The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 09, 2016, 11:23am
Administrator

The weather.

I know this is the Basketball Forum, but....

The temperature outside is 29F and there is 6 inches of snow on the ground.

The H.S. baseball and softball seasons started on Mar. 23rd in Michigan and Mar. 26th in Ohio.

Mark, Jr. has had 7 of his 11 assignments either rained or snowed out including 4 or his first 5 college softball assignments for the year, and I have had 6 of my 11 assignments either rained our snowed out. We have had 6 assignments together and 4 of them have been canceled because of the weather.

It is April 09th and it is the 3rd day of The Masters! This is nuts!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Apr 09, 2016, 01:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is why I gave up baseball. Weather is better in the football season than this crap. I cannot think of a single time that it snowed where snow was on the ground anytime during my football season. I can think of many times during this time of year there was snow and very cold. I will let you and others have that kind of fun.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 09, 2016, 02:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Baby It's Cold Outside (Dean Martin, 1959) ...

It's supposed to be 27 degrees F tonight in Connecticut. We got a few inches of snow earlier in the week, followed by a few inches of rain. High school sports schedules are getting backed up.

I purchased two pullets (young hens) Buffy Davis, and Shirley Partridge, for my backyard flock last weekend. It's been too cold, and too wet, to put these young girls outside with my other adult birds, Betty Rubble, and Roxie, so I'm keeping them in my basement. My cat is afraid of the chickens. This can't go on much longer. Chickens don't belong inside the house, unless they're on my dinner plate.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Apr 09, 2016 at 02:47pm.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2016, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Definitely a wierd weather pattern going on...it was in the 80's here both Thurs. & Fri., but only 60's in the LA area...
Old Sat Apr 09, 2016, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Finally supposed to be a nice week coming up here in the Chicagoland area. Mid 60's by the weekend with no rain/snow in the forecast past tomorrow.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 07:50pm
Administrator

As of today, Mark, Jr., has had 12 of his original 17 assignments canceled because of rain and/or snow, or unplayable fields as the result of rain and/or snow. He was able to replace two (I gave up a VAR baseball assignment so the starving college student could take my place with the approval of our assigner) of the original assignments with other games, for a total loss of $1,135 in game fees.

As of today, I have had 8 of my original 11 assignments canceled because of rain, snow, or unplayable fields as a result of rain and/or snow, or unplayable fields as the result of rain and/or snow. I was able to pick up one game when I was supposed to be watching him umpire a women's college softball DH, for a total loss of $545 in game fees.

And naturally there is an interesting story involving Mark, Jr.'s college DH. His DH was at Adrain (Mich.) College and had a 03:30pm start. We left Toledo at 01:15pm after he got out of his 12:00pm Physics class, we went through a Burger King to get Junior lunch, and we arrived at Adrian Coll. at 02:15pm. I dropped him off at the softball complex and headed to a Wendy's to have lunch (it also meant that I could use the head before, during, and after lunch) before going back to watch Mark umpire.

Keep in mind that I had blocked all of my assigners on Arbiter for the day, so I was surprised when our Michigan baseball assigner called me at 03:12pm as I was walking out of Wendy's. He wanted to know if I could umpire a VAR baseball game at Adrian (Mich.) H.S. which is only about two miles from where I was, LOL.

I told him where I was and that I would umpire the game. I also told him that I only had OhioHSAA branded uniforms in my van. He told me he didn't care. He was extremely mad at the umpire I would be replacing; he had been running a fever all day and waited until 03:10pm to call him and tell him that he could not umpire. I went back to the softball complex and told Mark where I was headed. I umpired my game and got back to Mark's game in time to watch him umpire the Plate for the last 3-1/2 innings of the 05:30pm. The best part, his game fee was more than three times my game fee and still the "old man" bought dinner, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 09:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

5 of 7 in so far. Lost last Tuesday and Friday. Wish I would've lost Saturday - the wind chill was at stupid levels.