The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What did you learn this year... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100906-what-did-you-learn-year.html)

BigT Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:01pm

What did you learn this year...

What was the biggest darkest secret you learned about your game this year.
Are you having success changing this bad habit.

Hope everyone had a great year and those who get post season good luck!

I learned to just call the obvious and ignore comments from coaches. Both I have changed and both have helped me enjoy the game more and get bigger assignments.

JRutledge Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:07pm

I learn a lot of the same things every year. I need to watch more tape of my games. I need to be more aware of other things going on outside of the court. I need to be an even better partner by calling things that save the crew when brought to my attention. I need to slow down even more in some situations. Nothing brand spanking new, just things that are confirmed and come up during the season.

Peace

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 981275)
What was the biggest darkest secret you learned about your game this year.
Are you having success changing this bad habit.

Hope everyone had a great year and those who get post season good luck!

I learned to just call the obvious and ignore comments from coaches. Both I have changed and both have helped me enjoy the game more and get bigger assignments.

It was not what I learned this year but what I learned last year. At my age, not only should I make a pit stop just before going onto the court before that start of the game I should also make a pit stop at half time even if I do not feel the need to make a pit stop.

Last year MTD, Jr., and I had a girls' JV game go into OT, :eek:, not one, not two, but three, :eek::eek::eek:, OTs. With under 20 seconds to play in the 2nd OT, Team V was down 2 pts and had the ball when V-HC requests and is grant a TO. During the TO I told Junior that the game had better not go to a 3rd OT because I had to make a pit stop. Sure enough V1 makes a layup at the buzzer and we go to a 3rd OT, but not before Junior hit me with a TF for delay of game while I headed for the nearest rest room, :p.

MTD, Sr.

BigT Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:15pm

Mark you are the funniest and wisest referee I know...

Mark Padgett Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 981280)
Mark you are the funniest and wisest referee I know...

Thanks. ;)

BigT Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 981282)
Thanks. ;)

Mark P there is a completely different word for you...

:)

BryanV21 Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:33pm

As always... slow down. I'm such an impatient person that I want to get things moving as quickly as possible, but there are times when you have to stop and think to make sure you do the right thing.

Mark Padgett Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 981283)
Mark P there is a completely different word for you...

:)

Misanthropic? :p

Dad Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 981289)

Avoiding human society doesn't land you hot moms.

BigT Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 981289)

You nailed it!

BatteryPowered Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:57pm

I learned it is getting close to being time to take that long hard look at things.

I took a short look during the last week (my last game for the year was probably last night) and have set a few goals from myself before the start of next season. If I can hit those personal goals and basketball things stay the same...well, it's time.

Taking the rest of this week off, then start working on those goals.

JRutledge Wed Feb 17, 2016 01:09pm

I have learned mostly on this site, there are people that love to talk big and bad, but when put in a position to prove they can work, they can't. ;)

Peace

Dad Wed Feb 17, 2016 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 981295)
I have learned mostly on this site, there are people that love to talk big and bad, but when put in a position to prove they can work, they can't. ;)

Peace

So you've met people from Naperville also?

BigT Wed Feb 17, 2016 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatteryPowered (Post 981293)
I learned it is getting close to being time to take that long hard look at things.

I took a short look during the last week (my last game for the year was probably last night) and have set a few goals from myself before the start of next season. If I can hit those personal goals and basketball things stay the same...well, it's time.

Taking the rest of this week off, then start working on those goals.

How long you been refereeing?

Josh1993 Wed Feb 17, 2016 01:18pm

I've learned that when fans and players approach me outside of the sport, it is generally a good conversation and there is no reason to fear it.

At first, I would see a coach or loud fan at the gas station or grocery store and avoid them. Now, I'm more likely to say, "Hey, Coach. Good game last week." It's always been friendly.