The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 10:03am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
2-flop. Thought so last night and still do today.
That's your fandom talking also.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 10:16am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
That's your fandom talking also.

I knew lots would think that and at least someone would say it but I really don't think there was enough contact to have a foul either way. I like to think that I would believe that if the teams were reversed as well.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Real time I like all 4 calls!

Slowed down...the only call i would change is #1 as defender gains LGP a half of a tick before A1 leaves the floor. High school that is a charge. (I don't speak on college or NBA. Ha.)
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 11:21am

#1 RA Block (NCAA) NFHS PC
#2 PC
#3 Foul
#4 Foul (in slow mo, looks like travel for feet not landing simultaneously but real time, no travel, foul)
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 11:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
Real time I like all 4 calls!

Slowed down...the only call i would change is #1 as defender gains LGP a half of a tick before A1 leaves the floor. High school that is a charge. (I don't speak on college or NBA. Ha.)
The official pointed to the floor on Play #1 to indicated he had him over the RA. That is the main reason it was likely called a block. I agree in HS this would have been likely a different call.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
The feet don't come down simultaneously.
I don't know what your expectation is for simultaneously because ALL jump stops would be travels. Calling this not simultaneous is a nit that I'm never going to pick.

What's the fascination with travel calls? Out of all the hero calls a hero travel call is the rarest of them all, and usually involves a clear cut travel (like a switch of the pivot foot while a player keeps pivoting). I used to call a lot of travels but after watching guys that were in positions that I wanted to be in NOT call as many I noticed a pattern. In talking with them and from instruction I have come to accept that picking NITS with travels is not what is expected, nor does it make one a great official.

This rule is not 100% but it does cover 98-99% of real time application for me. I make sure I get the ones that Ray Charles in the last row would call. I try my best to call the ones that give a clear advantage to the offensive player and ARE obvious, and the rest I'm ok missing. Because I bet that we get more travels called incorrect than we do when we don't put air in the whistle.

By the letter of the law I'm sure our HS or even college games have way more travels that go uncalled but I just don't focus as much on those calls as I do with everything else I have to. I stick to calling the obvious and if I have to justify my call with a "well he picked up his dribble a hair before he lifted his XYZ foot off the ground and then a lace of his pivot returned to the ground so I have a travel" I'm focusing on all the wrong things.

Simultaneous - eh close enough. I can also tell you that the more athletic the players the tougher it is to pick up their pivot foot as they are so darn quick. For the love of me I don't want to take a possession away from a team on a borderline guess or 50/50 call.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Well Stated

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I don't know what your expectation is for simultaneously because ALL jump stops would be travels. Calling this not simultaneous is a nit that I'm never going to pick.

What's the fascination with travel calls? Out of all the hero calls a hero travel call is the rarest of them all, and usually involves a clear cut travel (like a switch of the pivot foot while a player keeps pivoting). I used to call a lot of travels but after watching guys that were in positions that I wanted to be in NOT call as many I noticed a pattern. In talking with them and from instruction I have come to accept that picking NITS with travels is not what is expected, nor does it make one a great official.

This rule is not 100% but it does cover 98-99% of real time application for me. I make sure I get the ones that Ray Charles in the last row would call. I try my best to call the ones that give a clear advantage to the offensive player and ARE obvious, and the rest I'm ok missing. Because I bet that we get more travels called incorrect than we do when we don't put air in the whistle.

By the letter of the law I'm sure our HS or even college games have way more travels that go uncalled but I just don't focus as much on those calls as I do with everything else I have to. I stick to calling the obvious and if I have to justify my call with a "well he picked up his dribble a hair before he lifted his XYZ foot off the ground and then a lace of his pivot returned to the ground so I have a travel" I'm focusing on all the wrong things.

Simultaneous - eh close enough. I can also tell you that the more athletic the players the tougher it is to pick up their pivot foot as they are so darn quick. For the love of me I don't want to take a possession away from a team on a borderline guess or 50/50 call.
Deecee,

Very well stated....It is obvious that you are attending camps and people are teaching you not only how to officiate this play but how to keep yourself out of trouble in the process.

There are enough people in the avocation that will call a travel on this play....it is because of them that you will have "job security" for a long time !!!!
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 12:54pm
Esteemed Participant

Love the fact that the C hustled his butt down the court and was able to get the call on that last play!
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 02:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Jump stops are either properly or improperly performed. I officiate in the hometown of Allen Iverson, so I've seen plenty of examples of properly executed jump stops. Even the guys I used to play pick-up ball with know the difference because it is a move that a lot AI admirers have tried to perfect over the years.

I didn't need slow motion to tell Grayson's jump stop was improper, but I also acknowledged that no one is calling this one a travel, including myself.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Feb 18, 2016 at 02:50pm.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I didn't need slow motion to tell Grayson's jump stop was improper, but I also acknowledged that no one is calling this one a travel, including myself.

Agree.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Jump stops aside, can someone please explain why play #3 isn't a travel before the foul?

I realize that slow motion isn't great since officials have to make the calls in real time, but the camera angle is blocked from seeing everything clearly.

Agreeing with griblets, If you stop the video at 25 sec mark, ball is in both hands, right foot is pivot foot. He then proceeds to put down the left, lift the right and then puts it down again after the spin move.

Travel?

Since the foul happened after the travel then the contact on the shot shouldn't matter. Yes?
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlbc View Post
Jump stops aside, can someone please explain why play #3 isn't a travel before the foul?

I realize that slow motion isn't great since officials have to make the calls in real time, but the camera angle is blocked from seeing everything clearly.

Agreeing with griblets, If you stop the video at 25 sec mark, ball is in both hands, right foot is pivot foot. He then proceeds to put down the left, lift the right and then puts it down again after the spin move.

Travel?

Since the foul happened after the travel then the contact on the shot shouldn't matter. Yes?

It probably was a travel but in real time I wouldn't catch that. The decision for when the player has gathered to which foot is the pivot is at times impossible and we miss the real first pivot foot. It's just a fact, especially with D1 athletes as they move so quick. If you need to stop the video to see the travel then it's best that you just don't call the travel.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It probably was a travel but in real time I wouldn't catch that. The decision for when the player has gathered to which foot is the pivot is at times impossible and we miss the real first pivot foot. It's just a fact, especially with D1 athletes as they move so quick. If you need to stop the video to see the travel then it's best that you just don't call the travel.
I tend to agree about needing to stop the video then don't call it. If the lower angle video wasn't obstructed and you could view it in live speed and still couldn't tell, then fine. I think you would have been able to easily see the right foot set from a lower unobstructed angle.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I tend to agree about needing to stop the video then don't call it. If the lower angle video wasn't obstructed and you could view it in live speed and still couldn't tell, then fine. I think you would have been able to easily see the right foot set from a lower unobstructed angle.
I am telling you, with pretty much 100% certainty, that in real time I am not getting this travel. No matter my angle. The gather and pivot happen so fast with the first step it is easy to miss that pivot, and quite frankly expected.

I have never been chastised for letting these types of "travel" calls go. I have been chastised for (1) making them and (2) passing on contact fouls that hinder freedom of movement.

IOW NO ONE cares about missed borderline travel calls past a freshman level game. Just make sure you call the ones that need to be called.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The main value of stopping video to see if it is or is not an infraction is to be able to learn what infractions look like in real time. Slow the video down, analyze it, determine that it was or wansn't, then watch it at full speed to correlate what infractions or non-infractions look like at full speed.