The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Honigs shirts (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100669-honigs-shirts.html)

zm1283 Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:27pm

Honigs shirts

Did anyone else buy new Honigs shirts this year? I got two of them (B12 model number on their site) and feel like they are junk. I got the same model a few years ago and the material has changed and is already "pilling" after a half season of use, the fit is not the same (very square fit, not tapered at all), and the black side panel stops at the arm pit and doesn't go all the way down the sleeve like every other side panel shirt I've had.

Welpe Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:34pm

Not for basketball but our football association switched to a new style this past season and the shirts we got from Honig's are pretty awful. Piling very quickly, snagging easily and the fit also seems off. Sounds like they are using the same material and patterns across their product line.

packersowner Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 976346)
Not for basketball but our football association switched to a new style this past season and the shirts we got from Honig's are pretty awful. Piling very quickly, snagging easily and the fit also seems off. Sounds like they are using the same material and patterns across their product line.

I haven't ordered any this year because of the problems I had last year. I went through 3 different sizes and styles to get one that worked. I ordered an XL in one of their styles, it felt like a M. So then I switched to a different style and figured I should order a XXL. I was swimming in that one. So then I went back and ordered an XXL in the original style, that one fit but it too had quality issues.

I am back to wearing 2 shirts that I have had for a couple of years now. Whats really frustrating with Honigs is the cost of shipping per item each time you have to reorder.

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:55pm

What vendors have people had SUCCESS and been happy with this year?

spret93 Tue Jan 12, 2016 01:35pm

Smitty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BEAREF Tue Jan 12, 2016 01:43pm

I ordered a couple before the season and don't like the neck opening...it's too big for my liking. Way too much of my black undershirt exposed.

It doesn't bother me that the wide panel stops at the underarm and doesn't go into the sleeve.

Smitty is my favorite and will be what I order in the future.

UNIgiantslayers Tue Jan 12, 2016 01:59pm

Smitty. Only problem is that it doesn't make my muscles look bigger.

zm1283 Tue Jan 12, 2016 02:09pm

I am going with Smitty from now on. Honigs changes suppliers often it seems just to save money and it shows.

Does anyone know what Smitty shirt the college officials wear that has the "S" on the back under the neck line? I don't like the open hole mesh type shirt. I like the smoother, silkier type material.

UNIgiantslayers Tue Jan 12, 2016 02:12pm

Mine does not have the S, but I ordered from ump-attire.com and got this:

BK-209-S Smitty "Elite" Performance Interlock V-Neck Referee Shirt with Side Panels $24.99

It is the smooth material--100% polyester.

Dad Tue Jan 12, 2016 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 976366)
I am going with Smitty from now on. Honigs changes suppliers often it seems just to save money and it shows.

Does anyone know what Smitty shirt the college officials wear that has the "S" on the back under the neck line? I don't like the open hole mesh type shirt. I like the smoother, silkier type material.

Polyester?

zm1283 Tue Jan 12, 2016 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 976370)
Polyester?

Not the heavy, thick polyester from the 1990s.

The type I don't care for is the mesh with the bigger open holes. I just don't like the look of it personally. The kind that UNI is talking about is a smoother nylon type material that is less "meshy" looking. I have a Smitty like that already but I wasn't sure where it came from.

UNIgiantslayers Tue Jan 12, 2016 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 976372)
Not the heavy, thick polyester from the 1990s.

The type I don't care for is the mesh with the bigger open holes. I just don't like the look of it personally. The kind that UNI is talking about is a smoother nylon type material that is less "meshy" looking. I have a Smitty like that already but I wasn't sure where it came from.

Yeah, mine is thin and smooth. It's 100% Polyester, sort of feels like a loose under armour shirt.

SD Referee Tue Jan 12, 2016 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 976343)
Did anyone else buy new Honigs shirts this year? I got two of them (B12 model number on their site) and feel like they are junk. I got the same model a few years ago and the material has changed and is already "pilling" after a half season of use, the fit is not the same (very square fit, not tapered at all), and the black side panel stops at the arm pit and doesn't go all the way down the sleeve like every other side panel shirt I've had.

I never used anything but Cliff Keen and I love them. They fit great. The material holds up and lasts. A couple I have had a few years and worn many times look like new.

I would recommend them.

BlueDevilRef Tue Jan 12, 2016 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Referee (Post 976375)
I never used anything but Cliff Keen and I love them. They fit great. The material holds up and lasts. A couple I have had a few years and worn many times look like new.

I would recommend them.

I also am a cliff keen guy with stripes. Reminds me I need to order a wide panel one.....

Adam Tue Jan 12, 2016 03:58pm

Ugh, if it wasn't for IAABO....