The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 02:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Purdue @ Indiana Plays

Play 1: You do not see this every day at the higher levels.

Play 2:

Play 3:

Play 4:

Peace
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

#1-3, not much to discuss. Properly called.

#4, if that is going to be called, the defensive armbar that preceded it should have probably been called instead. That said, that seemed like a pretty weak call either way.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 02:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
#1-3, not much to discuss. Properly called.

#4, if that is going to be called, the defensive armbar that preceded it should have probably been called instead. That said, that seemed like a pretty weak call either way.
His so-called arm-bar did not affect anything. He was getting his arm mostly out of the way. That is not how it is expected to be called from my point of view.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 04:32am
Official Forum Member

The last time that I recall #1 occurring in an NCAAM game of significance was the 2004 Sweet 16 between Georgia Tech and Nevada.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
His so-called arm-bar did not affect anything. He was getting his arm mostly out of the way. That is not how it is expected to be called from my point of view.
I don't know how NCAAM wants it called but all I know is that's rule 10-4-1a (Keeping a hand or forearm on an opponent with the ball). If we don't get those on my side we hear about it. Repeatedly.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

I've never seen anything close to #1 at HS or NCAA-----happens all the time at middle school, they must teach it at practice. I didn't think the defensive arm hindered the dribbler before the push off.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 10:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I don't know how NCAAM wants it called but all I know is that's rule 10-4-1a (Keeping a hand or forearm on an opponent with the ball). If we don't get those on my side we hear about it. Repeatedly.
I have never been told in a play like this to have a call other than a coach, who you have to listen to with a grain of salt. The player extends his arm without touching the ball handler and as the ball handler comes towards him his arm comes close to his own body. The arm in no way even influenced any RSBQ or prevented the ball handler from any movement in any way.

When I posted this video what you are saying should be called did not even cross my mind. There have been 10 bulletins at least posted by the NCAA and never saw any play that said we should have a foul on the ball handler in a play like this that I can remember.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have never been told in a play like this to have a call other than a coach, who you have to listen to with a grain of salt. The player extends his arm without touching the ball handler and as the ball handler comes towards him his arm comes close to his own body. The arm in no way even influenced any RSBQ or prevented the ball handler from any movement in any way.

When I posted this video what you are saying should be called did not even cross my mind. There have been 10 bulletins at least posted by the NCAA and never saw any play that said we should have a foul on the ball handler in a play like this that I can remember.
That would be the difference. RSBQ doesn't matter on my side in that situation. Put it on and leave it on = whistle. We still have to judge whether the BH/D moved into the arm/hand or vice versa but on that one the first thing that came to mind for me was hand check.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 10:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
That would be the difference. RSBQ doesn't matter on my side in that situation. Put it on and leave it on = whistle. We still have to judge whether the BH/D moved into the arm/hand or vice versa but on that one the first thing that came to mind for me was hand check.
I am just telling you that this is not a play I hear any grief about because the defender was retreating his arm and not using it in any way. Never have I called a foul that close as you suggest in college or high school. If the defender kept his arm out from his body then yes I would agree it was a foul, but that is not what happened.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
I've never seen anything close to #1 at HS or NCAA-----happens all the time at middle school, they must teach it at practice. I didn't think the defensive arm hindered the dribbler before the push off.
Quote:
I am just telling you that this is not a play I hear any grief about because the defender was retreating his arm and not using it in any way. Never have I called a foul that close as you suggest in college or high school. If the defender kept his arm out from his body then yes I would agree it was a foul, but that is not what happened.

Peace
My point was that he pushoff was very weak and was preceded by a play that has been clearly defined as an automatic foul, even if it too was weak. No way I'm calling THAT pushoff and not calling the armbar before it.....but I'm probably not calling amrbar for the reasons stated and, thus, I'm not calling the pushoff. It would be completely unfair to the offensive player too call his contact a foul in the presence of the defensive armbar, even if it was a soft one.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 12:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
My point was that he pushoff was very weak and was preceded by a play that has been clearly defined as an automatic foul, even if it too was weak. No way I'm calling THAT pushoff and not calling the armbar before it.....but I'm probably not calling amrbar for the reasons stated and, thus, I'm not calling the pushoff. It would be completely unfair to the offensive player too call his contact a foul in the presence of the defensive armbar, even if it was a soft one.
I am very aware of what your point is, I just happened to disagree with your point based on previous videos and previous stances from the NCAA on these matters.

And an armbar is when the arm is to keep you at bay and this did not do that IMO or judgment. Players have arms and usually they are going to go in front of their body at some point. It is not the expectation to never touch the ball handler. Just like it would not be a foul on the ball handler if he arm is out and he touches the defender, you have to do a little more than a touch. Never has the NCAA Men's side took such an "absolute" position.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
These are automatic on the men's side, too, regardless of RSBQ. However, "put it on and leave it on" is not how I would describe this play. I don't have a foul for a handcheck here for that reason.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 12:46pm

Quote:
I agree. On our side of the NCAA, the extended arm bar by the defender should have been called. Actually we probably would have seen an email or video telling us it must be called.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

or call a travel
Old Wed Feb 24, 2016, 03:40pm
Often wrong never n doubt

I don't see the push off as weak. He cleared space. I don't view the arm bar as an automatic as mainly the offense moved into the arm and the arm was pulled back. That to me isn't keeping an arm bar on an opponent.