The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
How long you been refereeing?
Total of nine years...with a forced medical break of five years between years seven and eight.

I started late in life as well.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Is your screen name because you have a pace maker?
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 02:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1993 View Post
I've learned that when fans and players approach me outside of the sport, it is generally a good conversation and there is no reason to fear it.

At first, I would see a coach or loud fan at the gas station or grocery store and avoid them. Now, I'm more likely to say, "Hey, Coach. Good game last week." It's always been friendly.
Away from the gym, I've never had a bad experience with a fan/coach/player who has recognized me from officiating. When at a venue I try to avoid all interaction.

There is one current coach (he doesn't coach in any conference I work) whom I give a "bro"-hug and handshake to any time I see him b/c he has always been a good person to me, even when I was working his games as a new varsity official.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is your screen name because you have a pace maker?
Yep...I'm not clever enough to come up with anything overly creative.

BTW...I know of at least two others in our association with pacemakers.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

It's really interesting when I work with an older guy because I'm only 22. So when I work with a guy in his sixties, we make pretty interesting book ends.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 04:34pm
Administrator

Quote:
It's really interesting when I work with an older guy because I'm only 22. So when I work with a guy in his sixties, we make pretty interesting book ends.
Junior is only 26 but looks like the Hunchback of Notre Dame (but he expects to get drafted in the 1st Round by the Cleveland Browns, ) from carrying me all of these years.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
What was the biggest darkest secret you learned about your game this year.
In high school:
A thorough knowledge of the rules along with all my efforts in good mechanics; are critical if I truly care about the game and the young people that play the game.
Mechanics may get me to the next level tomorrow, but the rules are all that matter for the game I'm doing today...
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 09:58pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Sure enough V1 makes a layup at the buzzer and we go to a 3rd OT, but not before Junior hit me with a TF for delay of game while I headed for the nearest rest room, .
Wait....isn't the first delay of game a warning??
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
(but he expects to get drafted in the 1st Round by the Cleveland Browns, )
He can't be much worse than most of their first round picks of late.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

2nd year official in Chicago area

I learned that getting boo'd by the fans isn't the best feeling. But I just call my game regardless.

I also learned that I get very comfortable after my first whistle. Its like a wakeup feeling in the morning after you sip your coffee. Then its game on.

I learned that I also need to hear coaches but choose better words to use and be more stern. Lots of times there loudness don't bother me but then they tend to ride me loudly for too long.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AABATTEE View Post
I learned that getting boo'd by the fans isn't the best feeling. But I just call my game regardless.

I also learned that I get very comfortable after my first whistle. Its like a wakeup feeling in the morning after you sip your coffee. Then its game on.

I learned that I also need to hear coaches but choose better words to use and be more stern. Lots of times there loudness don't bother me but then they tend to ride me loudly for too long.
You'll get over getting boo'd. Eventually fans/coaches acting like clowns is just entertainment. Once a year, maybe, fans will get to me. Even then it's more me missing a call then the fans/coach throwing a fit.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

At least for me...I have realized that when I am hearing the fans I am going through a stretch where I am not on top of my game. It may be I am disgusted with myself for kicking something in a tight game, not feeling 100%, getting hissed off because my partner is calling everything on the floor, etc. But realizing I am hearing the crowd is a little like a 2 x 4 up side the head...gets me to focus more.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Sometimes it is the best feeling, like when you know you're 100 percent right and they're still booing.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 12:26pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
sometimes it is the best feeling, like when you know you're 100 percent right and they're still booing. :d
+1,000,000
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 01:16pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Sometimes it is the best feeling, like when you know you're 100 percent right and they're still booing.
This.