The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Video Request: Block/Charge

12/30/15: Syracuse @ Pitt, ESPN2, call at 5.6 remaining first half.

I don't usually ask for B/C videos (there are no shortage of requests each season), but this one had me perplexed. Defender was outside the RA, so that's not the issue.

Saving my thoughts for later. Want to see how the discussion goes once the video is up.

Side discussions could include whether C got too excited about the secondary defender coming over and therefore missed an illegal screen on the primary defender as the drive began.

Last edited by crosscountry55; Wed Dec 30, 2015 at 10:17pm.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Here you are sir...

https://youtu.be/91B_2CupZ4o

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

I think L had defender still moving forward ad the offensive player left the ground.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO, this is a block at all levels.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 11:54pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Side discussions could include whether C got too excited about the secondary defender coming over and therefore missed an illegal screen on the primary defender as the drive began.
C has a very late whistle so I doubt he is getting super excited about the secondary defender coming over. Plus the screen is legal at that level and every level below that too IMO.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

About as close as you can get. I'd have had a block too.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Don't think I see an illegal screen and a block looks like the right call.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Block....still moving in after the shooter left the floor.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 02:17am
Administrator

1) I would have expected my first year students to get this call correct: CHARGE!!

2) I do not use the term "secondary defender" because there is no such thing as a "secondary defender" contrary to it being in the NCAA Men's and Women's Rules Books. The members of these two rules committees, may be very good basketball coaches but the addition of the term "secondary defender" and the "restricted area" to the rules show that they are completely lacking in the basic concepts of the Guarding Rule as it was conceived over fifty years ago.

The Guarding Rule was written based upon the following three concepts:

(1) An Offensive Player without the Ball has a reasonable expectation of not being defended because he/she does not have the Ball.

(2) An Offensive Player who does not have control of the should be expected to be guarded the instant he/she gains control of the Ball; meaning that the Offensive Player should expect to be guarded as long as he/she has Player Control if the Ball.

(3) An Offensive Player in control of the ball cannot drive the lane and go airborne indiscriminately. An Offensive Player in control of the Ball must make a decision before he goes airborne: "Can I return to the floor before making contact with a Defensive Player who has taken a legal position on the floor before I go airborne?" The "restricted area" allows the Offensive Player with the Ball to drive the lane and go airborne indiscriminately.

One can see how these Concepts are applied in the countless Casebook Plays and Approved Rulings that have been written over the last five decades.

It is late and past my bed time and I do not want to get riled up thinking of the clueless members of the NCAA Basketball Rules Committees.

Good night all.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Block....still moving in after the shooter left the floor.
Are you sure? Looks like he stops with both feet on the ground and then braces for impact. The bracing looks kinda goofy but I'm not calling it a block for just that aspect of the call.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 07:54am
High Five Master

I'd say block as well. The very last view shows the defender moving forward and to his left which causes him to chuck Gbinije with side and not take contact straight on.

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I'd say block as well. The very last view shows the defender moving forward and to his left which causes him to chuck Gbinije with side and not take contact straight on.

I wish I had a cool signature

Gold star, sir! When I first watched it from the standard camera angle, I thought for sure it was a charge. Seeing it from the L's angle (after watching it ten times), I finally convinced myself that it was a block based on that left shoulder injection. Subtle, but not a recoil action, especially at that level. Great call by the L. I think the defender got LGP before both of the shooter's feet left the floor, but then he gave it up by moving that shoulder forward outside of his vertical plane where contact occurred.

As for the C, agree it was a late whistle, but I'm just critiquing that I thought he was a little too quick to abandon the two high post defenders at the beginning of the drive. You could tell from his slide down and his eyes. Illegal screen or not up high, my point is that I don't think he even had an opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 08:56am
This IS My Social Life

The Initial Sometimes Leads to the Inevitable

I'm working this season on a principle that might well apply here. Your feedback on this is invited. I'm still in the middle of studying it.
And I'm not assessing the call made in this clip. I'm only bringing up for discussion the mechanic which, for many, can explain why so many officials seem always to default to a block on plays that are actually charges.
Note what the first, immediate, impulsive motion for the lead was on this call.
He starts immediately, with no pause or hesitation, going straight up with both arms. That locks him into one call and one call only, a block. His initial, impulsive motion is a precursor to this inevitable result.
Whereas, if the first impulse is, as is approved, a single fist in the air, then the signal, either block or charge, that gives the official just that little bit of a fraction of a second to digest what just happened so that a charge is at least given a chance to be called if warraned.
I'm not saying this is a universal thing for all, but it seems to be a valid observation as I've been studying video of block/charge calls on the high school and college level more this year.
Again, I'm not debating the call in the clip. Only the initial, seemingly impulsive start of the signal that might often lead to a default call which isn't always correct.
Am I on the right track with this? Or am I all wet?

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Dec 31, 2015 at 08:58am.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 09:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

2) I do not use the term "secondary defender" because there is no such thing as a "secondary defender" contrary to it being in the NCAA Men's and Women's Rules Books. The members of these two rules committees, may be very good basketball coaches but the addition of the term "secondary defender" and the "restricted area" to the rules show that they are completely lacking in the basic concepts of the Guarding Rule as it was conceived over fifty years ago....
How is this relevant to the actual words printed in the 2015-16 Rule and Case books and what the officials working NCAA games are supposed to do?

So you are going to tell a college official to ignore the RA when they are working a college game?
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Evolution sucks.
I summarized your post.