The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Player Hanging on Rim....

The following play occurred in a High School Regional Final Boys Game in Ohio this past weekend.

A3 drove into the lane and picked up his dribble as he was just inside the college "restricted area arc." (not relevant in NFHS, but just providing additional description as to position on the floor)
A3 used a head and ball fake causing defender B5 to leap into the air.
B5 realized that A3 had faked the shot and was below B5.
B5 grabbed the rim to avoid crunching the player below him (A3).
A3 went up for the shot.
B3 held A3 as A3 was about to shoot the ball.
B5 by this time has released the rim. The ball then got up to the basket and is not touched either on the way up or the way down and does not go into the basket.

The crew called a foul on B3 (that resulted in two FTs) and did not call anything on B5 referring to the fact that a player is permitted to grasp the ring in an attempt to avoid an injury.

One of the evaluators indicated that a B5 should have received a technical foul for grasping the rim in an attempt to avoid committing a foul.

Case plays involving hanging on the rim all seem to refer to the player dunking or shooting the ball. There does not seem to be a reference to a defensive player. One case play (10.3.4, I believe) does reference player A1 losing his balance while shooting a shot and grabbing the rim. This play is legal per the Case Book.

Technical? Shooting foul only? Both a technical foul and shooting the two shots for the foul?
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

The evaluator has no rule basis for his idiotic comment. He is wrong.

The crew was correct to not penalize B5 with a technical foul since it felt that he grasped the ring to prevent injury. That is permitted. The rules do not specify offense or defense. Either team is allowed to do this.

The crew should have considered defensive BI, if the ball struck the ring on the shot and it had not yet returned to its original position. If the ring had returned, then nothing need be called.

Sounds as if the crew nailed this play.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

No call on B5....his grasp was legal. They crew got it right.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

The crew should have considered defensive BI, if the ball struck the ring on the shot and it had not yet returned to its original position. If the ring had returned, then nothing need be called.
Suppose the ring returns to original position but entire structure (backboard and goal) are shaking such that the try gets bounced off rim?
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 12:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Suppose the ring returns to original position but entire structure (backboard and goal) are shaking such that the try gets bounced off rim?
Then nothing can be called by rule.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"original/normal" position means that the rim has stopped moving/vibrating. It's in the same position it was before the grasp. If a player grabs the rim and causes it and the "entire structure" to vibrate/move then it is BI if the ball hits the rim and bounces out.

9.11.4 is the case play where a defender grabs rim.

Last edited by BigCat; Wed Mar 16, 2016 at 12:47pm. Reason: added case play reference
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the reference.

Change it up: A1 attempts a dunk and grabs rim to prevent injury, ball bounces high off ring, A1 regains balance and drops, but rim and backboard are still shaking when ball comes down and bounces off moving rim.
No whistle?
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reference.

Change it up: A1 attempts a dunk and grabs rim to prevent injury, ball bounces high off ring, A1 regains balance and drops, but rim and backboard are still shaking when ball comes down and bounces off moving rim.

No whistle?

Good scenario, but no whistle is correct. The missed dunk is a try, and like any try that strikes the rim and bounces straight up, it's not over yet. A1 is permitted to grasp the rim in the process of attempting to dunk, and as such BI is not in play due to any action by A1 during this try (unless he were to come down and then jump back up and commit BI before his own try ended).

If the try ends and/or if a different player commits BI incident to the dunk try, then we have a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Good scenario, but no whistle is correct. The missed dunk is a try, and like any try that strikes the rim and bounces straight up, it's not over yet. A1 is permitted to grasp the rim in the process of attempting to dunk, and as such BI is not in play due to any action by A1 during this try (unless he were to come down and then jump back up and commit BI before his own try ended).

If the try ends and/or if a different player commits BI incident to the dunk try, then we have a different story.

I'm going to disagree with that. While no technical foul, A1 is still responsible for BI. See 9.11.4a for a similar situation involving a defender. Also, 10.3.3 SituationB

Last edited by billyu2; Wed Mar 16, 2016 at 09:21pm.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Got a rules citation for that because I don't agree.
My understanding is that once the ball breaks contact with the player's hands the offensive player is subject to being penalized for BI if the ball does anything other than immediately proceed through the basket.

And there are Case Book rulings to support my thoughts.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Player Hanging on Rim....

Quote:
Got a rules citation for that because I don't agree.
My understanding is that once the ball breaks contact with the player's hands the offensive player is subject to being penalized for BI if the ball does anything other than immediately proceed through the basket.

And there are Case Book rulings to support my thoughts.
Nope, my interpretation and I'm willing to be proven wrong. 9.11.4A involves a defender I believe, so I'd have to be convinced with some kind of NFHS or NCAA case play. I'm lying in bed so I'll take a closer look at this tomorrow unless someone beats me to it.

Last edited by crosscountry55; Wed Mar 16, 2016 at 09:20pm.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, my interpretation and I'm willing to be proven wrong. 9.11.4A involves a defender I believe, so I'd have to be convinced with some kind of NFHS or NCAA case play. I'm lying in bed so I'll take a closer look at this tomorrow unless someone beats me to it.

The only rule that exempts a player from BI is the one relating to dunking the ball....where the ball goes directly into the basket. It is deemed to have no impact on the play. If, however, the ball bounces up and then comes back down to the rim, it would be no different than any other rim contact during a try.

Quote:
EXCEPTION: In Arts. 1 or 2, if a player has his/her hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if such contact with the ball continues after it enters a basket cylinder or if in such action, the player touches the basket. Dunking or stuffing is legal and is not basket interference.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Mar 16, 2016 at 09:28pm.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Give this a read: NFHS Case Book 9.11.2 Situation B
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 11:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Give this a read: NFHS Case Book 9.11.2 Situation B
9.11.2 SITUATION B: A1 throws the ball into the basket from above, but from
outside the cylinder. A1’s hand loses contact with the ball before the ball enters
the cylinder. However, on the follow-through, A1’s hand enters the cylinder and
again contacts the ball. RULING: Violation. It is not a violation for a player to have
a hand within the cylinder above the basket provided it is not touching the ball.
The rules do allow a player to carry the ball into the cylinder above the ring or
place the ball into the basket itself. It is basket interference; however, when a player
touches the ball or the basket when the ball is in or on the basket, or touches
the ball while any portion of the ball is touching the cylinder directly above the
basket and the player did not carry the ball into the cylinder or basket. (4-6)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Mar 18, 2016, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The BI rule, 4-6 arts. 1 and 2, tell us it is BI if a player touches the ball while it is in the cylinder or touches the basket while the ball is on rim or in basket. The exception to these two rules says a player can have contact with the ball and "continue" that contact into the cylinder and "touch" the basket…."dunking or stuffing is legal…" The exception is to Art. 1 and 2 only.

When the missed dunk hits back iron and goes straight up the player can hang on the rim for safety. the ball is not on the rim or in the basket at that point nor is the player actually touching it while it is in the cylinder. No violation yet. However, if, when he lets go, the rim is pulled and it vibrates…and continues to vibrate when ball hits it--it is BI. That is article 4.

Finally, the exception simply makes it clear that dunking/stuffing is legal and you can make contact with the basket and be touching ball in cylinder while doing so. It isn't a license to continue that contact with the basket.

I only came back to this thread because you mentioned in the other one that you wrest convinced yet…. thx