The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 12:52pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Not the advice I got from a tax pro. Commuting to work from home is not deductible for W2 employees. No one I know of is W2 for officiating. Independent contractors (what we do) are different, though, and can deduct mileage to and from games.

As always, consult your tax professional.
That's the same exact advice I've gotten. I trust this lady, she used to work for the IRS and trained quite a few agents.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 01:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
That's the same exact advice I've gotten. I trust this lady, she used to work for the IRS and trained quite a few agents.
I think the difference is whether you're going to a regular office, or whether you're going to other locations.

A realtor is a good example. They don't get to deduct mileage to the office, but they can deduct mileage they use to meet clients in other locations; whether they have a home/work office or not.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Additionally, and probably of much more relevance to most officials, mileage from your regular work location to a temporary work location (which almost everywhere we officiate would be unless you're going to the same place so often that it's a regular work location) is deductible, regardless of home office status. The home office thing is essentially the same thing, since it would then be your regular location so travel from home directly to the temp work location would then be deductible.

Here's a handy chart from the IRS to help (not applicable if you work from home):

and the original IRS publication:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p46...link1000136362
Note the line about temporary locations....

Quote:
Temporary work location: A place where your work assignment is realistically expected to last (and does in fact last) one year or less. Unless you have a regular place of business, you can only deduct your transportation expenses to a temporary work location outside your metropolitan area.
I think this implies that someone only doing officiating for income can only deduct their mileage for games outside of their metro area but someone with a day job can deduct it at all times.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Feb 09, 2016 at 02:51pm.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Note the line about temporary locations....

I think this implies that someone only doing officiating for income can only deduct their mileage for games outside of their metro area but someone with a day job can deduct it at all times.
Indeed, that's how I read it from the text in the publication. Not just full-time officials, but anyone whose primary place of business is their home. If you work from home and that's your 'regular job' location, then any commuting to temporary work locations in your metro area would be considered non-deductible.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 06:27pm
Archaic Power Monger

I'm really glad this thread came up now. I'm going to have to discuss this in detail with my tax person since I started working from home this past year.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2016, 09:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I'm really glad this thread came up now. I'm going to have to discuss this in detail with my tax person since I started working from home this past year.
Let me know what she says. I'm curious.