The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
This is the way I learned it as well. C takes it all the way to the basket, L has a patient whistle and gets it if he needs to get it. 2 charges by the way.
We teach that the C takes it all the way to the basket regarding primary defenders and the L takes anything involving secondary defenders.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 05:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
We teach that the C takes it all the way to the basket regarding primary defenders and the L takes anything involving secondary defenders.
Which is what we do, as well, as long as the secondary defender started in the L's primary.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 05:46pm
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Understood, I didn't mean to imply anyone else's way was incorrect. I was just agreeing with JRut's take on this play.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

These mechanics are always evolving. What has been described as the current Indiana HS mechanic seems to be behind the curve when one considers what is being taught at the college and NBA levels.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
My opinion, albeit minor, believes that the Lead watched the play start and develop and did not see the finish, specifically, the secondary defender slide over and take the charge. Because of that, the Lead does not have the best opinion on this play. Also, after the shot, it appears the Lead follows the ball to the rim and then has a whistle. If I am wrong, and the Lead is officiating white 25, then the Lead has the best look on the play and best opinion.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2016, 11:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
These mechanics are always evolving. What has been described as the current Indiana HS mechanic seems to be behind the curve when one considers what is being taught at the college and NBA levels.
Keep in mind I am not saying that we only want the C to call this play. In a perfect world we might not ever have a double whistle if both could get into the their partner's head. I am just saying that the C has the perfect right to make this call, but this has to be pre-gamed first as well. This play is usually a pre-game item every single game I work because I want to be in agreement as to how we call this. I have done it different ways and usually there are only one or two plays that even come close to this situation anyway. Bottom line, always talk about this so you know what should be done, but we teach some basic guidelines.

Peace