The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 11, 2016, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Ok I'll give you some of that...not the first time I "called one out of my area"...but are you sure of this statement? I thought teams from same area were eliminated at the semis...in most sports at least
Yes, I'm sure, at least as far as basketball is concerned. Teams from the same region can and have played each other in the state finals. It didnt happen this year as far as I'm aware simply because of who won the semi-final matchups. But 2 years ago, two Richmond public schools played against each other in the 4A final. I'm sure its happened numerous times other than that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

The geographic center of Virgina is located about halfway (as the bus travels) between Richmond and Lynchburg.
Thanks for the map. I'm pretty familiar with VA having been born here- just like both of my parents-, having lived hear most of my life, and having officiated the state tournament for the last 5 years.

Again, Lynchburg is not centrally located TO THE MAJORITY OF SCHOOLS IN THE VHSL. Even though it may be an hour or so away from being geographically central, the majority of schools in VHSL are from Northern VA, Central VA, and Tidewater. Lynchburg is not centrally located to them.

And its not "The Old Dominion State." Its the Commonwealth of Virginia or the Old Dominion.
Old Wed May 11, 2016, 10:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Commonwealth Of Virginia ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Lynchburg is not centrally located TO THE MAJORITY OF SCHOOLS IN THE VHSL. Even though it may be an hour or so away from being geographically central, the majority of schools in VHSL are from Northern VA, Central VA, and Tidewater. Lynchburg is not centrally located to them.
I've only been to Virginia once (Richmond, and I loved it, why is everybody so polite?), which is why I pulled up the map. VaTerp seems to be talking about the centerpoint of the region's population, which in Virgina, is located in Goochland County outside of Richmond.

As a former scholastic basketball coach, I'm more concerned about travel distances for players, parents, and fans of a particular school, so I was talking about the geographic center of Virginia, halfway between Richmond and Lynchburg.

If the kids from Bristol High School make the finals, I'm sure that they would much prefer a bus trip to the geographic center of Virginia rather than to the population center.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 11, 2016 at 10:28pm.
Old Thu May 12, 2016, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As a former scholastic basketball coach, I'm more concerned about travel distances for players, parents, and fans of a particular school, so I was talking about the geographic center of Virginia, halfway between Richmond and Lynchburg.

If the kids from Bristol High School make the finals, I'm sure that they would much prefer a bus trip to the geographic center of Virginia rather than to the population center.
In doing that, to shorten the distance for the uncommon school, they've lengthened it for multiple others.

More than likely, it is about money. Liberty must have given them such a great deal that it offsets the extra costs due to the distance. Similar decisions have been made here in Oregon. Venue costs for the tournament can, in some venues, be the overwhelming element in the total cost. It varies widely with the University of Oregon being the least friendly financially....so much so that they have stopped having tournaments there in favor of much cheaper options.
Old Thu May 12, 2016, 06:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Charlottesville ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
In doing that, to shorten the distance for the uncommon school, they've lengthened it for multiple others.
Good point. In any case, Charlottesville isn't near either the population center, nor the geographic center. A site just west of Richmond would be the best bet, if a proper facility exists.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu May 12, 2016, 06:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Beads And Blankets ...

Quote:
Venue costs for the tournament can, in some venues, be the overwhelming element in the total cost. It varies widely with the University of Oregon being the least friendly financially....so much so that they have stopped having tournaments there in favor of much cheaper options.
Which probably had something to do with why Connecticut moved the finals away from Central Connecticut State University.

Old Thu May 12, 2016, 12:10pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You asked a question, I answered it. I didn't make any judgments about the situation.

Any further explanations you need to ask the person who made the original comment.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
I didn't say you made any judgement. I asked a follow up question. If you don't have any answer other than a stupid comment, then don't answer the question. That's pretty simple, isn't it?

Oops, that's another question. You don't need to answer that one either.
Old Thu May 12, 2016, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

More than likely, it is about money. Liberty must have given them such a great deal that it offsets the extra costs due to the distance. Similar decisions have been made here in Oregon. Venue costs for the tournament can, in some venues, be the overwhelming element in the total cost. It varies widely with the University of Oregon being the least friendly financially....so much so that they have stopped having tournaments there in favor of much cheaper options.
Finances have a much greater impact than location, we have learned. Still, even though VHSL says otherwise, they would not be leaving Liberty had not the university president, Jerry Jr, commented something to the affect that more students and faculty should be armed to ward off a Muslim attack
Old Thu May 12, 2016, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good point. In any case, Charlottesville isn't near either the population center, nor the geographic center. A site just west of Richmond would be the best bet, if a proper facility exists.
The mean center of population in Virginia, as of the 2010 census, is about 15 miles northwest of Richmond.
Old Thu May 12, 2016, 06:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Amen ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
The mean center of population in Virginia, as of the 2010 census, is about 15 miles northwest of Richmond.
Quote:
VaTerp seems to be talking about the centerpoint of the region's population, which in Virgina, is located in Goochland County outside of Richmond.
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Old Sat May 14, 2016, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Only universities in Virginia known for overt political leanings are Regent University (for profit, commuter type school) and Liberty. Safe to say I'm pretty familiar with how things are in Virginia.
There's also Patrick Henry College in Purcellville (Loudoun County), but I don't think they even have an athletic program
Old Wed May 18, 2016, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've only been to Virginia once (Richmond, and I loved it, why is everybody so polite?), which is why I pulled up the map. VaTerp seems to be talking about the centerpoint of the region's population, which in Virgina, is located in Goochland County outside of Richmond.
Quote:
There are many polite and many not so polite people in VA just like most places but good to hear you have fond memories of the Commonwealth.

You say that the centerpoint of the states population is in Goochland, which is northwest of Richmond. Then say that Charlottesville isnt near the population or geographic center. Trust me when I say you are completely wrong on the second statement.

Charlottesville is an hour north west of Richmond and about about 30 minutes from Goochland. In a state that is 3/5 hours long and 7 hours wide Charlottesville is VERY close to Richmond and VERY VERY close to Goochland. And while you may be correct about Goochland being the exact geographic center, I would think the excellent athletic facilities at the flagship university in the state about a half hour away qualifies as being centrally located. And with Richmond, the state capital, a half hour in the other direction I would say that my original point about Richmond and Charlottesville being centrally located for VHSL events is a fact. I would think that may even have something to do with why the VHSL is located there.

In the end, this is a friendly argument about nothing. As Camron suggested, finances and the best deal for VHSL is what will determine where championsips are played.

I'm biased being from Richmond and personally thinking both the basketball championships at VCU and football championships at UVA have been very good fan experiences. And for Northern VA schools and where I live now going there is much more convenient than going to Tidewater. But there are good facilities there and its not bad to move things around the state from time to time.

Last edited by VaTerp; Wed May 18, 2016 at 03:13pm.
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Save for a couple small towns in the Valley, Charlottesville is the only thing on I-64 in VA until you get to Richmond. Then it resumes being boring again until you get to Busch Gardens. It's also basically the only thing on US-29 between Lynchburg and DC.

VaTerp is spot on.
Old Fri May 20, 2016, 04:12pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
There's also Patrick Henry College in Purcellville (Loudoun County), but I don't think they even have an athletic program
They used to field soccer and basketball teams at one point about five or so years ago (with the mascot of "Sentinels"). I'm not sure if that's still the case.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball