very few colleges to officiate. The reason that I have been given is that schools cannot afford the increased costs in addition, it would be extremely difficult to get all the officials up to speed on 3 person. It actually is not as bad as it seems.

Yes 3 person would be better but for now it is what it is.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2016, 10:23pm
High Five Master

Most of the schools around me are 2 person. Just gotta deal with it.

Look on the bright side, you never have to worry about going back and forth from 2p-3p!
Old Thu Sep 08, 2016, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

The VAST majority of HS games in CA are 2-person simply because there are so many schools and not enough officials to cover all of the contests.
Old Thu Sep 08, 2016, 10:42am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You better not move to Connecticut.

Or Oklahoma
Old Thu Sep 08, 2016, 10:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

We've gone from being behind the curve to putting some states behind us.

I'll never work another HS game 2-person and just five years ago only one conference here used 3.
Old Thu Sep 08, 2016, 11:03am
Do not give a damn!!

It it makes anyone feel even worse, we have not had a single playoff game done with 2 person (assigned of course) since 1998 in our state, which means the vast majority if not all regular season games are 3 person. I have probably done no more than five 2 Person varsity games since 1998.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 08, 2016, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Well, you have a decision to make. From what I hear the state controls ALL officiating assignments and all hoops are 2-person.

Good time to retire, perhaps.
Reminds me of my Rhode Island days. State board controls all assignments, and all games except state tourney are 2-person.

California is still mostly 2-person from what I understand. Oregon was until just this year and the decision to switch is still made at the local level which means the transition will be very slow.

It's not all about the money, but money is a big factor. Supply of officials is another (if the supply is already sparse, going to 3-p advances a lot of officials to varsity before they may be ready, thus negating the value of 3-p). And then of course there's the inertia of, "if it aint broke, why fix it?" Of course it IS broken (a little time with good 3-person crews shows everyone that it creates a far smoother basketball game), but coaches, ADs and administrators don't see it that way because they resist change.

In short, changing to 3-p requires a perceived leap of faith and a few years of growing pains to get the supply of officials up to varsity speed. Worth it in the long run, but like long-term capital investments, hard to get past the upfront "cost."

Oh, and for the OP, from a guy who moves a lot....dude, I totally feel your pain.

Edit: Thought of another obvious reason.....established officials organizations have some folks who would rather protect their $80 2-p game fees then make the sacrifice to ~$60 (give or take) that is often asked for when switching to 3-p. Silly when you consider that 3-p gives you more game opportunities and less chance of injury over the course of a season....but again, resistance to change...

Last edited by crosscountry55; Thu Sep 08, 2016 at 09:26pm. Reason: Another Thought
Old Fri Sep 09, 2016, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't want to reduce my per game fee. We aren't paid enough for what is expected and I'm damn sure not going to take a cut so that the schools can get a "better" product. That's ass backwards.

So it's ok to do more games for less money??? That's also ass backwards. The point in life is to get better, make more, and work less. Not make less, work more.

I would stop officiating if that choice was presented to me. This doesn't pay my bills or allow me to live the lifestyle I want. It's a hobby, that takes quite a bit of time and effort for at least 3 months a year.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2016, 01:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I wouldn't want to reduce my per game fee. We aren't paid enough for what is expected and I'm damn sure not going to take a cut so that the schools can get a "better" product. That's ass backwards.

So it's ok to do more games for less money??? That's also ass backwards. The point in life is to get better, make more, and work less. Not make less, work more.

I would stop officiating if that choice was presented to me. This doesn't pay my bills or allow me to live the lifestyle I want. It's a hobby, that takes quite a bit of time and effort for at least 3 months a year.
7 years ago a HS conference we worked was payning $75/official for 3-man BV and 2-man GV. We elected a new commissioner and the following season the body of the association agreed to take a $12.50/game cut for BV & GV so that we could get a 3rd official on the court for GV. So we went from $75/game to $62.50/game, but we thought the pay cut was worth getting five extra varsity slots every Tuesday and Friday.

Personally, I would rather work 3-man at a lower rate than 2-man at a higher rate.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Sep 09, 2016 at 03:07pm.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2016, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
7 years ago a HS conference we worked was payning $75/official for 3-man BV and 2-man GV. We elected a new commissioner and the following season the body of the association agreed to take a $12.50/game cut for BV & GV so that we could get a 3rd official on the court for GV. So we went from $75/game to $62.50/game, but we thought the pay cut was worth getting five extra varsity slots every Tuesday and Friday.

Personally, I would rather 3-man at a lower rate than 2-man at a higher rate.
Why would you want to work more for less money? Im just curious.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2016, 01:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Why would you prefer working 2-man for an extra $12.50?
Old Fri Sep 09, 2016, 03:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
More members working, a happier constituency. That's 5 officials working a varsity game twice a week instead of a JV game, which means 5 more officials working a JV game instead of a middle school game, and 5 officials who would not have been working anything at all now working a middle school game.

Personal sacrifice for the good of the whole is how I guess I would describe it. I was already working an all Boys varsity schedule, so I definitely garnered no personal financial gain. But if the goal is to get as much 3-man as possible, then some sacrifices are going to have to be made by officials as well as schools. It can't all just be on the schools to find every cent.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Sep 09, 2016 at 03:08pm.