The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:01pm
TODO: creative title here

I'd support either a Team T or a Direct Head Coach T for player equipment violations ONLY if they simplify the player equipment rules enough that they can actually be comprehensible to the layperson/below average official (because, let's be honest, it's really the fact that the below-average officials don't know/don't care/refuse to enforce these rules that we have any problems at all).

I've mentioned it before, but here's what I'd suggest for a player equipment rules:

Anything that isn't jersey, shorts, shoes or socks:
1) must be solid black/white/jersey colored.
2) must be the same for all teammates.

The jewelry rule can remain as-is.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Yes.

If you notice before the game, you tell the coach, "If he/they want to play, the first time they check in, we'll assess a one-time technical foul to you, but that's it, and you'll have to remain seated from that point forward." Any retort should be met with, "sorry, coach, but the rule on this is very clear."

If you notice during the game but before beckoning the sub with an illegal number, you can give the coach an "out" by offering him the chance to withdraw the sub. If the sub/team member doesn't participate, no penalty.

After beckoning, the sub is now a player, and you must penalize the head coach. But the sub and any other team members with illegal numbers can still play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not to beat a dead horse but a thread earlier this week has shown part of your statement not to be true. Beckoning the sub does not make them a player. They have to be beckoned and enter the court to be a legal player.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 12:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
Not to beat a dead horse but a thread earlier this week has shown part of your statement not to be true. Beckoning the sub does not make them a player. They have to be beckoned and enter the court to be a legal player.
Interesting application.

Once this is brought to my attention, I'd be inclined to give the coach the choice at that point.

I'd probably draw the line when the player entered the court.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
I'd support either a Team T or a Direct Head Coach T for player equipment violations ONLY if they simplify the player equipment rules enough that they can actually be comprehensible to the layperson/below average official (because, let's be honest, it's really the fact that the below-average officials don't know/don't care/refuse to enforce these rules that we have any problems at all).
They already are pretty simple. It is the gymnastics some people try to go through to get out of enforcing them that makes it complicated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
I've mentioned it before, but here's what I'd suggest for a player equipment rules:

Anything that isn't jersey, shorts, shoes or socks:
1) must be solid black/white/jersey colored.
2) must be the same for all teammates.

The jewelry rule can remain as-is.
Except for shoes and socks and beige being a legal color, that is the case now. Good luck getting shoes covered. With the fit of shoes being of the greatest importance, I doubt you'll ever see a color restriction on them. Likewise with medical equipment. If a doctor directs them to wear a brace, I doubt they have the choice of colors.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 03:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Colour My World (Chicago, 1970) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
They already are pretty simple.
From waist to knee, what's the difference (to an observer) between compression shorts (uniform color), short tights (black, white, beige, or jersey color, same color for all), or leg sleeves (black, white, beige, or jersey color, same color for all), that cover the entire thigh (waist to knee)?

And what defines a uniform color (compression shorts)? Jersey? Shorts?

With the exceptions above, I agree that everything else is pretty simple.

Get rid of all references to compression shorts in the rulebook and everything is pretty simple.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 29, 2016 at 08:37pm.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 08:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What's Black And White And Red All Over ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Get rid of all references to compression shorts in the rulebook and everything is pretty simple.
And get rid of beige as a legal color for equipment. It's 2016. Prewrap comes in all colors of the rainbow now.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
Excellent point.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was under the impression that the T wouldn't make it legal for them to wear it, just that it would be a T if discovered while playing and they must still remove it to continue. The idea being that the threat of a T (on the head coach) would encourage the coach to make sure it is taken care of so we don't have to.

And it would apply to all uniform/apparel issues that are regulated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I like that better.
I have to take the other side of the fence and disagree with this. If you have a uniform violation that is discovered while playing, then that means we screwed up somewhere along the way, because they shouldn't be allowed to have played in the 1st place. While I admit I haven't thought a ton about this, If a technical rule was introduced, I think it would need to be either change all uniforms to be legal (one warning) or take a single tech to cover all infractions, similar to the illegal number thing.

