The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 13, 2016, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

D3 Super Camp?

Hello all, anyone (besides BadNews, who's already been tons of help) have any experience with the D3 Super Camp at the University of Richmond? I'll be going there in a couple weeks. I'm going largely for instructional, developmental, and foot-in-the-door purposes--I definitely don't expect to be doing college ball any time soon.

Also got back on the court yesterday for the first time since the season ended. A local high school did a weekend "camp" (basically like a high school version of the NBA Summer League) with a bunch of varsity-level scrimmages all day. Man, did it feel good being back out there. It's like riding a bike.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2016, 04:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Daisy, Daisy, Give Me Your Answer, Do ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
It's like riding a bike.
I never work any off season basketball, especially over the past several years. I basically go from early March to late November without officiating anything (no sports other than basketball). Every year I'm surprised how easy it is to get right back into the game during my first high school scrimmage. Especially the mechanics, switching, signaling, etc., without really giving it any thought, it's automatic, as if I had never stopped. It is just like riding a bicycle.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jun 13, 2016 at 10:16pm.
Old Mon Jun 13, 2016, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

I will be there this year. Camp is a great teaching camp. And the food is pretty good too
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jun 14, 2016, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I will be there this year. Camp is a great teaching camp. And the food is pretty good too
What's the level of play for the games like? Varsity level? Or better?
Old Tue Jun 14, 2016, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

I will also be in attendance. I'll look forward to meeting you. It's a great camp between the teaching/learning, food, and networking. It's where I first met both BNR and APG live and in person among others.

The teams are high school varsity and junior varsity. The level of play is fairly high.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2016, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What's the level of play for the games like? Varsity level? Or better?
JV to Varsity level....It will vary. I'll say, if you're looking to get on staff, don't let the level of play dictate how hard you work.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Tue Jun 14, 2016, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
JV to Varsity level....It will vary. I'll say, if you're looking to get on staff, don't let the level of play dictate how hard you work.
Certainly not. Just want to know what to be prepared for
Old Thu Jun 23, 2016, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

This camp starts tonight and sadly I can't be there this year because I moved to Wisconsin. But it's a fantastic camp with outstanding teaching. Take lots of good notes, ask lots of questions and be ready to laugh…a LOT! The games are a big mix (all boys) but there's a good dose of quality varsity competition. You'll have a blast! And you'll see a better and more efficient way to do 3p that will help slow the game down for you.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2016, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
This camp starts tonight and sadly I can't be there this year because I moved to Wisconsin. But it's a fantastic camp with outstanding teaching. Take lots of good notes, ask lots of questions and be ready to laugh…a LOT! The games are a big mix (all boys) but there's a good dose of quality varsity competition. You'll have a blast! And you'll see a better and more efficient way to do 3p that will help slow the game down for you.
Wish you could be there.

Come on back another time.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2016, 09:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Hello all, anyone (besides BadNews, who's already been tons of help) have any experience with the D3 Super Camp at the University of Richmond? I'll be going there in a couple weeks. I'm going largely for instructional, developmental, and foot-in-the-door purposes--I definitely don't expect to be doing college ball any time soon.

Also got back on the court yesterday for the first time since the season ended. A local high school did a weekend "camp" (basically like a high school version of the NBA Summer League) with a bunch of varsity-level scrimmages all day. Man, did it feel good being back out there. It's like riding a bike.
So what are your takeaways from your first big camp?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jul 02, 2016, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So what are your takeaways from your first big camp?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Curious as well to hear your thoughts. What was your camp number if you don't mind sharing?

Old Tue Jul 05, 2016, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Curious as well to hear your thoughts. What was your camp number if you don't mind sharing?
I was No. 48

Takeaway 1: They'll really get you for the little things you don't even think about as part of officiating (such as the way you run).

Takeaway 2: The importance of communication and crew chemistry. I think communication skills are what set the best officials apart.

Takeaway 3: Even some of the best basketball teams have some really clueless coaches when it comes to rules and stuff.

Takeaway 4: Officials really really like to drink.