The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Full Courter Waved Off

From a high school in Montana this past weekend, both teams were undefeated in a great game, and a kid from the home team hit a full court shot at the horn, but the officials waved it off. HOWEVER... upon further review, the news camera just happened to be at the perfect angle to see the ball released with 0.2 on the clock. Tough play, I wonder if the clock didn't start on time, and the official blew it dead knowing that more than 1.0 seconds elapsed. Otherwise I know I'd have to be pretty damn sure to waive off any basket.

The actual shot and replay start at 55 seconds into the video.

Falcons win battle of unbeatens on waved-off 80-footer - KTVQ.com | Q2 | Continuous News Coverage | Billings, MT
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

To screw this up as a crew if they were going off the clock is really bad. I can't see mucking up this call with .2 on release. Your point is valid and probably what happened.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

I assume one of the coaches called timeout before they put 1.0 back on the clock?
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
I assume one of the coaches called timeout before they put 1.0 back on the clock?
Correct.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

The officials are not the timers.
The Referee is only to correct OBVIOUS timing mistakes.
Too many people want to get involved when they shouldn't.
The timer is human and not perfect. This isn't D1 with HD cameras and a courtside monitor.
If the timer is close, the officials should not be involved in that aspect of the game.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 06:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The officials are not the timers.
The Referee is only to correct OBVIOUS timing mistakes.
Too many people want to get involved when they shouldn't.
The timer is human and not perfect. This isn't D1 with HD cameras and a courtside monitor.
If the timer is close, the officials should not be involved in that aspect of the game.
Agreed. I hope, in this case, it's just a matter of the official getting the call wrong. No way the timing error here, if there is any, is obvious enough to deal with like this.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2016, 06:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Watching the 3 officials, I'm just not sure how they came up with 1.0 second.

I had a last second shot at halftime this year I waved off. 0.4 seconds on the clock. Kid caught the inbounds pass with his back to the basket, turned with a dribble, and shot. No chance this took 0.4 seconds or less and I waved it off without really worrying myself if the shot beat the clock. Either it didn't or if it did, the clock operator was in error.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Watching the 3 officials, I'm just not sure how they came up with 1.0 second.

I had a last second shot at halftime this year I waved off. 0.4 seconds on the clock. Kid caught the inbounds pass with his back to the basket, turned with a dribble, and shot. No chance this took 0.4 seconds or less and I waved it off without really worrying myself if the shot beat the clock. Either it didn't or if it did, the clock operator was in error.
The T may have glanced up at the clock the moment the ball cleared the net. Just stopping the video while watching the clip it appears as though the crew got the 0:01.0 part of things right.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
The T may have glanced up at the clock the moment the ball cleared the net. Just stopping the video while watching the clip it appears as though the crew got the 0:01.0 part of things right.
I watched the video without sound. Can you hear a whistle in it? Did you pause it right after that?
I don't want posters to be confused by the college rule of the clock stopping when the ball clears the net. That is not the appropriate stopping point in NFHS games.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I watched the video without sound. Can you hear a whistle in it? Did you pause it right after that?
I don't want posters to be confused by the college rule of the clock stopping when the ball clears the net. That is not the appropriate stopping point in NFHS games.
The clock continues to run properly after the make, and the first reaction I see from an official comes from the lead, and appears to be at about 0.3. I'm surprised the timeout wasn't granted quicker by the opposite C, seems like a perfect time to be looking for the quick timeout after a basket.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 01:53am
Do not give a damn!!

The clock stopping at :01 seems right. Again totally dependent on the request of the timeout by the coach. I have no issues with that being the time on the clock.

Now the last second shot, that is another story.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
The clock continues to run properly after the make, and the first reaction I see from an official comes from the lead, and appears to be at about 0.3. I'm surprised the timeout wasn't granted quicker by the opposite C, seems like a perfect time to be looking for the quick timeout after a basket.
Quote:
I'll amend the earlier observation: 0:01.0 appears to be the right amount of time if that's when one of the officials - most likely the L since he was the first one to look at the home team's bench - recognized the HC was requesting a time out. I'm with JRut...no issues with the time on the clock on my end.

As JRut said, the last-second shot is another story.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I'll amend the earlier observation: 0:01.0 appears to be the right amount of time if that's when one of the officials - most likely the L since he was the first one to look at the home team's bench - recognized the HC was requesting a time out. I'm with JRut...no issues with the time on the clock on my end.

As JRut said, the last-second shot is another story.
Way to dodge the questions.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 02:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I cannot hear much sound from the highlight at all. The sound is muted big time as many highlights are done. Not sure what difference it makes, it is when the timeout is granted, not necessarily when the whistle blows.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I cannot hear much sound from the highlight at all. The sound is muted big time as many highlights are done. Not sure what difference it makes, it is when the timeout is granted, not necessarily when the whistle blows.
Wrong by rule!
Of course, you'll never admit it.