The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Girls ball--gotta be on your toes (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/10109-girls-ball-gotta-your-toes.html)

rainmaker Sun Sep 21, 2003 05:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
... listening to the refs laughing about how few girls' games they had done that season, and how much they felt like fish out of water.
Jewel,
That sounds like they were poorly attempting an explanation of why they were in the stands and not on the floor, nothing more.
mick

These were the guys who were in the stands because they had just finished their tournament games for that day. In fairness, one of the guys who worked the final was not at all like that, and has a very good attitude about the whole thing. The other one....

Back In The Saddle Sun Sep 21, 2003 09:08pm

Wow, guess I touched a nerve

I agree with much that has been said. An official should give every game his or her best effort, boys or girls. What was so ironic with this game is that we had all of the stereotypical things we've discussed: jewelry issues, held balls, and a blowout.

Chin Ref, as for switching gears, you just gotta go out expecting every game to be difficult. If it turns out to be easy, then you can adjust. Then again, every game requires some adjusting. But going from an easy game to a hard game seems to take the most.

In this case, the adjustment was particularly acute because the winning team's coach (who is the league assigner of officials) asked us to "swallow the whistle" for the second half, which we did. We only called two fouls on that team, both frustration fouls that had to be called. So, in addition to adjust to a different level of play, we also had to adjust our mindsets back to calling the fouls and violations instead of letting them go.

I stand by my original assertion: with girls ball, you gotta keep on your toes. You're more likely to have unusual situations arise in girls ball, like the held ball right off the jump.

JRutledge Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:51pm

Qualified, not lack of interest.

Quote:

Originally posted by WindyCityRef

Hey, if you're going to cash those checks you get for doing Girls games then please do everyone a favor and give it your all.

Could not agree more, that is why I do not do them. ;)

Quote:

Originally posted by WindyCityRef

The one BIG problem I see here in the Chicago Area is the lack of interest and hussle from refs who do Girls games. It simply makes me sick to hear them complain about how boring the games are compared to Boys games.

The reason that is, because many officials do not like them. That is why many officials I know refuse to do them. That is also why Boy's assignors will not give you a boy's schedule if you are doing an abuntant of girl's games. If it bothers you that folks complain about them, then do not listen. Because just like anything in life, folks have the right to a choice.

Personally I think the bigger problem around here is the fact that they will let anyone do these games. I see the absolute worst, out of shape, older officials doing girl's games. Guys that could not handle a Freshman boy's game are officiating Sectionals in Girl's basketball. One of the reasons a future State Champion is allowed to advance to Bloomington on a call from the Lead position waiving off a basket to send the game into overtime. It is not the lack of interest that is the problem in Girl's Basketball.

Peace

Mark Padgett Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:53am

Hey Rut.....

What happened to Michigan this week against Oregon?

dblref Mon Sep 22, 2003 01:33pm

Re: Hey Rut.....

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Can you say "Quack Attack"? That was one heck of a game.

JRutledge Mon Sep 22, 2003 04:37pm

Re: Hey Rut.....

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I do not care what happen with Oregon, I only care about what happen with Notre Dame. Oregon will not win their conference. We could go 2-11, as long as that one win is against Ohio State and Notre Dame. And we are also higher ranked than Oregon. So who cares. ;)

Peace

nine01c Mon Sep 22, 2003 05:34pm

Re: Qualified, not lack of interest.

Personally I think the bigger problem around here is the fact that they will let anyone do these games. I see the absolute worst, out of shape, older officials doing girl's games. Guys that could not handle a Freshman boy's game are officiating Sectionals in Girl's basketball.
[/QUOTE]

The reason for this, in most cases (not all), is that the assignors are only concerned with putting bodies into games to fill slots (I mean bodies wearing black and white stripes). From the Superintendent to the Principal to the A.D. to the Janitor, no one REALLY cares about girls' sports. Although there have been many girls' programs offered for the past twenty years or so, they are still viewed as "activities" to give the girls something to do (by law). Therefore, referees officiating girls will not really be taken seriously, even the ones that ARE excellent.

This viewpoint is denied, as people want to appear politically correct, but a change of attitude can't be forced or legislated. This overall attitude and image that go with the girls games is a big part of why refs refuse them. Some feel they must ref the boys side to get good games and work up to their fullest potential. On the other hand, there are refs who choose to do girls only, perhaps because there is less pressure and stress involved. I do think there is an underlying, although subtle, negative attitude towards girls (only) refs. The text above is my OPINION only, and I am specifically referring to the Northeast. Other parts of the country may be very different.

JRutledge Mon Sep 22, 2003 05:53pm

I agree.

