The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tax Season (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100827-tax-season.html)

mrroberts Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:34am

Tax Season

Somebody school me... report/not report? Is there a dollar value per school that one would need to make before reporting?

Altor Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:42am

Theoretically/ethically....$1

bob jenkins Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:11am

You should report all your income -- whether paid by cash or check; or from the school or the association / assigner; whether you get a 1099 or not.

you should also deduct all your expenses.

In general, it's far worse to under-report your income than it is to over-report your expenses

crosscountry55 Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 979672)
Theoretically/ethically....$1

Yes. But, for purposes of knowing what the amount is for which an individual employer must report your income to the IRS, I think it's $600/yr. Any CPAs out there to confirm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raymond Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 979775)
Yes. But, for purposes of knowing what the amount is for which an individual employer must report your income to the IRS, I think it's $600/yr. Any CPAs out there to confirm?

We are still responsible for reporting any income, 1099 or not.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Camron Rust Sat Feb 06, 2016 03:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 979775)

Federal, yes, it is $600. But, it isn't an employer. If so, you'd get a W2 and not a 1099. That is the cutoff where they are required to file one, but they may file one for smaller amounts.

Reffing Rev. Sat Feb 06, 2016 08:13am

If you had more than $400 of income before expenses you may be required to pay SECA. That is 400 total, not just from 1 school/payer. You're going to need a schedule C and a schedule SE. If you are one of those who work tons of games, you may even be required to pay quarterly tax estimates.

Be careful with your business expenses for officiating. If audited you will probably lose most of the write-offs without very good substantiation.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Feb 06, 2016 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. (Post 979792)
If you had more than $400 of income before expenses you may be required to pay SECA. That is 400 total, not just from 1 school/payer. You're going to need a schedule C and a schedule SE. If you are one of those who work tons of games, you may even be required to pay quarterly tax estimates.

Be careful with your business expenses for officiating. If audited you will probably lose most of the write-offs without very good substantiation.

It is not $400 income before expenses but taxable profit after expenses.

MTD, Sr.

bob jenkins Sat Feb 06, 2016 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 979788)
Federal, yes, it is $600. But, it isn't an employer. If so, you'd get a W2 and not a 1099. That is the cutoff where they are required to file one, but they may file one for smaller amounts.

I have heard or read (but do not know for sure) that some entities are required to report all payments to the IRS, but they only are required to send a 1099 to the taxpayer if >$600. It doesn't matter to me what they do -- I know what I do.

Adam Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrroberts (Post 979668)
Somebody school me... report/not report? Is there a dollar value per school that one would need to make before reporting?

Everything should be reported.

Checks
Refpay
Cash
Payments in kind

All of it, regardless of amount.

Any 1099s you receive should be extraneous information.

Rich Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:01am

Just got my 1099 from ArbiterPay recently.

I laughed cause I know there are officials out there that were really p'ed off to receive such a thing.

BillyMac Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:19am

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 979683)
you should also deduct all your expenses.

Dues, fines, insurance, camps, mileage (games, meetings, camps), equipment (whistles, lanyards, bag, etc.), uniforms, shoes, books, DVD's, etc.

Wait. I'm being told ... No profit over expenses? Are you sure? Dang it. I've got to get a better schedule.

just another ref Sat Feb 06, 2016 01:11pm

Also, I'm not sure what defines a hobby, (something you do other than your primary job?) but in the past I've been told, if a hobby makes money, it is taxable, but if it loses money, it is not deductible.

Rich Sat Feb 06, 2016 01:17pm

A second job isn't a hobby. A hobby is something you do with no expectation or history of making money.

just another ref Sat Feb 06, 2016 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 979816)
A second job isn't a hobby. A hobby is something you do with no expectation or history of making money.

Exactly

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich
I just drove 160 miles roundtrip last night for $50. I'm not in this for the bucks