The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 02:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'd take a whistle for the AP arrow and would wonder if I actually moved it to the other pocket.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 02:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
The more you officiate the more everything will come together. After a couple years you'll glance at the table/scoreboard without even thinking about it to make sure it was switched.

Until then, I'm of the opinion it's a decent option for officials who are overwhelmed by all the information they are trying to retain. It's a good idea to not make it a habit as it'll take you longer to progress as an official. As far as table awareness goes, the end goal is to keep track of arrow/points going up/fouls/time without it being a nuisance.
I think the mental energy required to train oneself to move the chapstick/whistle/rubberband from one side to another is better spent training oneself to watch the arrow change after each AP throw in.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 02:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I think the mental energy required to train oneself to move the chapstick/whistle/rubberband from one side to another is better spent training oneself to watch the arrow change after each AP throw in.
As well as checking scoreboard to ensure the Team Fouls change after each foul. Game management stuff that shows assignors you're into all aspects of the game, not just running up and down the court blowing your whistle.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Well said... I'm going to have to agree.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 02:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
As well as checking scoreboard to ensure the Team Fouls change after each foul. Game management stuff that shows assignors you're into all aspects of the game, not just running up and down the court blowing your whistle.
I also never look at the scoreboard. I usually do not have the perspective for that direction. I just try to remember who we gave the ball to last and go from there. I usually time stamp it in my mind as well. That has worked much better than anything.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I put a safety pin in my bag a few years ago. In a pinch it can work for a few different things:

- mending a broken button on pants
-pulling a shoelace through a hole (frayed lace)
- releasing fluid from a blister
- picking the door lock to the AD's office where you dress, because they forget that you have to get in there to change
- poking your eye out after a game for the partner who wants to review in detail every rule that might have been called into question during the last 75 minutes.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 03:20pm
AremRed

Quote:
I will always know what the time is, what the general score differential is, where the team fouls are, watch to see if points are added after PC foul, and look at the arrow after having an AP throw-in but watching the team fouls to make sure they change after every one seems a little over-the-top. What's case for why this is important?
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

I take at least two of everything just in case a partner(s) forgot something. This includes two jackets. Luckily I've never had to lend someone a pair of shoes because that's disgusting.

Ibuprofen for old people who whine everything hurts.

Pen

Extra rule books to throw at coaches
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 03:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I will always know what the time is, what the general score differential is, where the team fouls are, watch to see if points are added after PC foul, and look at the arrow after having an AP throw-in but watching the team fouls to make sure they change after every one seems a little over-the-top. What's case for why this is important?
So you need a crutch to determine something that many of the top officials can do on their own?

Peace
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 03:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Hmm, maybe to prevent any correctable errors, but that's just me.

I've corrected the scoreboard on TFs at least 4-5 times this season so far. Saturday I actually had a scoreboard without TF indicators. I knew the TFs in my head and confirmed them at least once each quarter. I was never wrong either.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 03:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Hmm, maybe to prevent any correctable errors, but that's just me.

I've corrected the scoreboard on TFs at least 4-5 times this season so far. Saturday I actually had a scoreboard without TF indicators. I knew the TFs in my head and confirmed them at least once each quarter. I was never wrong either.
That is how many of us started. Many clocks did not have all the information with TF, timeouts or even possession arrow. Just the time and the score and the bonus light in some cases. There were places that did not even have the light on the scoreboard in certain gyms. You have to be in-tune to the game or you would have some serious mistakes.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 03:39pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
So you need a crutch to determine something that many of the top officials can do on their own?
Crutch? What am I using as a crutch?
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 03:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 03:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If you have to rely on a device or something in your pocket to determine only one aspect of the game when you use your memory or being in-tune to the game to not make a mistake, that is a crutch to me.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 05:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Now, Belts Are Only Allowed In My Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO (International) doesn't allow us to wear belts anymore. That's why I switched to black suspenders.
Quote:
How did I miss your post announcing this?
https://forum.officiating.com/basket...tml#post967642

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...tml#post966409

Yeah. That's right. We're a bunch of rebels here in our little corner of Connecticut. We're not going to allow a bunch of IAABO International bureaucrats dictate how we hold up our pants. And if I want to roll up a pack of cigarettes in the sleeve of my black and white striped jersey when I officiate, then I'll just go ahead and do that.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 17, 2015 at 06:22pm.