The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Traveling?

Offensive player gains possession while having both knees on the floor. Player lifts one knee from the floor to move to a position in which he now has one foot and one knee on the floor. The one knee stayed on the floor the entire time.

Traveling??
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 09:59am
NFHS Official

Some will say yes, some will say no. Any attempt to rise is a travel. I would have a travel.

4.44.5.b...A player, after gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to stand or get up.

Last edited by OKREF; Wed Jan 13, 2016 at 10:07am.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

In what will prove to be a wasted attempt to stop this from turning into another 100 post thread, it depends on whether you judge this to be an "attempt to stand" (or whatever the specific wording is).

Some will say it is.

Some will say it isn't.

Some will say if it's immediately followed by a pass it's legal, if the player remains in that position for any length of time it's a violation.

The specific action has not been covered in any case / interp that I'm aware of.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

To my understanding, NCAA and NFHS have different opinions of this movement.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

ART. 5 . . . A player holding the ball:
a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot
b. After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.

I've passed on a few players taking their knee off the floor, but usually I consider it an attempt to get up

4.44.5B: Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
ART. 5 . . . A player holding the ball:
a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot
b. After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.

I've passed on a few players taking their knee off the floor, but usually I consider it an attempt to get up

4.44.5B: Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling.
Again, it all depends on whether you deem the action an attempt to get or stand up, or if the player was just repositioning. If the player keeps the one knee on the ground and just stays like that for a few seconds, I don't think that would be determined as an attempt to get up.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
To my understanding, NCAA and NFHS have different opinions of this movement.
Correct -- NCAA (at least W) it's only if the pivot foot moves. It always does.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrroberts View Post
Offensive player gains possession while having both knees on the floor. Player lifts one knee from the floor to move to a position in which he now has one foot and one knee on the floor. The one knee stayed on the floor the entire time.

Traveling??
I consider this movement to be a travel. I don't even try to figure out if they are "repositioning" or standing up. It's a travel and we move on.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

They should adopt the NBA rule and make it legal. I never understood the logic behind making this act illegal.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
They should adopt the NBA rule and make it legal. I never understood the logic behind making this act illegal.
What would be the logic for it being legal?
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
What would be the logic for it being legal?
Okay, I'll bite:

4-44-5 b. After gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, (A player holding the ball) may not attempt to get up or stand.

Logic: Humans, as bi-pedal beings, stand on two feet, and an equivalent phrase is "to be up." Therefore, to be on one knee and one foot is not "to stand" nor is it "being up."

4.44.5 SITUATION D: refers to "assume(ing) a standing position" and "attempts to stand."

Logic: "Attempting to stand" must refer to "attempting to come to a position on two feet, as previously stated, a human is a bi-pedal being. (See above.)

4.44.5 SITUATION B: refers to "any attempt to get to the feet" as constituting a violation.

Logic: Note the use of the plural "feet." Thus, this ruling is consistent with the logic previously stated, that is, an attempt to get to a position of "one foot on the floor and the other leg contacting the floor with a knee," does not meet the criteria of standing, or getting up, (See above.)

Not every person who gets in the pool is intending to swim to the other side.

Last edited by Rob1968; Thu Jan 14, 2016 at 02:07am.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Nooooooooooo! Please God no!!!!!!!

The NBA is unwatchable garbage basketball. If anything let's do whatever we can do to make the game less like the NBA!