It just seems that calling a tech for something we should've caught earlier is going to make things worse for us, not better
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I have to take the other side of the fence and disagree with this. If you have a uniform violation that is discovered while playing, then that means we screwed up somewhere along the way, because they shouldn't be allowed to have played in the 1st place. While I admit I haven't thought a ton about this, If a technical rule was introduced, I think it would need to be either change all uniforms to be legal (one warning) or take a single tech to cover all infractions, similar to the illegal number thing.

It just seems that calling a tech for something we should've caught earlier is going to make things worse for us, not better
The idea is that we'd be removed form checking it all before the game and put the onus on the coach.

As for the illegal uniforms, it already is one T regardless of the number of offenders.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
This was my understanding as well, but I think the focus is on illegal player equipment (arm/leg sleeves, tights, head/wrist bands, etc.). Up to now the only penalty has been the player can't play with illegal equipment. I think the idea is to send a message that they are serious about enforcing player equipment rules, and as Cam said, putting the responsibility on the HC.

I did a google search and found that the state doing the trial is North Carolina. Interesting power-point -two year experiment. The first year (last year) the penalty was a team technical, this year the penalty is a direct T on the head coach. Mandatory enforcement & reporting requirement for officials as well - if they do not, entire crew can get penalized. Wonder how it is working out?
Care to share the link?
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Exactly. Compare it to illegal undershirts and jewelry. No penalty, they just aren't allowed to play.
Exactly.

I was observing a game yesterday and about 2-3 minutes into the game, the trail official blows his whistle and assesses a technical foul against the player dribbling the ball for wearing one of those plastic bracelets. The coach protested, and the calling official gave him the stop sign, and said it was a technical foul. FTs were shot, and play continued.

I was in the halftime discussion, and the calling official talked about how standing up to the coach in that discussion made for a better half as the coach, who can be a bit boisterous at times, and had been in the previous day's game, spent the half coaching his kids and not worrying about the officials' calls. When the calling official turned to me and asked my opinion, I asked, "But what if the coach was right?" The official said, "But he's not right, you can't play with jewelry, and it's a technical foul if you do." I explained that his statement was half right, but that if you discover a player wearing jewelry or any illegal jewelry, armbands, sleeves, etc., you simply direct them to leave the game and they can't return until it is fixed. He then stated that the coach is responsible for not allowing a player with an illegal uniform to play. So before I explained the difference between illegal uniforms(Rule 3-4, which is specifically cited in Rule 10-5) and illegal equipment and apparel(Rule 3-5), I asked him who he assessed the technical foul against. He stated that he had called it against the PLAYER. I then pointed out if it's a uniform violation the T should be on the COACH, not the PLAYER.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Exactly.

I was observing a game yesterday and about 2-3 minutes into the game, the trail official blows his whistle and assesses a technical foul against the player dribbling the ball for wearing one of those plastic bracelets. The coach protested, and the calling official gave him the stop sign, and said it was a technical foul. FTs were shot, and play continued.

I was in the halftime discussion, and the calling official talked about how standing up to the coach in that discussion made for a better half as the coach, who can be a bit boisterous at times, and had been in the previous day's game, spent the half coaching his kids and not worrying about the officials' calls. When the calling official turned to me and asked my opinion, I asked, "But what if the coach was right?" The official said, "But he's not right, you can't play with jewelry, and it's a technical foul if you do." I explained that his statement was half right, but that if you discover a player wearing jewelry or any illegal jewelry, armbands, sleeves, etc., you simply direct them to leave the game and they can't return until it is fixed. He then stated that the coach is responsible for not allowing a player with an illegal uniform to play. So before I explained the difference between illegal uniforms(Rule 3-4, which is specifically cited in Rule 10-5) and illegal equipment and apparel(Rule 3-5), I asked him who he assessed the technical foul against. He stated that he had called it against the PLAYER. I then pointed out if it's a uniform violation the T should be on the COACH, not the PLAYER.
You rulebook official!
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Care to share the link?
https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default...0Point.CD_.ppt

see slides 10 thru 15
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post

Link doesn't work.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You rulebook official!

I do pride myself on knowing the rules and try to help educate those I work with. I also appreciate those who know and understand them better than I do and try to learn from them.