The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Is this a do over?

Team A scores and is down by 1 point at the end of the game. Team B calls time with 3 secs on the clock. The ball is inbounded in the backcourt but the timer fails to start the clock. Team B coach is screaming that the clock did not start. The officials blow it dead. The trail tells the new lead that he reached two on his backcourt count before the whistle blew everything dead. They decide to replay the throw in with 3 seconds on the clock. Is this the correct way to handle this? Could they have used the trail's count and put one second on the clock and inbound where the POI was on the whistle?
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
Team A scores and is down by 1 point at the end of the game. Team B calls time with 3 secs on the clock. The ball is inbounded in the backcourt but the timer fails to start the clock. Team B coach is screaming that the clock did not start. The officials blow it dead. The trail tells the new lead that he reached two on his backcourt count before the whistle blew everything dead. They decide to replay the throw in with 3 seconds on the clock. Is this the correct way to handle this? Could they have used the trail's count and put one second on the clock and inbound where the POI was on the whistle?
It was handled incorrectly. The trail's count of 2 is definite knowledge of time ran off the clock. If the count was at 2, then they should reset the clock to 1 second, and resume play from the POI.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

This sounds like "definite knowledge", so I would say inbound with 1 second left.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
The other posters are correct. About five years ago the NFHS officials manual contained a statement that that are no do-overs in high school basketball. Timing errors occur and officials need to know the rules for how to deal with them.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 12:31pm
Stubborn Member

If there are less than 10 seconds in the game do you even have a backcourt count?

FYI, I don't have one in those situations, but should I in case something like this happens?
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
If there are less than 10 seconds in the game do you even have a backcourt count?

FYI, I don't have one in those situations, but should I in case something like this happens?
You don't have a "backcourt" count, but you should have a count -- as should all officials near the end of every period.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 12:57pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You don't have a "backcourt" count, but you should have a count -- as should all officials near the end of every period.
So what would you do in that situation? A count like during a free throw. Just checking to see what would need to be done to have "definite knowledge".
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
So what would you do in that situation? A count like during a free throw. Just checking to see what would need to be done to have "definite knowledge".
I would count the same as closely-guarded. I would want it to be as visible as possible on any video.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 01:33pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I would count the same as closely-guarded. I would want it to be as visible as possible on any video.
I was thinking about video proof, which is why I thought of doing a count like during a free throw where I'll simply do the "flick of the hand" motion during a count down low. However, I see no harm in a more obvious count like you're saying.

Just curious about a visible count during a time you don't need one, or shouldn't have one. Like... what would an observer think of that?
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I'm not saying it isn't the best solution, but I wouldn't want someone to think I had a closely guarded count when I did not.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure the video matters. I just count.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

In all honesty, I don't have a backcourt count under 10, which means I don't have any visible count. I do however, countdown in my head when under about 5 seconds.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

If you knew you (or your partners) had a count going, would you even blow this play dead?

Team B has now been put at a disadvantage, forced to execute another throw-in, presumably still in its backcourt.

Just count it out, and when you don't hear a horn after your 3 seconds are up, blow the whistle and the game is over. Sure, Team B coach has another second or two of exasperated yelling, but when he realizes he's won, that'll dissipate rather quickly.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
If you knew you (or your partners) had a count going, would you even blow this play dead?
Wasn't there an extended thread about this issue a week or two ago?
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Wasn't there an extended thread about this issue a week or two ago?
Did I start this one?