The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 20, 2016, 10:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
That answer depends on whether or not you shot bonus free throws in the first half.

There are usually not any rules citations for such an off-the-wall situation. My mindset isn't what should I do if this happens again, my mindset is is how do I ensure this never happens again. Quite sure this will never happen again in any game you do no matter what level it is and how bad the scorekeepers are.
I've had it happen. Not much you can do.
Old Sun Mar 20, 2016, 11:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What Do You Mean "Are We In The Bonus?" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I've had it happen.
Low level Catholic middle school game. Parent coerced into keeping score as a last minute replacement. We didn't discover until the middle of the fourth period (when we figured that we should be in the bonus for at least one team) that she was only keeping track of total team fouls, not team fouls by half, and not individual player fouls. We pieced together definite known team fouls for each team that half, told her to start keeping track of individual player fouls, and moved on.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 09:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I've had it happen. Not much you can do.
You had it happen more than once to this extent? After it happened the first time did you adjust how you would handle situations in the future?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Mar 21, 2016 at 09:29am.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
So I go back to my original question of "What do you do?" for which I have not yet received any professional opinions or rule/case citations.
A couple of thoughts:
  • Often there is another book (or 2) in use. It might be a parent in the stands or an assistant coach. If so, find it and see what it says. Your have the authority (Rule 2-11-11) to use other information you deem reliable if there is a problem with the official book. I had that this weekend at a kids tournament: scoreboard and official book (kept by the same high school kid working for the venue) showed 7th foul. Each team had an adult keeping a book and they both showed 6 fouls. I decided they were correct.
  • Get the coaches together and see if they can agree. If they do, then all set. If not, you tried one more thing to fix the error.
  • On an ongoing basis, check with the scorer about team fouls. I don't like to be told "1 more to the bonus." I ask how many fouls on each time. Same with timeouts. Tell me how many they have used -- and I will do the math to figure out how many are left.
Piggybacking on what others have said about court awareness. At a college camp, a clinician told us that it did not matter that there was no scoreboard, no visible clock and only a kid at the table. It was our job to know the exact time and score at the end of the game -- and be prepared to adjudicate last second shots, etc. No excuses. It's our job.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 04:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Keep It Simple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
Same with timeouts. Tell me how many they have used -- and I will do the math to figure out how many are left.
I don't need all this information. I only need to know when they've used their final timeout, and when they use any additional timeouts.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 05:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You had it happen more than once to this extent? After it happened the first time did you adjust how you would handle situations in the future?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Sorry, no, it's happened to me once. Now I *try* to remember to check the book at half time to see how many fouls there were in the first half. If it's a scorer I don't recognize, I'll remind them to start counting the 2nd half fouls.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 05:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I don't need all this information. I only need to know when they've used their final timeout, and when they use any additional timeouts.
I make sure the scoreboard count jibes with my memory. If I think something is askew I will have the book verify.