The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

history of backcourt

After watching outrage at a freshman game when the officials (correctly) did not call a back court violation when a player stopped with one foot in the front court and threw the ball to a teammate in the back court, I was trying to remember back in the day. My recollection was that it used to be that once a foot was in the front court, it couldn't come back to the back court, nor could the ball be passed back. Did that used to be the rule, or was that just a misconception/myth from my playing days?
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 02:23pm
Administrator

Help needed from FIBA Officials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
After watching outrage at a freshman game when the officials (correctly) did not call a back court violation when a player stopped with one foot in the front court and threw the ball to a teammate in the back court, I was trying to remember back in the day. My recollection was that it used to be that once a foot was in the front court, it couldn't come back to the back court, nor could the ball be passed back. Did that used to be the rule, or was that just a misconception/myth from my playing days?

That may be a misconception/myth from your playing days. I know that the FIBA Backcourt Rule is not the same as NFHS/NCAA Men's & Women's Rules. I know that FIBA does not have the Three Points Rule with respect to a dribbler. I have not been a USA Basketball Official for ten years but I still try to stay up on FIBA Rules. Hopefully one of our brothers or sisters from the Great White North can elaborate more on the FIBA Backourt Rule.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Mark. I was thinking of NFHS rules from back when.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
That may be a misconception/myth from your playing days. I know that the FIBA Backcourt Rule is not the same as NFHS/NCAA Men's & Women's Rules. I know that FIBA does not have the Three Points Rule with respect to a dribbler. I have not been a USA Basketball Official for ten years but I still try to stay up on FIBA Rules. Hopefully one of our brothers or sisters from the Great White North can elaborate more on the FIBA Backourt Rule.

MTD, Sr.
I'm unfamiliar with differences between FIBA and NFHS/NCAA. Not sure if you know the answer to this or not, but if they don't have a 3 points of contact rule for dribblers, then how do they officiate a play where a player is close? If he steps a toe on the timeline, is he committed to bring himself and the ball into the front court?