The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Female Officials Officiating Boys Basketball

How many of you have seen female officials officiating varsity boys basketball? I ask because this season in Minnesota we had history made as the 1st female official worked the boys state tournament. And FWIW this official is one of the best officials in the state and prior to this season had worked several girls tournaments in a row and IIRC that included a couple of finals.

Last edited by paulsonj72; Thu Jan 12, 2017 at 10:32pm.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 08:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

The NCAA Women's Division 1 East region Observer officiated boys games in my High School Association when I first started officiating. In fact she officiated Division 1 men's basketball one year for one mid major.

However, her top protégé quit officiating high school basketball because she wasn't allowed to work boys basketball.

I believe in the past women have officiated in the state tournament on the boys side here in Virginia. However this year I know for a fact no women officiated boys games in the state tournament.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

I see it occasionally. Almost always during the regular season. I think I've seen it once during the playoffs.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

This is a sticky subject. That said, I can't speak for the VHSL state tournament this year because I didn't go. Locally, there have been only 2-3 women working boys varsity games in the last couple of years, and only a few games per season at that. This is a little disappointing to me, to be honest. I think more have the desire and ability; our board has a healthy number of female officials (I don't know the percentage but overall I think it's about 10%).

That said, I also have to think of this from the mindset of the assignor. Some obstacles will always be there....athleticism, poise, conviction to handle the ever-present sexism of some coaches, etc. Some women (many of them good officials) leave before they advance to varsity because other life priorities take precedence. And frankly some women move into the college women's ranks, and a college paycheck is better than a HS paycheck any day. Once you're doing a nice D3 or D2 women's schedule....and rightfully feeling validated by that....the desire to be validated by doing HS boys basketball may not be as strong anymore.

I don't think we have too many female officials in this forum (perhaps underscoring the issue), but if we do I'd love to hear if my thoughts are accurate or way off base.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Oregon has had a female official work a boys state final at the 5A level (6A is the top).
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 10:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
This is a sticky subject. That said, I can't speak for the VHSL state tournament this year because I didn't go. Locally, there have been only 2-3 women working boys varsity games in the last couple of years, and only a few games per season at that. This is a little disappointing to me, to be honest. I think more have the desire and ability; our board has a healthy number of female officials (I don't know the percentage but overall I think it's about 10%).

That said, I also have to think of this from the mindset of the assignor. Some obstacles will always be there....athleticism, poise, conviction to handle the ever-present sexism of some coaches, etc. Some women (many of them good officials) leave before they advance to varsity because other life priorities take precedence. And frankly some women move into the college women's ranks, and a college paycheck is better than a HS paycheck any day. Once you're doing a nice D3 or D2 women's schedule....and rightfully feeling validated by that....the desire to be validated by doing HS boys basketball may not be as strong anymore.

I don't think we have too many female officials in this forum (perhaps underscoring the issue), but if we do I'd love to hear if my thoughts are accurate or way off base.
My association up in Central VA sent 17 or 18 officials to the Final Four, and 7 crews to the quarter-finals, but not a single one of them was a woman.

Your association easily sent the most female officials to the quarter-final super sites.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Mar 15, 2016 at 10:27pm.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 12:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

I assign women to work boys games. If coaches have a complaint they have to be really careful how they present it to me, that's for certain.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I assign women to work boys games. If coaches have a complaint they have to be really careful how they present it to me, that's for certain.
What would you do if a coach or school told you that they didn't want any female officials for their boys contests?

What would you do if a coach or school told you that they didn't want any male officials for their girls contests?
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 12:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

I wouldn't honor either request.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

I inquired because someone previously posted on this forum that this situation occurred in his area and the request was honored.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 12:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

I am more than just a basketball assigner for my schools. I receive emails about officials from coaches, but I don't maintain black lists.

I doubt any of my schools would make such a request. My ADs are good people and just wouldn't.

I would t have enough females to put all girls on any games. Most people here work in crews.

I did tell a female that I would schedule her as part of an all female crew for a boys game if the schedules work out.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 09:48am
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
What would you do if a coach or school told you that they didn't want any female officials for their boys contests?

What would you do if a coach or school told you that they didn't want any male officials for their girls contests?
I would tell them I didn't want any male coaches for girls contests and no female coaches for male contests.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 09:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Locally, it's a regular occurrence, even in the playoffs.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 10:30am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Some obstacles will always be there....athleticism, poise, conviction to handle the ever-present sexism of some coaches, etc.
Something about this statement really rubs me the wrong way. Concerns related to athleticism, poise, and handling coaches are something that can be a true for ANY official, regardless of the officials gender or the gender of the players.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

It happens here, but not very often at all. Part of it is because it is clear that many will not give females a chance, they just never put in the effort. But it has happen a few rare times, but never in the playoffs that I can tell yet. And one reason it does not happen in the playoffs, is because they do not get assigned during the regular season. Again the path for a female official to the state finals is a lot quicker and easier on the girls side. So I do not see a lot of women even wasting their time trying to get those games.

Peace