Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Game tying 3 waved off.....not for what you're thinking

Game-tying shot waved off, Windsor falls to Valor

....for a 5-second violation.

Not sure I've ever seen that before.

Last edited by MechanicGuy; Sun Mar 06, 2016 at 12:40am.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

I timed it. When he entered the FC, it was 4.5 seconds at most.

That was a hell of a fast count. Especially in that situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 07:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Tough Call ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I timed it thrice with a stopwatch. From three points in the front court (two feet and ball) until the whistle, average was 5.5 seconds.

Better question, was the defender ever more than six feet away? Tough to call without two yardsticks on the court, but some may have considered stopping the count about one second before the whistle, when the ball handler moved over to the far left side of the court and then moved backward, with a slight delay in close coverage by the defender. Using the free throw line back to semicircle as a standard, I believe that the defender stayed within six feet (barely) the entire 5.5 seconds. Tough call, but a call that can be backed up with the videotape.

I like that the trail official switched hands when changing his count from a ten second count (left hand) to a five second count (right hand). We're taught that mechanic, but many don't do it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 06, 2016 at 08:04am.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That was a hell of a fast count. Especially in that situation.

I found it to be between 5.5 and 6 seconds. I'd deem it a correct call.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I found it to be between 5.5 and 6 seconds. I'd deem it a correct call.

Yeah, on second check, I think you're right. When I first timed it, I started on the T's first FC arm flick. But that's the end of the first second, not the beginning.

But still, gutsy call to make. And not one I'm certain every assignor would prefer he make in that situation. At least not with that much haste and rigidity.

It may be technically correct, but as a fellow official the call just kind of makes me sad for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on why.

Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Try to think of it from the point of view of the defender or the defending team's coach. The defender is doing exactly what he should and needs to be properly rewarded for that.

Someone on the offensive team should have set a screen to break the six-foot distance or a quick pass and return hand-off could have been included.

What bothers you is that this call would not happen at the NBA or college level because the rules are different and the player was dribbling the entire time. Get out of that mindset and focus on the HS game. That defender make a terrific play and deserved to get the whistle.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 09:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Feel Your Pain (Bill Clinton, 1992) ...

Quote:
... the call just kind of makes me sad for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on why.
If the whistle sounded, and there was never a shot released, would that make you feel better?

Quote:
That defender make a terrific play and deserved to get the whistle.
Agree.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 06, 2016 at 10:20am.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 09:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Although Mark Twain Would Differ ...

Quote:
I'd deem it a correct call.
Deem? Nice five-dollar word. Thanks for classing up the Forum Nevadaref.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 06, 2016 at 01:13pm.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Don't forget what it says near the front of the NFHS Rulesbook: "The restrictions which the rules place upon the players are intended to create a balance of play; to provide equal opportunity between the offense and the defense;..."

At the HS level the defense should have just as much of a chance of success as the offense. That is not the case at the NBA level and now even in the college game. Those levels set up rules to favor the offense in the belief that more scoring attracts fans and viewership which makes money.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, on second check, I think you're right. When I first timed it, I started on the T's first FC arm flick. But that's the end of the first second, not the beginning.

But still, gutsy call to make. And not one I'm certain every assignor would prefer he make in that situation. At least not with that much haste and rigidity.

It may be technically correct, but as a fellow official the call just kind of makes me sad for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on why.

Maybe it's the headline.

It should read -- Team A commits easily avoidable violation and fails to get off last second shot.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe because it suggests OOO? But, as others have pointed out, you can't penalize the defense for the offense's failure.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

All fair points. I guess I'd be interested to know if the T counted so aggressively at other points in the game, or if there were similar calls earlier. I'm curious to know if this isn't one of those 4th quarter calls that wasn't made in the 1st quarter?

I'm still sad.