The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rhode Island State Final (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101011-rhode-island-state-final.html)

chymechowder Tue Mar 01, 2016 02:36pm

Rhode Island State Final

Good job by the crew to stay focused to the buzzer!

Rhode Island high school basketball team loses state title after premature celebration - High school basketball - Boston.com

Thanks for the embed assist! :)

JRutledge Tue Mar 01, 2016 02:40pm

Embedding is your friend

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I87iSe1kGps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Rich Tue Mar 01, 2016 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chymechowder (Post 982939)
Good job by the crew to stay focused to the buzzer!

Rhode Island high school basketball team loses state title after premature celebration - High school basketball - Boston.com

Thanks for the embed assist! :)

I think putting 1.0 seconds on the clock was a bit generous.

jTheUmp Tue Mar 01, 2016 03:00pm

Why is the trail standing inbounds on the throw-ins? I can't see any advantage to doing so, and a whole host of reasons why it could be problematic.

RefsNCoaches Tue Mar 01, 2016 03:03pm

Man...what a way to end a game.

State Final though? Number of fans in the stands looked like a normal Friday night here in Indiana!

We'll draw an average of about 5500 people over 4 classes at the finals held at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

Back in 1990 when we were one class, a kid named Damon Bailey drew 40K+ at the then, Hoosier Dome for state final. I think that is still a national record.

deecee Tue Mar 01, 2016 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 982942)

yup

BatteryPowered Tue Mar 01, 2016 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 982942)

From what I can see on the clock in the background I tend to agree. However, isn't a timeout technically granted when acknowledged by the official and not when he hits the whistle? That may be why the put a full second back on the clock.

Rich Tue Mar 01, 2016 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatteryPowered (Post 982955)
From what I can see on the clock in the background I tend to agree. However, isn't a timeout technically granted when acknowledged by the official and not when he hits the whistle? That may be why the put a full second back on the clock.

He didn't even catch the ball until there's 0.7 seconds left. The coach does immediately call time -- on first watching I had 0.5 seconds as an estimate and I'm happy with that -- still enough time for the winning play. But 1 second was too much.

They should use a monitor in that situation everywhere if it's available.

BatteryPowered Tue Mar 01, 2016 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 982956)
He didn't even catch the ball until there's 0.7 seconds left. The coach does immediately call time -- on first watching I had 0.5 seconds as an estimate and I'm happy with that -- still enough time for the winning play. But 1 second was too much.

Well, since the release at the end was at 0.7 (meaning 0.3 ran off) then it is a moot point :D

Camron Rust Tue Mar 01, 2016 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 982956)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatteryPowered (Post 982957)
Well, since the release at the end was at 0.7 (meaning 0.3 ran off) then it is a moot point :D

Agree.

The player first made contact with the ball at 1.0. Control, for all practical purposes, doesn't begin until some point after that. The coach signaled timeout at 0.6. The player turned towards an official at that same time....presumably saying timeout while doing so. At most, I've got 0.6 on the clock given that it takes some amount of time to control the ball before a timeout can be granted.

But, we have video to review it, they didn't. Still, I don't think I could have come up with 1.0 if I were there.

But, as also noted, 0.6 would have still been enough for that shot to have counted.

BoomerSooner Tue Mar 01, 2016 04:58pm

My first thought was that that earliest the timeout could have come was with 0.5 to 0.6 seconds remaining. After reading Rich's comment, I could possibly agree to 0.7 seconds, but timing the request and granting of the timeout to precisely coincide with calling at the exact moment the player gains possession is unlikely at best. That said, the ball was easily off of the shooter's hand in 0.3 to 0.2 seconds (I think the clock may have started a little slow), so the basket would have been good either way.

I am curious if anyone else noticed that the LED lights on the backboard appear to light up with 0.1 second remaining during the portion of the video where the timeout is called and the clock continues. It was a little blurry, but while trying to pause the video frame-by-frame to see how much time should have been put on the clock, I thought I saw 0.1 on the clock with the light on. Usually it seems like you'll get 0.0 without the light or horn, but never time left with a horn/light.

BoomerSooner Tue Mar 01, 2016 05:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner (Post 982960)
I am curious if anyone else noticed that the LED lights on the backboard appear to light up with 0.1 second remaining during the portion of the video where the timeout is called and the clock continues. It was a little blurry, but while trying to pause the video frame-by-frame to see how much time should have been put on the clock, I thought I saw 0.1 on the clock with the light on. Usually it seems like you'll get 0.0 without the light or horn, but never time left with a horn/light.

Ignore this...I went back and looked at it 3 more times and realized that it was 0.0 on the clock.

eyezen Tue Mar 01, 2016 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches (Post 982944)
Man...what a way to end a game.

State Final though? Number of fans in the stands looked like a normal Friday night here in Indiana!

We'll draw an average of about 5500 people over 4 classes at the finals held at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

Back in 1990 when we were one class, a kid named Damon Bailey drew 40K+ at the then, Hoosier Dome for state final. I think that is still a national record.

We're talking about Rhode Island here, whose size is barely larger than the average county.

Which begs the question, how in the world do they have 3 classes?

deecee Tue Mar 01, 2016 06:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 982965)
We're talking about Rhode Island here, whose size is barely larger than the average county.

Freshmen, juniors, and seniors duh!!!

crosscountry55 Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 982965)

Tell me about it. I officiated there for one season. Each division has a very small number of teams. Their state brackets are smaller than some conference tourneys. I think to some extent it's to make the state seem more prominent than it really is. Heck, RIIL even sponsors a JV state tourney.

But...in their defense, without divisions you'd have Providence power schools routinely beating up on places like Exeter and some of the small fishing towns on the coast.

BTW, those state games are the only times you'll see 3p crews in RI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk