The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

2 and 1 or 2 free throws?

2-man mechanics, Lead is on the endline, right side of the lane, Trail is towards the center of the floor, on ball, when the following play occurs:

A1 drives from the top of the circle, on the right side of the lane, and as he is in the air, in the act of shooting, a secondary defender fouls him on the arm. The ball goes up, higher than the rim, and as it comes down, it lands in the hands of the shooter, below the height of the rim.
Immediately, a defender hits up at the ball, striking the shooter's hand which is under the ball, which causes the ball to fly upward, and as the players land, the ball falls directly through the basket.

Should the basket count, with one free throw to be awarded?

Or, should the shot be considered as unsuccessful, and two free throws be awarded?
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 07:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Shot ended, 2 shot foul.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Shot ended, 2 shot foul.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Thanks, BNR. I was Trail on the play, and had deferred the call to my Lead, as the offender/fouler was a secondary defender. As soon as the play ended, I conferred with him, and explained that the shot had ended, when the ball had come down below the rim height. And, that the second upward travel of the ball, and subsequent falling through the basket, should not count.

The coach of the shooter's team said that the basket should have counted, because the shooter was still in the air.
Much to the disapproval of the coach, we disallowed the basket, and put the shooter on the line for 2 free throws.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 08:14pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Thanks, BNR. I was Trail on the play, and had deferred the call to my Lead, as the offender/fouler was a secondary defender. As soon as the play ended, I conferred with him, and explained that the shot had ended, when the ball had come down below the rim height. And, that the second upward travel of the ball, and subsequent falling through the basket, should not count.

The coach of the shooter's team said that the basket should have counted, because the shooter was still in the air.
Much to the disapproval of the coach, we disallowed the basket, and put the shooter on the line for 2 free throws.
I believe dropping below the rim isn't why the shot ended. I think it ended when it landed back in the shooters hand. Just my opinion.
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I believe dropping below the rim isn't why the shot ended. I think it ended when it landed back in the shooters hand. Just my opinion.

One of the ways in which a try ends is when it's clearly unsuccessful. When the ball fell below rim level, this criterion was met. The fact that the shooter ended up with the ball is irrelevant, because the ball was already dead at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 03, 2016, 09:18pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
One of the ways in which a try ends is when it's clearly unsuccessful. When the ball fell below rim level, this criterion was met. The fact that the shooter ended up with the ball is irrelevant, because the ball was already dead at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay