The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Syracuse v Virginia RA play - Higgins

Does any one have a clip of this play. Higgins is one of the best, but it looked like the defender in the play I am referring to was at least a foot in front of the ARC. Believe 1st half. He pointed to the arc and I believe the commentators mentioned it as well.
Question - if defender establishes initial legal guarding position in front of the arc and steps back with one or both feet to brace for the contact (legal movement) does it matter where his feet end up? Not saying that is what happened on this play, but thinking that situation might be confusing.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

I did not see your play and Jeff or others will need more specific info of when it occurred to pull it up. A secondary defender cannot attempt to take a charge with a foot in or over the arc. That is viewed as when initial contact occurs. If he is hit and knocked into the arc that's different.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

he missed that bad. both feet were at least a foot in front of the RA upon contact. I don't know what he thought he saw, but it didn't happen. The trail had a charge, so I don't know how they dealt with that either. And the defender was there and planted for several steps.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 04:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

We're going to need video to speculate any further, but in order to get video, the Video Department is going to need more to work with.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Higgins missed that one badly. He would have been better not pointing to the RA because the defender was probably two feet outside. I replayed it to confirm.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Higgins missed that one badly. He would have been better not pointing to the RA because the defender was probably two feet outside. I replayed it to confirm.
How about posting...can u do that? Or at least give the time of play...thx
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 06:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

I cannot guess out of thin air which you are discussing. Need at least the minute in which the play happened to see the play. I can get this rather easily, but I did not see the entire game all the way through.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
How about posting...can u do that? Or at least give the time of play...thx
I can't. All is I remember is 1st half. Probably half way through. Sorry.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Block ra point

Occurs at approximately the 10:46 mark.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 10:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

I will just leave that here. (Video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktr View Post
Occurs at approximately the 10:46 mark.
Gotcha, thanks.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Player control.

Yes, even John Higgins misses some calls. Doesn't mean we are any better than him by sitting here talking about how "badly" he missed it.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Primary defender

There are many things to discuss on this play.

(1) at the point of contact Higgins is behind #51 unable to get a proper view. Based on his point to the RA -had to be a guess based on where the defender ended up.
(2) the c has a whistle and foul while starting to walk the other way before we lose him in camera view. Did he ever signal? Very close to a blarge.
(3) this should not be discussed as an ra play as there is only the primary defender involved.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 11:23pm
beware big brother

Quote:
There are many things to discuss on this play.

(1) at the point of contact Higgins is behind #51 unable to get a proper view. Based on his point to the RA -had to be a guess based on where the defender ended up.
(2) the c has a whistle and foul while starting to walk the other way before we lose him in camera view. Did he ever signal? Very close to a blarge.
(3) this should not be discussed as an ra play as there is only the primary defender involved.
2 since C had a whistle, he had an opportunity to pick up location of the defender and can provide that information to Higgins. The call can easily be changed, because by pointing to the RA, Higgins is indicating he would have had a pc foul, but he thought the defender was in the RA.

3 this is an RA play because it is an outnumbered, 2 on 1 break. Under those conditions, all defenders are considered secondary defenders.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2016, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not correct. This is a 3-on-2 fastbreak situation which means all defenders are secondary.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Not correct. This is a 3-on-2 fastbreak situation which means all defenders are secondary.
Yes agreed fast break- however I believe they are all "initially" secondary defenders. Once he established outside the ra he became legal. So in my view no longer an ra play. So on video I believe it no longer becomes ra----but obviously Higgins pointed down so he felt it must have been established inside thus making it an ra play.

Too bad the c didn't offer additional info.
Closed Thread