The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Honigs shirts

Did anyone else buy new Honigs shirts this year? I got two of them (B12 model number on their site) and feel like they are junk. I got the same model a few years ago and the material has changed and is already "pilling" after a half season of use, the fit is not the same (very square fit, not tapered at all), and the black side panel stops at the arm pit and doesn't go all the way down the sleeve like every other side panel shirt I've had.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 12:34pm
Archaic Power Monger

Not for basketball but our football association switched to a new style this past season and the shirts we got from Honig's are pretty awful. Piling very quickly, snagging easily and the fit also seems off. Sounds like they are using the same material and patterns across their product line.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Not for basketball but our football association switched to a new style this past season and the shirts we got from Honig's are pretty awful. Piling very quickly, snagging easily and the fit also seems off. Sounds like they are using the same material and patterns across their product line.
I haven't ordered any this year because of the problems I had last year. I went through 3 different sizes and styles to get one that worked. I ordered an XL in one of their styles, it felt like a M. So then I switched to a different style and figured I should order a XXL. I was swimming in that one. So then I went back and ordered an XXL in the original style, that one fit but it too had quality issues.

I am back to wearing 2 shirts that I have had for a couple of years now. Whats really frustrating with Honigs is the cost of shipping per item each time you have to reorder.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

What vendors have people had SUCCESS and been happy with this year?
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Smitty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I ordered a couple before the season and don't like the neck opening...it's too big for my liking. Way too much of my black undershirt exposed.

It doesn't bother me that the wide panel stops at the underarm and doesn't go into the sleeve.

Smitty is my favorite and will be what I order in the future.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Smitty. Only problem is that it doesn't make my muscles look bigger.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

I am going with Smitty from now on. Honigs changes suppliers often it seems just to save money and it shows.

Does anyone know what Smitty shirt the college officials wear that has the "S" on the back under the neck line? I don't like the open hole mesh type shirt. I like the smoother, silkier type material.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Mine does not have the S, but I ordered from ump-attire.com and got this:

BK-209-S Smitty "Elite" Performance Interlock V-Neck Referee Shirt with Side Panels $24.99

It is the smooth material--100% polyester.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I am going with Smitty from now on. Honigs changes suppliers often it seems just to save money and it shows.

Does anyone know what Smitty shirt the college officials wear that has the "S" on the back under the neck line? I don't like the open hole mesh type shirt. I like the smoother, silkier type material.
Polyester?
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Polyester?
Not the heavy, thick polyester from the 1990s.

The type I don't care for is the mesh with the bigger open holes. I just don't like the look of it personally. The kind that UNI is talking about is a smoother nylon type material that is less "meshy" looking. I have a Smitty like that already but I wasn't sure where it came from.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not the heavy, thick polyester from the 1990s.

The type I don't care for is the mesh with the bigger open holes. I just don't like the look of it personally. The kind that UNI is talking about is a smoother nylon type material that is less "meshy" looking. I have a Smitty like that already but I wasn't sure where it came from.
Yeah, mine is thin and smooth. It's 100% Polyester, sort of feels like a loose under armour shirt.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did anyone else buy new Honigs shirts this year? I got two of them (B12 model number on their site) and feel like they are junk. I got the same model a few years ago and the material has changed and is already "pilling" after a half season of use, the fit is not the same (very square fit, not tapered at all), and the black side panel stops at the arm pit and doesn't go all the way down the sleeve like every other side panel shirt I've had.
I never used anything but Cliff Keen and I love them. They fit great. The material holds up and lasts. A couple I have had a few years and worn many times look like new.

I would recommend them.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 03:48pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
I never used anything but Cliff Keen and I love them. They fit great. The material holds up and lasts. A couple I have had a few years and worn many times look like new.

I would recommend them.

I also am a cliff keen guy with stripes. Reminds me I need to order a wide panel one.....
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 03:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Ugh, if it wasn't for IAABO....