The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Is this a do over? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101048-do-over.html)

rbruno Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:59am

Is this a do over?

Team A scores and is down by 1 point at the end of the game. Team B calls time with 3 secs on the clock. The ball is inbounded in the backcourt but the timer fails to start the clock. Team B coach is screaming that the clock did not start. The officials blow it dead. The trail tells the new lead that he reached two on his backcourt count before the whistle blew everything dead. They decide to replay the throw in with 3 seconds on the clock. Is this the correct way to handle this? Could they have used the trail's count and put one second on the clock and inbound where the POI was on the whistle?

frezer11 Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 983635)
Team A scores and is down by 1 point at the end of the game. Team B calls time with 3 secs on the clock. The ball is inbounded in the backcourt but the timer fails to start the clock. Team B coach is screaming that the clock did not start. The officials blow it dead. The trail tells the new lead that he reached two on his backcourt count before the whistle blew everything dead. They decide to replay the throw in with 3 seconds on the clock. Is this the correct way to handle this? Could they have used the trail's count and put one second on the clock and inbound where the POI was on the whistle?

It was handled incorrectly. The trail's count of 2 is definite knowledge of time ran off the clock. If the count was at 2, then they should reset the clock to 1 second, and resume play from the POI.

ChuckS Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:08pm

This sounds like "definite knowledge", so I would say inbound with 1 second left.

Nevadaref Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 983635)

The other posters are correct. About five years ago the NFHS officials manual contained a statement that that are no do-overs in high school basketball. Timing errors occur and officials need to know the rules for how to deal with them.

BryanV21 Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:31pm

If there are less than 10 seconds in the game do you even have a backcourt count?

FYI, I don't have one in those situations, but should I in case something like this happens?

bob jenkins Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 983648)
If there are less than 10 seconds in the game do you even have a backcourt count?

FYI, I don't have one in those situations, but should I in case something like this happens?

You don't have a "backcourt" count, but you should have a count -- as should all officials near the end of every period.

BryanV21 Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 983650)
You don't have a "backcourt" count, but you should have a count -- as should all officials near the end of every period.

So what would you do in that situation? A count like during a free throw. Just checking to see what would need to be done to have "definite knowledge".

Nevadaref Wed Mar 09, 2016 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 983651)
So what would you do in that situation? A count like during a free throw. Just checking to see what would need to be done to have "definite knowledge".

I would count the same as closely-guarded. I would want it to be as visible as possible on any video.

BryanV21 Wed Mar 09, 2016 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 983652)
I would count the same as closely-guarded. I would want it to be as visible as possible on any video.

I was thinking about video proof, which is why I thought of doing a count like during a free throw where I'll simply do the "flick of the hand" motion during a count down low. However, I see no harm in a more obvious count like you're saying.

Just curious about a visible count during a time you don't need one, or shouldn't have one. Like... what would an observer think of that?

JeffM Wed Mar 09, 2016 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 983652)

I'm not saying it isn't the best solution, but I wouldn't want someone to think I had a closely guarded count when I did not.

bob jenkins Wed Mar 09, 2016 02:36pm

I'm not sure the video matters. I just count.

frezer11 Wed Mar 09, 2016 03:02pm

In all honesty, I don't have a backcourt count under 10, which means I don't have any visible count. I do however, countdown in my head when under about 5 seconds.

ODog Wed Mar 09, 2016 03:21pm

If you knew you (or your partners) had a count going, would you even blow this play dead?

Team B has now been put at a disadvantage, forced to execute another throw-in, presumably still in its backcourt.

Just count it out, and when you don't hear a horn after your 3 seconds are up, blow the whistle and the game is over. Sure, Team B coach has another second or two of exasperated yelling, but when he realizes he's won, that'll dissipate rather quickly.

so cal lurker Wed Mar 09, 2016 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 983666)
If you knew you (or your partners) had a count going, would you even blow this play dead?

Wasn't there an extended thread about this issue a week or two ago?

ODog Wed Mar 09, 2016 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 983667)
Wasn't there an extended thread about this issue a week or two ago?

Did I start this one?