The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone Officiate Fulltime? (high school sports)

I have been talking to a few guys and they say a few people Officiate for their full time gig and maybe have a part time day job. I found it interesting. Just wondering if anyone here does this.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole4088 View Post
I have been talking to a few guys and they say a few people Officiate for their full time gig and maybe have a part time day job. I found it interesting. Just wondering if anyone here does this.
I have some co-workers that accuse me of it.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Can't imagine officiating HS sports on a FT basis even comes close to paying all the bills one would need.

Considering HS games are usually only played outside of school hours or on the weekends I can't see how someone could work enough games (even varsity games 7 nights a week) and be able to live. Maybe FT officiating include 7-8 games on the weekend may put you in the 30-40k range (before taxes).

Now if you're doing a full time D1 schedule where you are paid 2-3k a game that's different, but not at at the HS level.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

That's what I thought too. Guy said his buddy made $34k just officiating. Not ALL basketball but he does many different sports (Basketball, Football, Baseball).
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 05:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's what I thought too. Guy said his buddy made $34k just officiating. Not ALL basketball but he does many different sports (Basketball, Football, Baseball).
He would have to do multiple sports, and he'd have to be willing to work the type of ball that turns most officials away (Travel, AAU, pop warner, etc).

34k with no retirement plan, no health insurance benefits, etc. No thanks.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sure if you work 3-4 sports and can get about 30-40 hours a week you could make 35-45K. but it's all 1099 and no benefits. No thanks. Unless I lived in an area where the cost of living was 1920's.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 09:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
He would have to do multiple sports, and he'd have to be willing to work the type of ball that turns most officials away (Travel, AAU, pop warner, etc).

34k with no retirement plan, no health insurance benefits, etc. No thanks.
Well that is no different that a lot of people in this country. You will make more money than working at McDonald's for sure.

But that being said it is not the best way to go for the long term for sure.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

I know someone down here that does that. He calls several sports year round and even is official timer/scorer for LSU games during those seasons. He stays real busy----don't know his bottom line from his activities. Not sure I would want to do it that way!
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 09:57pm
High Five Master

Main problem is summer months. No school=no school ball=less money. If you work wreck league basketball, it's year round. And summer around here you can make a killing with legion baseball and ASA/UTrip fast pitch softball. Throw in club volleyball and you got a nice paying gig. But as others have stated, no insurance and you would probably pay quarterly taxes. I might even be talking myself into this.....my wife works for Feds so she has all the insurance anyway. Maybe one of these years......

Oh, and don't forget its contract work, so you don't get paid on a regular schedule and with outdoor sports, bad weather means no money too.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

I work Division 1 softball and high school (hopefully Division 3 next year) basketball as my full time and only job. When offseason comes in both sports I have to work a lot of wreck basketball or slow pitch softball. Bad week I make $450-$500. Good week $1500-$3000. I'm very careful with my money, taking about 30% of what I make and put it into a savings account for taxes. You just have to be careful with your money, and I wouldn't do it without the softball money. I won't say how much, but I am over the $34k figure that's been quoted, so I guess I'm lucky.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 10:19pm
High Five Master

I've not done any D1 softball but the college I have done doesn't pay much better than high school bc no mileage. Only one D1 school here and rest are NAIA/D2/D3/Juco which just don't pay all that much. I know it can be done, just a lot of time away from home and my lil girl and her soon to arrive lil sister deserve for daddy to be home too much for me to try to make it work with just officiating. I do envy the thought though, contract work and no real "boss". Maybe one of these years
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 10:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

There's a guy around these parts who does it fulltime. A lot traveling and motel sleeping from what I can tell.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

We have a few guys in our association that officiate football, basketball, and baseball. Baseball is where they make their most because they start working in March and can go until November plus weekend tournaments. One of the guys I know, also runs a private training/development program for basketball players as well. He's making $40-50/per person for a 60 minute group session. $75 for 1 on 1.

Not for me...I like my 401k, insurance and peace of mind that I don't have to rely on my legs to pay the bills.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

It's a good gig ....25,000 cash average 25.00 per hour and I keep it all ....sorry Uncle Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Mar 11, 2016, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbendon View Post
It's a good gig ....25,000 cash average 25.00 per hour and I keep it all ....sorry Uncle Sam
I don't think you're being serious, but if you are, shame on you. A big part of this job is integrity, and not reporting all your income flies right in the face of that. And if you're making that much money, the schools should be sending you 1099s, which the IRS receives copies of and will find out if you don't file them. So, I'm not really inclined that you make this much money and get away with tax fraud.
Closed Thread