Quote:

Originally posted by nine01c

The reason for this, in most cases (not all), is that the assignors are only concerned with putting bodies into games to fill slots (I mean bodies wearing black and white stripes). From the Superintendent to the Principal to the A.D. to the Janitor, no one REALLY cares about girls' sports. Although there have been many girls' programs offered for the past twenty years or so, they are still viewed as "activities" to give the girls something to do (by law). Therefore, referees officiating girls will not really be taken seriously, even the ones that ARE excellent.

This viewpoint is denied, as people want to appear politically correct, but a change of attitude can't be forced or legislated. This overall attitude and image that go with the girls games is a big part of why refs refuse them. Some feel they must ref the boys side to get good games and work up to their fullest potential. On the other hand, there are refs who choose to do girls only, perhaps because there is less pressure and stress involved. I do think there is an underlying, although subtle, negative attitude towards girls (only) refs. The text above is my OPINION only, and I am specifically referring to the Northeast. Other parts of the country may be very different.

I completely agree with that take on this issue. But I think that if women as a whole support their own sports on the scale of Men's and Boy's sports, the girls might have a bigger interest. I do not think we should apologize for not watching or wanting to participate. One of the reasons that the WUSA folded this past week and the WNBA barely got a blur on the TV. It is clear what basketball officials feel about it here, no one talked about it most of the season. We talked about the NBA Western Conference Finals Game 6 for almost a year after that game took place. Many of the guys that officiate never played when they were in HS, let alone college. Where are all the women that played translate into officiating? Or better yet, coaching? And we are just starting to see the coaches numbers go up. If I am not mistaken, not a single women has coached an WNBA Championship team.

Peace

rainmaker Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:29pm

Re: Re: Qualified, not lack of interest.

Quote:

Originally posted by nine01c
I'd guess that it's not so much the part of the country, as the school administration. We have a great girls bball team here in our area, which gets LOTS of community support, and budget and the best refs (which they need and deserve) because they are strongly supported by their school district, and have been for years. Next high school district over, they're lucky if the five starters have five matching uniforms.

RookieDude Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:48am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:

Originally posted by Chin Ref
Pls advice how to switch gear back to tougher games after doing a few easy games.
Please advise why you think boys Varsity games are tougher than girls games.

RD

To begin with they never go above the rim.

...rarely do the Freshman boys "go above the rim" either...does that make their games "tougher" than two quality Varsity Boys teams going at each other?

I say yes! They can be.

My point is this:
It's "tougher" to make a girls game look good...
It's "tougher" to see all the ratty play...
It's "tougher" to have to explain all the situations that lower skilled players seem to get into...
It's "tougher" to have to officiate with a sometimes out of shape, lower level official (i.e. Boys Frosh games)...
It's "tougher" to "get up for these games"...

I have done State Semi-final Basketball...and I have done Freshman boys basketball...Trust me! IMO the Freshman boys basketball was "tougher", for the above reasons. (Well, OK, maybe the State games are tougher physically and mentally but maybe you get my point on the different "toughness" of each game.)Hmmmm, did I just contradict myself? :)

In conclusion, I agree with JRut...if you don't like doing Girls Basketball...Don't do them! That dosen't necessarily make you a bad person...I know, because I don't do them either! ;)

RD

Damian Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:21am

Girls aren't the only ones with earrings anymoew

This summer I was involved with an adult league of former college/pro players. We had to remind them each night to lose the diamond earrings and gold chains. Women are used to this. Guys aren't.

mick Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:14pm

Re: Girls aren't the only ones with earrings anymoew

Quote:

Originally posted by Damian
This summer I was involved with an adult league of former college/pro players. We had to remind them each night to lose the diamond earrings and gold chains. Women are used to this. Guys aren't.

Damian,
Why do you not allow that for Adults? ...League rule?
We permit it in our area.
mick

zebraman Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:39pm

Geez, this old debate again?

Yes, there are some differences between girls HS ball and boys HS ball. I don't think officiating one is any harder than the other... they both have components that are easier/harder than the other.

I officiate both. Some guys only officiate boys basketball. Some of them don't have time to do both...others prefer the speed of the boy's game - in my opinion, those are valid reasons.

Other guys think they are "above" girls basketball. To me, that's silly but no big deal. If that's the way they feel, the girls game is better off without them.

My most enjoyable games last year had the following components: Packed gym. Close game. Good partner. Didn't matter if it was boys or girls.

Z

ChuckElias Tue Sep 23, 2003 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
My most enjoyable games last year had the following components: Packed gym. Close game. Good partner. Didn't matter if it was boys or girls.
These things are what we all hope for. Unfortunately, in many areas -- including my own, you're much more likely to get all three of these in a boys game.

mick Tue Sep 23, 2003 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
These things are what we all hope for. Unfortunately, in many areas -- including my own, you're much more likely to get all three of these in a boys game.

Unfortunately, in many areas -- including my own, you're much more likely to get all three of these in a men's game.
;)