The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 02:48pm
In Time Out

Redux

Too early to close that thread. If you want to say I'm a fanboy, sure but too many of you are refboys who feel the need to always defend refs from the likes of Jay Bilas who you know may actually be right once in a while. Ok that's not true, he's right only on Tuesdays. But sometimes games are poorly officiated and the one I saw last night was. Again, there have been some very good games going on that I have seen on TV and full props to the refs. The star player on the team I was rooting for fouled out which he rarely does and I have never seen him get angry like he did and the coach was holding him back from going at a ref. This is basically like a Tim Duncan or Dirk N type player who rarely goes after refs. I think there were 6 fouls called in the first 5 minutes on the team I was rotting for in the second half and then bonus a few minutes after. The double digit lead gone. Teams have to change how they play and it messes up how they want to play. Fans don't want to see a FT shooting contest. The other games I saw played and some were losses the games were officiated just fine. There is going to be variations in consistency but this was way off the median.

It was an internet broadcast with the commentators for the opposing school.
This was a play that occurred
Ball goes into the post. Whistle blows. Me- "Oh come on, that was ticky-tack" Commentator- "must have got him for the arm bar in the post" Offensive post player goes to the FT line. But wait, it turns out the center or the trail blew the whistle. It was an off-ball foul. Refs huddle, confusion over who to put on the line (that can happen, not blaming them for that) foul is called on one of the guards. Replay- "commentator people, "not sure where the foul was, I guess he put his hands on him" That's the home team commentators questioning the call. There wasn't a foul. When a defender off ball is guarding someone close, and the offensive player makes a cut or goes around the 3 point line which was the case here, there may be the slightest bit of contact. If it is a hold or impeding of movement then sure make the call. But there were fouls called when the offensive player jabs a bit into the defensive player, some contact and the refs mistakenly think there is a freedom of movement restriction. Watch the whole play and learn to ignore those calls when the offensive player is not restricted. I don't see these fouls called at the bigger stage. It's bad for TV and it's bad for everyone involved in the game if they are. The way the game was being called, ridiculous "over the back" calls, fouls whenever someone drove the lane. How can you play defense with refs calling it that way? I honestly believe some refs don't know what incidental contact means despite officiating for years. I know it can be a hard call, but far too many refs blow the whistle whenever there is a drive. If the offensive player jumps up, bodies contort, some contact usually made by the offensive player making the the drive to the basket, these refs blow the whistle despite the defender making in what my opinion was a perfectly natural defensive play. No contact on the arms, just a bit of body contact. Again, the team I was rooting for got these calls and I thought some of them were bad calls. I don't see those calls done at the same frequency for the top 25 TV games.

And to any new refs- on the push/over the back call. If someone in position gets the board it is ok to ignore a bit of contact in the back. Maybe the other player's arm reaches over, maybe there bodies' hit a bit. If it rises to a level where there was too much contact call the foul, or where it will allow the ball to get tipped away then sure call it. But for F's sake, you don't need to always blow the whistle just because there was a bit of contact.

Last edited by mutantducky; Thu Dec 24, 2015 at 02:50pm.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 03:00pm
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
I think there were 6 fouls called in the first 5 minutes on the team I was rotting for
If that's what they were doing, no wonder they were losing.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 03:31pm
High Five Master

Blah blah, my team likes to play rough and can't adjust and it's the refs being paid off by the other team. Blah blah blah

Dude, just stop. No ref is perfect but your whining this way and blaming them is crap.

There is a focus on returning the game to the way it was designed to be played, as a fluid, free flowing non violent/contact sport.

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 03:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Redux

And a timeout for the duck. See you in the new year.

I was going to lock the thread, but figure some real official might want to have fun with the latest duck diarrhea.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 03:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Who cares??? Every game has a call someone does not like. Get over it already.

Oh and you are on an officiating site. People are not going to just go along with some fanboy stuff. Obviously you do not know the origin of the term "fanboy." It has little to do with being a fan of a team. It is an internet term.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 04:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
And to any new refs- on the push/over the back call.
There's no such call as "over the back".
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 05:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I was on the fence between locking it and deleting it.

If you want to rant about the quality of officiating in general, find somewhere else.

If you want to break down a specific call (or calls) and question why it was made, go for it. Many here may even agree with your opinion and acknowledge the ref may have gotten it wrong on the court.

Just keep in mind the folks answering your questions have actually called a lot of basketball games and can tell the difference between incidental contact and a foul. We used to think highly of Bilas. He does a great job understanding the rules, even if he doesn't seem to have a clue on how to enforce them.

Now, I've spent way too much time taking an unserious post too seriously.
Old Thu Dec 24, 2015, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

If you want to rant about the quality of officiating in general, find somewhere else.

If you want to break down a specific call (or calls) and question why it was made, go for it. Many here may even agree with your opinion and acknowledge the ref may have gotten it wrong on the court.

Just keep in mind the folks answering your questions have actually called a lot of basketball games and can tell the difference between incidental contact and a foul. We used to think highly of Bilas. He does a great job understanding the rules, even if he doesn't seem to have a clue on how to enforce them.

Now, I've spent way too much time taking an unserious post too seriously.
If mutant posts a video or scenario, I generally don't even have to watch it. I already know who is correct and who is wrong.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Either option works for me...
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 03:29am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
There's no such call as "over the back".
Sure there is, it's just not a rule book term.
Old Fri Dec 25, 2015, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Read your post until you said "Come on, that was ticky tack". I stopped reading. Anyone who reacts that way is not an official and is a fan. Nothing wrong with being a fan. But I come here to listen to officials, share with officials, debate with officials. Get that point.

It doesn't make you a bad person and it doesn't mean that you were not correct. Some of my fouls are "ticky tack", I use the term marginal. Discussing officiating with fans is like trying to convince a gun owner that gun control is needed. You ain't gonna change their minds.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2015, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

When a coach says "that was a ticky-tack foul" I reply with "So we agree that it was a foul? Good".
Old Sun Dec 27, 2015, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Anyone else notice in the quickly closed thread inquiring about when the clock should stop on a made goal that was started by this same OP under another username which resulted in his banning that the poster lacks knowledge of something so basic (the proper clock stoppage), yet feels fully qualified to judge what contact the D1 officials should deem a foul?

To quote a previous, prolific poster on this forum, "Lah, me."
Old Sun Dec 27, 2015, 05:27am
AremRed

Dude, you weren't banned on a whim. Your original thread lacked focus and came across as you complaining as a fan -- not trying to learn from the situation which is the very purpose of this forum. Then, when an admin decided to close your thread you decided that you were not done and opened a new thread to continue what you had started.

I dunno about you, but that seems pretty disrespectful to the person who closed your thread. He basically stop-signed you "no more" and then you ran right through it. Of course you're gonna get banned for not heeding the warning. And then you decided to circumvent the ban by creating a new account -- which is again disrespectful to the person who banned you. As someone who has been banned for doing that very thing, you should have taken your punishment like a man and sat out a while.

Instead you had to get your point across and kept setting yourself up for the mods to take action. You said you got banned for a week, maybe that was a little long for the offense but that's their judgement. And maybe you didn't know creating a new account to avoid a ban is a permanent offense -- the rules aren't exactly super clearly posted somewhere. Regardless, at each turn you had opportunity to stop. You failed to check yourself and eventually wrecked yourself. Sorry dude.
Old Sun Dec 27, 2015, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

good riddance. I don't recall ever reading a beneficial post from this user. The forum will be a better place with him gone.