The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Would you put the ball in play or wait? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100861-would-you-put-ball-play-wait.html)

twocentsworth Wed Feb 10, 2016 02:59pm

Put the ball in play? NOT. A. CHANCE.

I would absolutely give a Delay of Game warning BEFORE I went to ROP...I would do just about anything in my power to avoid administering the ball w/ only one team on the floor of a tied game in the last couple of minutes.

BTW - if you do that, you should know that it's not just a "free 2 points" for one team...it's going to be potentially 6 or 7 points - the coach is going to get a T and the resulting penalty will add 2FT's and the ball...

Sharpshooternes Wed Feb 10, 2016 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 980401)

I would absolutely give a Delay of Game warning BEFORE I went to ROP...I would do just about anything in my power to avoid administering the ball w/ only one team on the floor of a tied game in the last couple of minutes.

BTW - if you do that, you should know that it's not just a "free 2 points" for one team...it's going to be potentially 6 or 7 points - the coach is going to get a T and the resulting penalty will add 2FT's and the ball...

This would be incorrect by rule in HS.

Smitty Wed Feb 10, 2016 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 980404)

Considering the source, it's not a shocker...

BlueDevilRef Wed Feb 10, 2016 03:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 980404)

Ok, but nobody seems willing to answer how long you stand there asking please before you consider it a refusal to play.....not that this would happen in a tie ballgame but worst case scenario, what are the options by rule?

JRutledge Wed Feb 10, 2016 03:59pm

The problem is this should have never gotten to this point. RFP should have been used long time ago. I have even used it after the teams have broken the huddle so that they know we are not waiting on them. But late in the game is too late to start getting all caught up in the RFP when you have not taken care of this situation all game long.

Peace

Rich Wed Feb 10, 2016 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 980412)
The problem is this should have never gotten to this point. RFP should have been used long time ago. I have even used it after the teams have broken the huddle so that they know we are not waiting on them. But late in the game is too late to start getting all caught up in the RFP when you have not taken care of this situation all game long.

Peace

Based on the original post, this *hasn't* been an issue all game long.

So I'm not bothered if they take an extra few seconds here.

JRutledge Wed Feb 10, 2016 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 980409)
Ok, but nobody seems willing to answer how long you stand there asking please before you consider it a refusal to play.....not that this would happen in a tie ballgame but worst case scenario, what are the options by rule?

I referenced this a little but here is what I would do. I would wait until the team has broken the huddle and it appears we have 5 players, then give the team the ball. Then when they are not in position to defend, then they will realize we are not waiting. Because if you don't use the rule, then the other team has a right to bitch and complain. Again, but I hope I would have done something long before this to prevent this from getting to that point. I have done this early in a game and usually it ends the problems with us trying to get them out of the huddle.

Peace

Adam Wed Feb 10, 2016 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 980401)

I'm probably giving the coach a bit of leeway here, but frankly, if you think you can call a DOG warning here you really need to go back and re-read the DOG rules.

BlueDevilRef Wed Feb 10, 2016 05:19pm

Again, I ask: what penalty is there for this coach? Do you wait a few seconds (I'm ok with that), how about 10, 15,20? At what point is he getting an unfair advantage over the other team? I realize this isn't one of the four DOG situations, so what other penalty is there other than putting ball in play after a few tweets and "ball is coming into play"

Adam Wed Feb 10, 2016 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 980427)
Again, I ask: what penalty is there for this coach? Do you wait a few seconds (I'm ok with that), how about 10, 15,20? At what point is he getting an unfair advantage over the other team? I realize this isn't one of the four DOG situations, so what other penalty is there other than putting ball in play after a few tweets and "ball is coming into play"

One of us is getting into the huddle. If he flat out ignores us, we'll eventually have to put it in play, but I'm going to be able to accurately tell my assigner I did everything I could. The only rule-supported response is ROP, and in some areas it would be the right thing to do. Most places want you to figure out a way to get him back on the court. In the end, though, there's only one remedy, but it's essentially the nuclear option.

BlueDevilRef Wed Feb 10, 2016 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 980430)
One of us is getting into the huddle. If he flat out ignores us, we'll eventually have to put it in play, but I'm going to be able to accurately tell my assigner I did everything I could. The only rule-supported response is ROP, and in some areas it would be the right thing to do. Most places want you to figure out a way to get him back on the court. In the end, though, there's only one remedy, but it's essentially the nuclear option.

Ok. This was what I thought but wanted to hear it from someone else as well. Seemed like guys were kinda dancing around it. I've found as soon as I say "that wouldn't happen in my games" then that is exactly what happens to me so I'm glad we at least have the same opinion about the worst case scenario and the rule

Camron Rust Wed Feb 10, 2016 06:54pm

Just grant him another timeout! ;););)

BlueDevilRef Wed Feb 10, 2016 08:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 980436)

Ha! I almost proffered this earlier as a half ass (1/4 ass?) reasonable option. I know it's not an option by rule but I bet if somebody did it, he wouldn't dawdle ever again

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Feb 10, 2016 08:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 980436)

And if he's out of timeouts, make sure you whack him as you do this!! :D:p:D:p:D

SNIPERBBB Wed Feb 10, 2016 08:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 980430)

Here, we are near the huddles trying to get them out before the second horn goes. It works fairly well as long as you dont have the guy(s) that after the first horn they wander off to wherever they are supposed to be when play resumes.