The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Running out of bounds and returning (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100793-running-out-bounds-returning.html)

Adam Sat Feb 27, 2016 05:49pm

This one falls pretty low on that scale. We've had some real stinkers over the years.

bob jenkins Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 982553)
Maybe this will make it easier for you.

I don't think I need it to be any easier for me, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 982554)
Is it fair to say that what a player can legally do (regarding traveling and illegal dribble) while 100% on the court is also legal when said player is involved in a legal off/on momentum boundary situation? And that what a player cannot legally do (regarding traveling and illegal dribble) while 100% on the court is also illegal when said player is involved in a legal off/on momentum boundary situation? Can the off/on momentum boundary situation be taken completely out of the equation to simplify the matter? Or am I missing some subtle exceptions?

You are correct that none of the plays being discussed have anything to do with any OOB / returning violation (or not).

thedewed Thu Mar 10, 2016 05:32pm

with 6 to go in the K state KU game today, selden goes out of bounds, wasn't even the last to touch, then comes back in, 1 foot clearly down the other one either also down or in the air, but certainly not out of bounds, and college assigner of officials Gerry Pollard called a violation while pointing at Selden and screaming about something. So he apparently doesn't know the rule. If any of you know him, you might educate him, if you are comfortable helping him grow as an official.

Adam Thu Mar 10, 2016 05:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 983739)
with 6 to go in the K state KU game today, selden goes out of bounds, wasn't even the last to touch, then comes back in, 1 foot clearly down the other one either also down or in the air, but certainly not out of bounds, and college assigner of officials Gerry Pollard called a violation while pointing at Selden and screaming about something. So he apparently doesn't know the rule. If any of you know him, you might educate him, if you are comfortable helping him grow as an official.

As you described it, he missed the call.

It happens.

I've worked with very good officials who don't know this rule. That happens, too.

Or, Pollard determined that he went out of his own volition, and was the first to touch the ball when he got back in bounds. That's a violation in NCAA.

jpgc99 Thu Mar 10, 2016 07:44pm

Quote:

Sounds like you know him and don't get picked up.

Raymond Thu Mar 10, 2016 08:31pm

Quote:

WTF is your purpose here? You got a resume' to back up these whiney a$$ posts?

Raymond Thu Mar 10, 2016 08:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 983740)
As you described it, he missed the call.

It happens.

I've worked with very good officials who don't know this rule. That happens, too.

Or, Pollard determined that he went out of his own volition, and was the first to touch the ball when he got back in bounds. That's a violation in NCAA.

As described I have no idea what happened in this play. Was Selden dribbling? Was it a pass? Maybe if this poster was halfway capable of describing in officiating language I'd take him seriously.

BlueDevilRef Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:02pm

I rarely agree with BNR[emoji12] but I'll do so here. Never mentions the ball, who had it, pass/dribble etc.
I'm sure Pollard is on this game bc he is pretty good at doing the job.

Adam Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 983748)
As described I have no idea what happened in this play. Was Selden dribbling? Was it a pass? Maybe if this poster was halfway capable of describing in officiating language I'd take him seriously.

Yeah, I thought I had a picture in my head because I've seen guys miss ruels and calls that should know better. I've missed rules and calls and should know better.

But you're right, so much is missing from that description that it is meaningless.

thedewed Fri Mar 11, 2016 07:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 983747)

wtf is your problem? I figured one of you guys know him. I don't, don't officiate anymore, I have kids and coach. And he seriously does not know the rule. It's not a matter of missing a judgment call.

It was in transition, Selden chasing down a KSU guys that shoots a wild layup, Selden goes up to try to block, misses it, ball comes off and both guys through momentum end up out of bounds, Selden comes back in, clearly has one foot down, and the other one is close to being down or is in the air, but he's a couple feet inbounds, and Pollard blows the whistle and screams some explanation and gives it to KSU.

The game was out of reach, no one cared or commented. I figured that somebody on here is his buddy and cares, they'd mention it to him, because I guarantee that if it was a close game and he made that call, it would be a bad deal.

I don't really GAF, just thought somebody on here might. If you know him and don't mention it, you aren't helping him out. I understand the ego deal with officials lol, but ultimately, it might come back to haunt him.

AremRed Fri Mar 11, 2016 08:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 983747)

Sounds like a dude who didn't get any/enough GLVC assignments. :D

BlueDevilRef Fri Mar 11, 2016 09:06pm

If I had a guess, it would be Pollard knows the rule and either missed it or saw something you didn't because he was there and you are not seeing the angle he had. But you really should give a better description of plays if you want to discuss them.

thedewed Sat Mar 12, 2016 08:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 983846)
Sounds like a dude who didn't get any/enough GLVC assignments. :D

I worked for Zetcher, not Pollard, got hired my second summer of camps, worked a few years and got a good conference schedule, and did just fine, thanks, but my priorities changed. I'd rather coach and actually play than officiate at this point.

Besides, the application of the rules changes would drive me crazy. I don't think officials are giving the defense enough credit for positional defense, and punishing them more than the offense for any contact between the 2. If a defender is there and giving ground or not closing the gap with the dribbler, don't call a foul on the defense.

Particularly at the high school level in my area, I see games where there are 60 and more fouls called. It is absolutely ridiculous and a result of administrators telling guys to blow the whistle, blow the whistle. Ruins many games.

I am find with the rule changes, understand the rationale, but I don't think officials properly implement them because they forget the ballhandlers are many times like running backs, lowering their shoulders, quick and tremendous athletes.

There was nothing Pollard could have seen that made it an incorrect judgment call, he either forgot or doesn't know the rule. I just found it noteworthy given this discussion.

deecee Sat Mar 12, 2016 09:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 983857)
I worked for Zetcher, not Pollard, got hired my second summer of camps, worked a few years and got a good conference schedule, and did just fine, thanks, but my priorities changed. I'd rather coach and actually play than officiate at this point.

Besides, the application of the rules changes would drive me crazy. I don't think officials are giving the defense enough credit for positional defense, and punishing them more than the offense for any contact between the 2. If a defender is there and giving ground or not closing the gap with the dribbler, don't call a foul on the defense.

Particularly at the high school level in my area, I see games where there are 60 and more fouls called. It is absolutely ridiculous and a result of administrators telling guys to blow the whistle, blow the whistle. Ruins many games.

I am find with the rule changes, understand the rationale, but I don't think officials properly implement them because they forget the ballhandlers are many times like running backs, lowering their shoulders, quick and tremendous athletes.

There was nothing Pollard could have seen that made it an incorrect judgment call, he either forgot or doesn't know the rule. I just found it noteworthy given this discussion.

I'll speak to the number of fouls called at the HS level. This is usually the case due to piss poor coaching and an inability for coaches and/or players to adjust to how a game is being called. We don't blow the whistle to just blow the whistle. We blow it when it needs to be blown. Crappy defense would tend to do that.

Lowering your shoulders IS NOT A FOUL. A foul has to do with contact and who DID NOT get to the spot legally in most cases.

Adam Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 983857)

Without video, we're all left to guess at this point. People miss calls all the time, for a variety of reasons. You know the rule, so this was nothing more than a gratuitous shot at a D1 official. I'm not sure what else your purpose would have been in adding this to a dead thread.

It's time to let this one go.