The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 04, 2016, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Technical foul & Ejection

I can not believe that I had another ejection tonight. 2nd one this season.

Here's what we have, 1Q Middle school coach is calling the game. "That's a walk", "3 seconds ", "Double dribble ", over and over. I stop the game and explain to him that he can not referee the game. He has to coach. He settled down a little, less complaining. Then suddenly he is complaining as I am reporting a foul against his team. I warn him that I am not going to listen to his complaining. He doesn't stop. I call the 1st T.

He persists as I am reporting the T. I warn him to stop. He doesn't. The game administration is working the clock at the table, I tell him that the coach is about to leave the gym. Coach is still complaining about the foul calls. ( They were 6-4 against him). I give him his 2nd and tell him to leave the gym. It took about 3 minutes to get him out.

The game went much smoother without him. His team competed for a while but got in foul trouble and lost but 13.

I hate tossing a coach, but he would stop complaining. I have 68 games for the year 6 Technical fouls all on coaches.

The problem I see is coach constantly complaining feeds into the players complaining and the fans complaining. At one point, it was a 1 and 1 FT, A1 misses and B1 catches the ball tosses it to my partner out of bounds. A's ball for throw in. Someone in the stands yells " I wish you knew the rules". I didnt throw the ball OOB...
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I can not believe that I had another ejection tonight. 2nd one this season.

Here's what we have, 1Q Middle school coach is calling the game. "That's a walk", "3 seconds ", "Double dribble ", over and over. I stop the game and explain to him that he can not referee the game. He has to coach. He settled down a little, less complaining. Then suddenly he is complaining as I am reporting a foul against his team. I warn him that I am not going to listen to his complaining. He doesn't stop. I call the 1st T.

He persists as I am reporting the T. I warn him to stop. He doesn't. The game administration is working the clock at the table, I tell him that the coach is about to leave the gym. Coach is still complaining about the foul calls. ( They were 6-4 against him). I give him his 2nd and tell him to leave the gym. It took about 3 minutes to get him out.

The game went much smoother without him. His team competed for a while but got in foul trouble and lost but 13.

I hate tossing a coach, but he would stop complaining. I have 68 games for the year 6 Technical fouls all on coaches.

The problem I see is coach constantly complaining feeds into the players complaining and the fans complaining. At one point, it was a 1 and 1 FT, A1 misses and B1 catches the ball tosses it to my partner out of bounds. A's ball for throw in. Someone in the stands yells " I wish you knew the rules". I didnt throw the ball OOB...
"Middle school coach" pretty much says it all.

I'm curious as to why you wasted almost 3 minutes getting him to leave. Don't waste your time interacting with the ejected coach - tell the timer to let you know when 30 seconds have elapsed then step away from the table and stand towards the jump circle....if he hasn't left when time expires you declare a forfeit - game over.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 12:35am
AremRed

30 seconds seems a little quick. I'd give him a minute before calling a forfeit.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
He persists as I am reporting the T. I warn him to stop. He doesn't.
Ummm, why? I would think the T was the first - actually second - warning. After the T that kind of "conversation" is done. I would also tell my partner(s) - if possible - that they should get the 2nd one of it has to happen.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 01:18am
Do not give a damn!!

I can when you say, "Middle school...." I do not need to even read the rest.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

My partner was not strong, fairly new and has never called a Technical foul.

It took about 3 minutes because he took about 45 seconds getting the bench (his assistant ) in order, then he went to the locker room and stood in the door to watch the game. I explained he has to leave the visual confines. He argued, I went to game management and explained that if he did not leave, there would be a forfeit. GM went to the locker room, explained the situation and walked him the length of the gym floor to the exit.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2016, 11:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
"Middle school coach" pretty much says it all.

I'm curious as to why you wasted almost 3 minutes getting him to leave. Don't waste your time interacting with the ejected coach - tell the timer to let you know when 30 seconds have elapsed then step away from the table and stand towards the jump circle....if he hasn't left when time expires you declare a forfeit - game over.
I've been involved with only one coach who was tossed and wouldn't leave. I advised his AC, who was taking over, that the HC had 60 seconds to be out of the gym where I can't see him.

My partner, who had called the 2nd T, had already called a 3rd on the HC before I stepped in. His team was winning by about 30, and once he realized he could cost them the game he left fairly quickly.

I learned there that as soon as you recognize the coach is being a child, advise his replacement of the consequences, set a time limit (30, 60, it really doesn't matter), and go with it.