The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

A Genuine Thank You

Hi Guys,
I coach in California and we just wrapped up our season this past weekend and I just wanted to say thanks for all that you guys do. I know it's a thankless job a lot of the time and it usually starts with me and my fellow coaches, but I want to say a genuine thanks for taking care of our kids and the game I love. All the best in the rest of your seasons and off seasons.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDevil15 View Post
Hi Guys,
I coach in California and we just wrapped up our season this past weekend and I just wanted to say thanks for all that you guys do. I know it's a thankless job a lot of the time and it usually starts with me and my fellow coaches, but I want to say a genuine thanks for taking care of our kids and the game I love. All the best in the rest of your seasons and off seasons.
Thanks, Coach! But don't forget that we don't have practice at 5:30pm every day. You do. A great clinician once reminded me that coaches have a much harder job then we do. That does not go un-noticed by me. You make the game and the kids better, too. In this we are a team united.

Sometimes coaches seem thankless, and sometimes we even have to penalize this. But I've noted that 99.9% of the time no grudges are held. It amazes me how tempers can sometimes flare up to high levels (hey, we're all Type A and passionate about what we do), but then at the supermarket the next day it's a firm handshake followed by talk about the weather, traffic, or maybe even the possibility of the Cubs winning the pennant. That's pretty cool.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, and congrats are in order for you too. From what you wrote, I can discern that your team made it to the NorCal playoffs.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Thanks, Coach! But don't forget that we don't have practice at 5:30pm every day. You do. A great clinician once reminded me that coaches have a much harder job then we do. That does not go un-noticed by me. You make the game and the kids better, too. In this we are a team united.
Plus, we have to put up with the parents for 90 minutes 2 or 3 times a season.

the coach deals with them 24x7x365x4 years (or more, depending on the feeder program specifics)
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Sometimes coaches seem thankless, and sometimes we even have to penalize this. But I've noted that 99.9% of the time no grudges are held. It amazes me how tempers can sometimes flare up to high levels (hey, we're all Type A and passionate about what we do), but then at the supermarket the next day it's a firm handshake followed by talk about the weather, traffic, or maybe even the possibility of the Cubs winning the pennant. That's pretty cool.
I spent 11 years as a coach and now so far, 9 years as an official. Coaching was much more frustrating at times. Also more fulfilling at other times. Higher highs and lower lows.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 04:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Leapin' Lizards ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... parents ... coach deals with them 24x7x365x4 years ...
The one, and only, way that I would get back to coaching basketball would be if I was asked to coach a team of orphans. Seriously.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 10:53am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
..... or maybe even the possibility of the Cubs winning the pennant.
Not even coaches are that dumb.