The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

3 plays VIDEO included

Hey guys, wanted your opinion on 3 plays from this game. Sorry that I don't have anyway to edit the clips so the whole game is embedded. I am the fat bald guy in the video

If any of our video guys can clip these three plays, that would be fantastic!! I don't have the software to do it and what I have I can't get the video to upload.

East vs Flower Mound 1/12/16 (I have included the embed link for the video, but it is not showing so I've included the link as well)

3 plays:
1) Block call, I thought it was pretty easy but coach disagreed. Play starts at 15:44 mark.

2) Hold call. Play occurs at 23:20.

3) Throw in/no call with 9 seconds to go. Play starts at 1:24:30. (Here is the clip that coach sent, opposite side of floor from above video link) She says, "Missed it, defender slapped straight across the shooters arm…**** (name removed) even put his fist up! This was a game deciding no call."

I'm not sure why lead put a fist up and it is clearly a fist and it's after the girl hit the floor. He didn't say anything about the play other than he thought it was clean after the game. I didn't realize he had a fist until after viewing the clip from the coach.

Last edited by Texref; Thu Jan 14, 2016 at 12:58am.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texref View Post
Hey guys, wanted your opinion on 3 plays from this game. Sorry that I don't have anyway to edit the clips so the whole game is embedded. I am the fat bald guy in the video

If any of our video guys can clip these three plays, that would be fantastic!! I don't have the software to do it and what I have I can't get the video to upload.

East vs Flower Mound 1/12/16 (I have included the embed link for the video, but it is not showing so I've included the link as well)

3 plays:
1) Block call, I thought it was pretty easy but coach disagreed. Play starts at 15:44 mark.

3) Throw in/no call with 9 seconds to go. Play starts at 1:24:30. (Here is the clip that coach sent, opposite side of floor from above video link) She says, "Missed it, defender slapped straight across the shooters arm…**** (name removed) even put his fist up! This was a game deciding no call."

I'm not sure why lead put a fist up and it is clearly a fist and it's after the girl hit the floor. He didn't say anything about the play other than he thought it was clean after the game. I didn't realize he had a fist until after viewing the clip from the coach.
1. Block - Nothing in the video to suggest otherwise.
2. Good get.
3. Absolutely nothing there. Ugly play but nothing.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

1. Block
2. Good get. Looks like there was a hold on the block before that one.
3. Hmm... there's no way to see the arm really from either angle but 12 had her left hand on the shooter's hip before the catch and on the shot.

Going to guess it was white's coach who sent the tape and the comments. I would have stuck her at 23:23 if I was trail. If not before that...

Also, a big THANK YOU. When people put game tapes out there, knowing they may even receive criticism, it gives us all plays to discuss and things to study. It helps make us all better.

Last edited by biggravy; Thu Jan 14, 2016 at 01:13am.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

1. Block
2. Hold
3. I see the defenders arm out in front of the shooter but I can't see contact. She thinks it's a game decider. The fact that she, the coach, allowed the tall girl in black to score 36 points (out of 52 total) had nothing to do w it.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 01:23am
Do not give a damn!!

I cannot see the videos at all. Did the link move?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 02:03am
AremRed

Play 1: No call

Play 2: Great call, gotta get that before it escalates

Play 3: Absolutely nothing. Girl is taking a fadeaway shot while moving laterally as well, no way I'm bailing her out. Alternate angle is worse, does not show defender coming down. Hand on the hip is irrelevant, the shooter was heading that direction anyway. Referee the defense -- defender had her arm vertical, or at least close enough. Coach is blowing smoke. Lead probably got surprised which is why he put his fist up. Thankfully no whistle.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

I would have made the same three decisions as the game officials did.
1. Blocking foul against an opponent in the act of shooting.
2. Defender impeded the opponent's freedom of movement. A holding foul seems to be the best signal to use.
3. Legal defending while the opponent forces a 3pt attempt. There was plenty of time to get a better shot.

It takes courage to post video of yourself. I applaud you.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One thing I noticed on this play - other than the proper call, of course - is four eyes were on the ball when the call was made. Truth be told, the C appears to have been ball-watching during most of the play. Given where the hold took place I would've expected a double whistle.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

1. Block all day. What did coach want? When coaches protest a call like this that tells me they just like to argue anything so I don't give them much of an audience going forward.
2. Great call.
3. Ugly, but nothing.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback and the time to look at plays. The reason I posted I first 2 plays is the coach did not like either of them. The block led to a warning for the coach and the hold she said the girl deserved an oscar for her acting. The last play was what she sent to me after the game before I even made it home.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback and the time to look at plays. The reason I posted I first 2 plays is the coach did not like either of them. The block led to a warning for the coach and the hold she said the girl deserved an oscar for her acting. The last play was what she sent to me after the game before I even made it home.
Coaches tend to not like calls that go against him. No matter how great/easy the call is.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 11:42am
TODO: creative title here

#1: Block or no-call... but better to go with a block.
#2: Good call. C could've had a better look than the L, but he was probably more concerned with the dribbler coming into his area.
#3: Nothing. I can understand why the coach was upset, but she had a terrible angle on the play.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

All 3 calls look good to me.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did the coach want a player-control foul or a no call? I can see letting this one go as the offensive player seemed to already be moving away from the hoop, but I have no problem with the call on the floor either. Certainly not on the offense though.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

1. Block or no call I could buy it either way. Good call. Definitely not PC.
2. Thats a good call. Without watching the rest of the game you just now have to make sure anything at that standard is gotten by the group.
3. Good call. It looks bad from 2nd angle and from coaches view probably worse but there is nothing there.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!