The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 01, 2016, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Rhode Island State Final

Good job by the crew to stay focused to the buzzer!

Rhode Island high school basketball team loses state title after premature celebration - High school basketball - Boston.com

Thanks for the embed assist!

Last edited by chymechowder; Tue Mar 01, 2016 at 02:41pm.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2016, 02:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Embedding is your friend

Peace
Old Tue Mar 01, 2016, 02:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
I think putting 1.0 seconds on the clock was a bit generous.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2016, 03:00pm
TODO: creative title here

Why is the trail standing inbounds on the throw-ins? I can't see any advantage to doing so, and a whole host of reasons why it could be problematic.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2016, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Man...what a way to end a game.

State Final though? Number of fans in the stands looked like a normal Friday night here in Indiana!

We'll draw an average of about 5500 people over 4 classes at the finals held at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

Back in 1990 when we were one class, a kid named Damon Bailey drew 40K+ at the then, Hoosier Dome for state final. I think that is still a national record.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2016, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
yup
Old Tue Mar 01, 2016, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From what I can see on the clock in the background I tend to agree. However, isn't a timeout technically granted when acknowledged by the official and not when he hits the whistle? That may be why the put a full second back on the clock.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2016, 04:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
From what I can see on the clock in the background I tend to agree. However, isn't a timeout technically granted when acknowledged by the official and not when he hits the whistle? That may be why the put a full second back on the clock.
He didn't even catch the ball until there's 0.7 seconds left. The coach does immediately call time -- on first watching I had 0.5 seconds as an estimate and I'm happy with that -- still enough time for the winning play. But 1 second was too much.

They should use a monitor in that situation everywhere if it's available.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2016, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He didn't even catch the ball until there's 0.7 seconds left. The coach does immediately call time -- on first watching I had 0.5 seconds as an estimate and I'm happy with that -- still enough time for the winning play. But 1 second was too much.

Well, since the release at the end was at 0.7 (meaning 0.3 ran off) then it is a moot point
Old Tue Mar 01, 2016, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Well, since the release at the end was at 0.7 (meaning 0.3 ran off) then it is a moot point
Agree.

The player first made contact with the ball at 1.0. Control, for all practical purposes, doesn't begin until some point after that. The coach signaled timeout at 0.6. The player turned towards an official at that same time....presumably saying timeout while doing so. At most, I've got 0.6 on the clock given that it takes some amount of time to control the ball before a timeout can be granted.

But, we have video to review it, they didn't. Still, I don't think I could have come up with 1.0 if I were there.

But, as also noted, 0.6 would have still been enough for that shot to have counted.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Mar 02, 2016 at 05:17am.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2016, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
My first thought was that that earliest the timeout could have come was with 0.5 to 0.6 seconds remaining. After reading Rich's comment, I could possibly agree to 0.7 seconds, but timing the request and granting of the timeout to precisely coincide with calling at the exact moment the player gains possession is unlikely at best. That said, the ball was easily off of the shooter's hand in 0.3 to 0.2 seconds (I think the clock may have started a little slow), so the basket would have been good either way.

I am curious if anyone else noticed that the LED lights on the backboard appear to light up with 0.1 second remaining during the portion of the video where the timeout is called and the clock continues. It was a little blurry, but while trying to pause the video frame-by-frame to see how much time should have been put on the clock, I thought I saw 0.1 on the clock with the light on. Usually it seems like you'll get 0.0 without the light or horn, but never time left with a horn/light.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2016, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
I am curious if anyone else noticed that the LED lights on the backboard appear to light up with 0.1 second remaining during the portion of the video where the timeout is called and the clock continues. It was a little blurry, but while trying to pause the video frame-by-frame to see how much time should have been put on the clock, I thought I saw 0.1 on the clock with the light on. Usually it seems like you'll get 0.0 without the light or horn, but never time left with a horn/light.
Ignore this...I went back and looked at it 3 more times and realized that it was 0.0 on the clock.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2016, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post
Man...what a way to end a game.

State Final though? Number of fans in the stands looked like a normal Friday night here in Indiana!

We'll draw an average of about 5500 people over 4 classes at the finals held at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

Back in 1990 when we were one class, a kid named Damon Bailey drew 40K+ at the then, Hoosier Dome for state final. I think that is still a national record.
We're talking about Rhode Island here, whose size is barely larger than the average county.

Which begs the question, how in the world do they have 3 classes?
Old Tue Mar 01, 2016, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
We're talking about Rhode Island here, whose size is barely larger than the average county.

Freshmen, juniors, and seniors duh!!!
Old Tue Mar 01, 2016, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post

Tell me about it. I officiated there for one season. Each division has a very small number of teams. Their state brackets are smaller than some conference tourneys. I think to some extent it's to make the state seem more prominent than it really is. Heck, RIIL even sponsors a JV state tourney.

But...in their defense, without divisions you'd have Providence power schools routinely beating up on places like Exeter and some of the small fishing towns on the coast.

BTW, those state games are the only times you'll see 3p crews in RI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk