The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   High School Travel Call (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100910-high-school-travel-call-video.html)

ballgame99 Thu Feb 18, 2016 08:53am

I'm not calling that. As far as euro steps go that one is pretty clean. Of course it may look different from L, but based on this video I'm passing.

frezer11 Thu Feb 18, 2016 09:20am

I think if he doesn't do the euro step, but rather just a normal left-handed layup and picks the ball up at the same time, then we aren't even having this conversation. Rich, I see your point with the picture, but real time that's pretty tough to tell, and I can't even be certain that it was actually grabbed with both hands with the right foot still on the ground.

Rich Thu Feb 18, 2016 09:36am

I did the best I could to estimate when the ball was in the hands of the player. But without a camera angle view from the L's position, it's impossible to do anything but guess.

I'm not seeing the toe drag in real time. I was the C on Tuesday night when a coach started going crazy about something similar. But I don't guess travels nor do I nitpick them. Had it been his team and I called it he would've been unhappy I picked that nit -- and frankly if I look that close at a toe I'm missing a whole lot else.

A Pennsylvania Coach Thu Feb 18, 2016 09:48am

I'm dumbfounded that there is any debate on this. The freeze frame shows the right as the pivot. So, obvious travel. Even if you are of the opinion that you can't pick that up real time and view the left as the pivot (as I did on the first watch at full speed), the left is dragged.

Raymond Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 981428)
I'm dumbfounded that there is any debate on this. The freeze frame shows the right as the pivot. So, obvious travel. Even if you are of the opinion that you can't pick that up real time and view the left as the pivot (as I did on the first watch at full speed), the left is dragged.

That freeze frame doesn't show possession to me, just shows that ball is up in the air contacting his left hand.

And if we are doing freeze frames, then it can't be "obvious".

ballgame99 Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 981428)

Dumbfounded? Obvious travel? You said so yourself that at full speed you thought the left was the pivot. And as was just mentioned above, if I'm looking for dragged toes on a move like this I'm not seeing if there is contact on the arm, I'm not assessing the LGP of the defender, among other things.

For this to be a travel you have to have clear view of the dribble ending with the right foot down. Maybe this official had that, but from the angle we do not.

Da Official Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:09am

Real time...I have the left as the pivot. Score the basket...play on. Not reaching for "looks funny" travel calls. Have a good day.

Slowed down...I agree the left drags (which I don't see in real time) so therefore a travel. The official got it right.

Lcubed48 Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 981409)
The picture doesn't tell me anything.

If the Lead saw that he gathered with his right foot down, then it's a travel I would have called.

If his left was the pivot I have no travel. I would not have noticed that slight drag of the toe at real speed.

+1

From the video, I definitely see this play as a travel. I can't say what I would rule on a live real time play.

AABATTEE Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:53pm

This was a great call. I actually need to see more videos on this move because players are doing it so much.... On my first viewing before the slow motion I had a no travel call .

AABATTEE Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 981436)
Dumbfounded? Obvious travel? You said so yourself that at full speed you thought the left was the pivot. And as was just mentioned above, if I'm looking for dragged toes on a move like this I'm not seeing if there is contact on the arm, I'm not assessing the LGP of the defender, among other things.

For this to be a travel you have to have clear view of the dribble ending with the right foot down. Maybe this official had that, but from the angle we do not.

Good point, at our view we could not see that without the slow motion.

AABATTEE Thu Feb 18, 2016 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 981423)
I did the best I could to estimate when the ball was in the hands of the player. But without a camera angle view from the L's position, it's impossible to do anything but guess.

I'm not seeing the toe drag in real time. I was the C on Tuesday night when a coach started going crazy about something similar. But I don't guess travels nor do I nitpick them. Had it been his team and I called it he would've been unhappy I picked that nit -- and frankly if I look that close at a toe I'm missing a whole lot else.

So I used to try hard to get in position for those travel violations. I lost that battle so I only get the bugs ones or the ones I've viewed and understand the actual movement of too many steps.

Dad Thu Feb 18, 2016 01:05pm

I can understand it from fans, but officials really need to stop thinking watching a play multiples times or in ultra-mega-slow-mo is real life.

Dad Thu Feb 18, 2016 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AABATTEE (Post 981485)
So I used to try hard to get in position for those travel violations. I lost that battle so I only get the bugs ones or the ones I've viewed and understand the actual movement of too many steps.

I wouldn't call this a battle lost, but a lesson learned. Aka you're becoming a better official. Positioning is everything for us, and at the top of the priority list shouldn't be for traveling calls. If you see it, get it, but when finding the best position traveling is the last on my list of cares.

ILRef80 Thu Feb 18, 2016 04:15pm

I'm not calling this. If I have to slow it down that much to nitpick the pivot foot, I see it as a play on.

Adam Thu Feb 18, 2016 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 981396)
Well it is assumed that other levels pass on travels purposely, so why can't we make reasonable assumptions about the high school level? ;)

Peace

Yep, not wanting to disparage high school officials at all.

I have a travel for the reasons OKREF and Camron spell out above. I'm not sure I would have caught the right as the pivot in real speed, but I am pretty sure I would have got the left foot dragging.

Using video of a correct travel call isn't going to help make some sort of point about high school officials calling travels too much.