The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   High School Travel Call (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100910-high-school-travel-call-video.html)

Rich Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 981378)
I agree with the sentiment that if you need slo-mo to determine a travel then it's best to leave it alone.

I need slo-mo from this angle. As the lead, would I?

OKREF Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:01pm

If you judge the right foot is the pivot, it's a travel.
If you judge the left foot is the pivot, it's a travel. The reason for me is he drags the left foot after picking it up.

Camron Rust Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:02pm

• He begins to hold the ball with the right foot on the floor making it the pivot.
  • Then, he steps on his left foot.
  • Then, he steps again on this right foot...which makes it a travel.
  • And just in case you were unsure if he was holding the ball or not initially, he drags the toes of his left foot on the floor as he brings it through....also a travel.

just another ref Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:50pm

The guy in the video obviously didn't need slo-mo.

JRutledge Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 981384)
The guy in the video obviously didn't need slo-mo.

Or did he call what looked funny? We would have to ask him if he knew what really happened.

Peace

just another ref Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 981385)
Or did he call what looked funny? We would have to ask him if he knew what really happened.

Peace

I've seen too many to count here which may or may not have "looked funny" that were incorrectly no called, so maybe a slight correction in the other direction is not totally unthinkable.

just another ref Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:41am

Watching Duke/NC . I was curious to see how long it would take to see a missed obvious travel.

4 minutes

JRutledge Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 981389)
Watching Duke/NC . I was curious to see how long it would take to see a missed obvious travel.

4 minutes

As opposed to a high school game? Suuuurreeeee!!!

Peace

just another ref Thu Feb 18, 2016 01:05am

What does a high school game have to do with it? We constantly note travels which are missed/ignored at the college level. You say "Yeah, but they miss them in high school, too." So what? I'm sure they do, but they're not on tv. So now you post a difficult play from a high school game which was correctly called. Not sure what the point was.

Welpe Thu Feb 18, 2016 01:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 981385)

Peace

If we have no way of knowing, why even bother asking the question? Everyone is just going to guess.

JRutledge Thu Feb 18, 2016 01:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 981394)
If we have no way of knowing, why even bother asking the question? Everyone is just going to guess.

Well it is assumed that other levels pass on travels purposely, so why can't we make reasonable assumptions about the high school level? ;)

Peace

JRutledge Thu Feb 18, 2016 01:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 981392)
What does a high school game have to do with it? We constantly note travels which are missed/ignored at the college level. You say "Yeah, but they miss them in high school, too." So what? I'm sure they do, but they're not on tv. So now you post a difficult play from a high school game which was correctly called. Not sure what the point was.

I think we have more video from college games. But when I see HS videos, I see a lot of incorrectly called travels whether they be ones that did not take place or ones that were not called.

Again, this is your point you like to make. I have said for years that traveling is the hardest and most inconsistently called thing in all of basketball. I do not care what level we are talking about, we miss travels often. It is not unique to one level.

Peace

Camron Rust Thu Feb 18, 2016 02:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 981396)
Well it is assumed that other levels pass on travels purposely, so why can't we make reasonable assumptions about the high school level? ;)

Peace

With as frequent and as obvious as travels often are, the only explanations that fit are that it is purposefully ignored even when it is seen or they just don't even watch for it.

#olderthanilook Thu Feb 18, 2016 07:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 981366)
No travel.

I'm leaning the same way here knowing the better look is obviously from the L position. But, based on what I see in the video angle, the left foot is pivot when he gathers. The left foot does not touch the floor again until after the player releases for a try. No travel. But, boy, does it look goofy.

Raymond Thu Feb 18, 2016 08:30am

The picture doesn't tell me anything.

If the Lead saw that he gathered with his right foot down, then it's a travel I would have called.

If his left was the pivot I have no travel. I would not have noticed that slight drag of the toe at real speed.