The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Opening tip of 2nd OT

The R called a violation on Purdue jumper. Not sure it was.

Purdue v little rock
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Opening tip of 2nd OT

BNR also questioned that in another thread. I saw it live but could not replay it, but from what I saw, it was tipped twice by the Purdue jumper, then touched by another player, before the jumper ended up with the ball. So once it was touched by another non-jumper, the jump-ball was over. If it was touched , then no violation. One of the other two officials could have offered help here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
One of the other two officials could have offered help here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Could have, but I can understand why they didn't. This isn't a 100%, positively, "you gotta make that right" kind of situation. If you did, now you're making the R look like cr@p, and you have to have a re-jump off the inadvertent whistle, and maybe the table will reset the clock to 5:00 even though they're not supposed to, and then you have to go explain that to them, yada yada yada. Your good intentions could make things very complicated for a relatively minor rules kick.

Or you could just let the R take the ball OOB and move on. I'm not saying it's necessarily the right thing to do, but it's what I would do.

Go ahead, Nevada. Do your worst!
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Could have, but I can understand why they didn't. This isn't a 100%, positively, "you gotta make that right" kind of situation. If you did, now you're making the R look like cr@p, and you have to have a re-jump off the inadvertent whistle, and maybe the table will reset the clock to 5:00 even though they're not supposed to, and then you have to go explain that to them, yada yada yada. Your good intentions could make things very complicated for a relatively minor rules kick.

Or you could just let the R take the ball OOB and move on. I'm not saying it's necessarily the right thing to do, but it's what I would do.

Why would there have to be a re-jump? The IW would be after the jumper legally caught the ball. Purdue had team control. POI is Purdue ball. Yes?
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Why would there have to be a re-jump? The IW would be after the jumper legally caught the ball. Purdue had team control. POI is Purdue ball. Yes?
My recollection is that the third touch didn't coincide with control (i.e. whistle before anyone had control). However, if it happened as you say, you'd be correct.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My recollection is that the third touch didn't coincide with control (i.e. whistle before anyone had control). However, if it happened as you say, you'd be correct.
I didn't see the play. Just going by Dr. Pete saying the jumper ended up with the ball after the ball was touched by a non-jumper. I'm assuming that meant he had control. What say you, Dr. Pete?
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Whistle came when Purdue center controlled the ball. Indication by the R seemed to be that it was for him catching it.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Amusing that you named me because I was reading through this post and thinking, "No, no, no!"

1. The whistle from the R came AFTER the jumper caught the ball, so team control had been established. Therefore, if the officials deem the R to have had an inadvertant whistle, play is simply continued with possession to Purdue as that is the POI. None of your other thoughts on the clock or re-jumping are valid.

2. If you are working an NCAA game, you aren't worried about making the R look like cr@p for kicking a rule. You are worried about not working again next weekend. Coming in and providing a correct ruling in 2OT is exactly what will get an official a spot in the Sweet 16 or maybe even the Final Four.

3. Several of your previous posts on this forum have been excellent and demonstrated quality knowledge of the game. However, you have recently had a couple of howlers on rule situations (Your post on offensive BI, for example.) and a couple philosophy based ones that make me cringe. I'm surprised that you would knowingly let a partner kick a rule at a critical time in a tied game and not throw him a life-preserver. I wouldn't want that kind of partner on my crew.

How was that?
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Amusing that you named me because I was reading through this post and thinking, "No, no, no!"

1. The whistle from the R came AFTER the jumper caught the ball, so team control had been established. Therefore, if the officials deem the R to have had an inadvertant whistle, play is simply continued with possession to Purdue as that is the POI. None of your other thoughts on the clock or re-jumping are valid.

2. If you are working an NCAA game, you aren't worried about making the R look like cr@p for kicking a rule. You are worried about not working again next weekend. Coming in and providing a correct ruling in 2OT is exactly what will get an official a spot in the Sweet 16 or maybe even the Final Four.

3. Several of your previous posts on this forum have been excellent and demonstrated quality knowledge of the game. However, you have recently had a couple of howlers on rule situations (Your post on offensive BI, for example.) and a couple philosophy based ones that make me cringe. I'm surprised that you would knowingly let a partner kick a rule at a critical time in a tied game and not throw him a life-preserver. I wouldn't want that kind of partner on my crew.

How was that?

I would have expected nothing less!

Regarding point #1, you're right, I recalled it incorrectly, i.e. I didn't recall the jumper getting control (thought he just touched it). Point 3, you may be right but no one has shown me a definitive case or interp yet to support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 07:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I would have expected nothing less!

Regarding point #1, you're right, I recalled it incorrectly, i.e. I didn't recall the jumper getting control (thought he just touched it). Point 3, you may be right but no one has shown me a definitive case or interp yet to support.

When I work college games, especially with guys who work levels I'm trying to get to, they always say don't let anybody kick a rule

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Looked to me like he kicked it. The Purdue jumper tipped the initial jump then it "hit the floor" then he hit it again. The whistle followed. I think the referee misinterpreted the rule which says that you cannot touch more than twice. But all those restrictions end when it hits another player, the "Floor", the referee etc. He only hit it twice and it hit the floor. No violation IMHO.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This isn't a 100%, positively, "you gotta make that right" kind of situation.
Actually it is because the crew is allowing the wrong team to start with possession in the second overtime of an NCAA tournament game.

A partner corrected me this season at the start of a game in a similar play and I was very glad he did. I'd much rather me look dumb for a moment and get the play right as opposed to messing up the rule.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 10:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

Opening tip of 2nd OT

If I was one of the Us in this situation I absolutely would fix it. Don't allow rule misses....ever.

But I'd like to see it. Gotta be sure before you stop the game. Once you stop it, you know you're making sure that call is corrected.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Officials should leave their egos at the door. No one is perfect. Get it right. If it is clear it is an error, correct it. And if the guy that made the error has a problem with it, he has no business officiating, period, much less a 2nd OT NCAA game.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

I am considering myself corrected. So the next and obvious question is, why didn't U2, who had a great look and was on the side the R went to to take the ball out, say something to him?

This conversation will really get interesting if a member or member of this crew advances to next weekend.