View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Could have, but I can understand why they didn't. This isn't a 100%, positively, "you gotta make that right" kind of situation. If you did, now you're making the R look like cr@p, and you have to have a re-jump off the inadvertent whistle, and maybe the table will reset the clock to 5:00 even though they're not supposed to, and then you have to go explain that to them, yada yada yada. Your good intentions could make things very complicated for a relatively minor rules kick.

Or you could just let the R take the ball OOB and move on. I'm not saying it's necessarily the right thing to do, but it's what I would do.

Go ahead, Nevada. Do your worst!
Amusing that you named me because I was reading through this post and thinking, "No, no, no!"

1. The whistle from the R came AFTER the jumper caught the ball, so team control had been established. Therefore, if the officials deem the R to have had an inadvertant whistle, play is simply continued with possession to Purdue as that is the POI. None of your other thoughts on the clock or re-jumping are valid.

2. If you are working an NCAA game, you aren't worried about making the R look like cr@p for kicking a rule. You are worried about not working again next weekend. Coming in and providing a correct ruling in 2OT is exactly what will get an official a spot in the Sweet 16 or maybe even the Final Four.

3. Several of your previous posts on this forum have been excellent and demonstrated quality knowledge of the game. However, you have recently had a couple of howlers on rule situations (Your post on offensive BI, for example.) and a couple philosophy based ones that make me cringe. I'm surprised that you would knowingly let a partner kick a rule at a critical time in a tied game and not throw him a life-preserver. I wouldn't want that kind of partner on my crew.

How was that?