The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Whacked my first of the season tonight

Coach was whining all night. Whatever, I can handle that. Gets animated about a couple, raising his voice. I'm not large and he played D1 as a lineman so he is known for trying to bully his way into calls. He's yelling about a foul at one point (screaming and carrying on). I say "coach, enough." He stops, but I know more is coming. His girl goes in out of control and I don't hit my whistle because defender had LGP and his girl went into her while she's backpedling. All of a sudden I hear his clipboard smack the floor HARD. I knew exactly what he did and whacked him. My partner at halftime said "Man, I was gonna hit him with the Boston Tea Party but before I could even get the breath to hit the whistle, you were already done with the T and telling him to put his seatbelt on." I'm normally slow to T them up, and try not to be a dick but that was a no brainer. Hope you guys have a good Friday night slate of games!
Old Sat Dec 12, 2015, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

So you whacked him but didn't see what he did?. 😱
Ballsy!
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Coach was whining all night. Whatever, I can handle that. Gets animated about a couple, raising his voice. I'm not large and he played D1 as a lineman so he is known for trying to bully his way into calls. He's yelling about a foul at one point (screaming and carrying on). I say "coach, enough." He stops, but I know more is coming. His girl goes in out of control and I don't hit my whistle because defender had LGP and his girl went into her while she's backpedling. All of a sudden I hear his clipboard smack the floor HARD. I knew exactly what he did and whacked him. My partner at halftime said "Man, I was gonna hit him with the Boston Tea Party but before I could even get the breath to hit the whistle, you were already done with the T and telling him to put his seatbelt on." I'm normally slow to T them up, and try not to be a dick but that was a no brainer. Hope you guys have a good Friday night slate of games!

Takin' care of business isn't being a dick.

They are the ones being a dick with the poor behaviour. You just happen to be the one telling them they can't do that.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah I don't have a huge problem whacking them. Some officials around here are REALLY reticent to issue a technical. I'm not sure why.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Do you think it is because they will get a rep and their arbiter might think they have a fast whistle? I am sure it goes through the minds of a lot. And why we must have a line that our leadership agrees with.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah I don't have a huge problem whacking them. Some officials around here are REALLY reticent to issue a technical. I'm not sure why.
Don't have a huge problem? Sounds like you have zero problem no-look whackin' coaches.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Don't have a huge problem? Sounds like you have zero problem no-look whackin' coaches.
He was the only guy with a clipboard. A clipboard that falls out of the hands doesn't echo like that. That was a no-doubter. Should I have looked first? That's an honest question.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I don't need to look at a coach to know what he said or did.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 01:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I don't need to look at a coach to know what he said or did.
Nope. I had a clipboard slammer one of my first years working (probably late 1980s). The metal clip broke off and slid across the floor in front of me. Whack. Did I see him slam the clipboard? Nope. Did I think twice about the technical foul? Nope.

I once ejected a baserunner from a baseball game in Europe for saying some words to me in a language I didn't understand. Got that one right, too.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

You waited way too long to handle this. Let me share with you how I would have dealt with this coach.
My comments are inserted below in red.

Quote:
Coach was whining all night. Whatever, I can handle that. [After the second or third whiny comment, he gets told "I've heard enough of that, coach." I'm certainly not listening to it all game.] Gets animated about a couple, raising his voice. I'm not large and he played D1 as a lineman so he is known for trying to bully his way into calls. He's yelling about a foul at one point (screaming and carrying on). I say "coach, enough." [I whack him right here. His behavior is poor and unsporting.] He stops, but I know more is coming. His girl goes in out of control and I don't hit my whistle because defender had LGP and his girl went into her while she's backpedling. All of a sudden I hear his clipboard smack the floor HARD. I knew exactly what he did and whacked him. [Second T comes here and he leaves.] My partner at halftime said "Man, I was gonna hit him with the Boston Tea Party but before I could even get the breath to hit the whistle, you were already done with the T and telling him to put his seatbelt on." I'm normally slow to T them up, and try not to be a dick but that was a no brainer. Hope you guys have a good Friday night slate of games!
You are too slow to deal with the initial bad behavior and so it escalates throughout the game. You need to address the problem sooner and make it known that you will not tolerate it. Frequently, this prevents the blow-up.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input, I'm here to learn. I have them again tomorrow night, so I'll keep the short leash thing for sure.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 01:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Thanks for the input, I'm here to learn. I have them again tomorrow night, so I'll keep the short leash thing for sure.
The game starts as any other -- fresh slate for them and for you.

But the advice above is good. Shut down the whining early, warn, and then whack if that's what's called for.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The game starts as any other -- fresh slate for them and for you.

But the advice above is good. Shut down the whining early, warn, and then whack if that's what's called for.
To be fair, he told us he gave coach the stop sign in the OP.

So, he effectively W n' W. aka Warned and Whacked.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"...you were already done with the T and telling him to put his seatbelt on."
The recommended procedure in my area when you T a coach is to report the foul and walk away. Let your partner remind him that he needs to take a seat while the free throws are being administered. This helps diffuse the situation rather than potentially escallating to a second T.

Last edited by HokiePaul; Tue Dec 15, 2015 at 11:42am.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 11:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

I recommend that no official goes near the coach while the free throws are being attempted. A coach is going to vent and will likely not sit down immediately -- there's no reason to throw fuel on the fire.

If the coach isn't seated by the time we're ready to move on, then one of the non-calling officials needs to slide over there and remind him. Most times this isn't necessary.