The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 03:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Agree -- this is being radically shaped by how people are picturing the play. My initial picture was a foul followed by a push because the player was still trying to get the ref to call the foul. That to me is just a common foul, followed by a nothing.

But if it's a more violent push or more clearly after play is stopped, the whole scenario changes radically and common foul plus tech makes a lot of sense.

Personally, I'm hard pressed to see an intentional foul here with a common foul occurring first.
If I'm right on top of it, and the player's initial foul turns to an intentional foul before I can even finish blowing my whistle, I'm escalating to an intentional foul. We can't ignore a player being shoved down.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

I've had a similar play and gone with common plus CDBT (in NCAAW). Some confusion from the coach, but no real issues.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
"The instant my whistle ends, B-2 shoves A-1 down."

If this is how the play went down what would you call?
If it happened that instant, it seems it was already in progress and could easily be part of that action. Can't really say....unless he is suggesting his whistle what really long.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

It sounds like the correct call is common then T, unless as has been pointed out, it's all part of the same initial contact.

I think another question you have to ask is why did this happen? Did you take too long to recognize the take foul and thus the defender felt it was necessary to make the contact more blatant or did something occur between the players that caused the defender to shove the ball handler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

I'm in the "I would like to see the play" camp. If there's contact - whistle - (beat) - push, that's common and a T. I guess a question would be did it appear the defender was going to follow through with the contact on the common foul? That would be the one way to justify an IF. If they stopped themselves and then shoved, that's a T. Based on the OP it sounds as though the latter is what happened.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Or the "two" actions were really one extended action.

It sounds to me like the push came before the whistle was sounded. If it was that quick, it could very well have been one act.

I think I'd have to see it to know if I'd consider it one act or two.
Agree